got my KOM!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a particular segment that I build into my commute when I go home the long way. It's basically 25 minutes of hill climbing pain and because of the route has only a few people on the leaderboard.. I'm pretty close to the top of but I've only ever done it on my heavy bike, usually with a load and after a day at work. I reckon if I got my best bike out and smashed it on a good day I'd have a chance of a KOM but it just seems like that would be cheating.

bpsmith

Veteran
There's a particular segment that I build into my commute when I go home the long way. It's basically 25 minutes of hill climbing pain and because of the route has only a few people on the leaderboard.. I'm pretty close to the top of but I've only ever done it on my heavy bike, usually with a load and after a day at work. I reckon if I got my best bike out and smashed it on a good day I'd have a chance of a KOM but it just seems like that would be cheating.
Do you think the current KOM was done fully loaded at the end of a busy workday then?

bpsmith

Veteran
Same here. It's one of the reasons I don't bother going for KOMs. There's a short climb that takes me just under 2 minutes that the top people do in 43 seconds. I'll never be fit enough for that! Plus, some of the segments can probably only be done at 3am like the blast through a local town centre.
I have only been into this for a year, after no exercise in far too long. I am looking to get to the level of these top 8 guys. I know it's futile, but you have to aim for something.

andyfraser

Über Member
I have only been into this for a year, after no exercise in far too long. I am looking to get to the level of these top 8 guys. I know it's futile, but you have to aim for something.
I aim for getting home in one piece without getting too knackered! Luckily I'm pretty fit and can keep up with the other commuters.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do you think the current KOM was done fully loaded at the end of a busy workday then?
Probably not but it's sort of a challenge I've set myself to see how fast I can get up that hill on that particular bike. And wouldn't it be great to get a KOM on my way home from work, on my heavy bike? As it is, I'm really only using Strava to track my fitness against myself, but I'm so close on this segment.

FWIW I need to find eight seconds to get 4th, then there's a big jump of 32 seconds to 3rd then four seconds to 1st=.

huwsparky

Über Member
Got my first one about a month ago. Only 7 people done it!!!

I have a friend that has over 70 KOM's but thankfully he has chosen to let me keep mine.... For the time being anyway!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Now that's a good one, might have to come and take that one from you.:laugh:
I'm surprised none of my club mates have taken it yet tbh. I'm not the fastest in the group, but that day it just went right ^_^ There's quite a few single track roads on it & I only had to slow twice for cars which certainly helped

Steady

Über Member
As mentioned earlier , far easier to get QOM's so I've got a few "worthless" ones that nobody competes for, but there's certain ones that are hot property I've managed to snag and go out specifically to defend a few times, usually short sprinting segments.

One should be perfect though, lovely rarely used bus/cycle lane, with no parallel lanes, no junctions, shared use path next to it, just a one way bus Lane that unfortunately gets very popular with cars abusing it in the Summer.

Met a car at the mouth of the junction as I turned into it, the car coming wrong way, scared me a little to think if I'd gone wider into it (which I have before) I'd of been in the central line for it. Haven't been back since, but still have the QOM. :-)

When the local PCSO's on bikes get posted there of course nothing like that happens.

andyfraser

Über Member
I accidentally got a 4th today. I just went out for a quick loop and decided to go round a residential road rather than along the main road. I was taking it quite easy I felt. So imagine my surprise to find out it was a Strava segment and I got 4th. To be fair its not a popular segment.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I reckon if I got my best bike out and smashed it on a good day I'd have a chance of a KOM but it just seems like that would be cheating.
Why oh why would that be cheating? :wacko: The only bit of cheating you're doing now is cheating yourself! I don't think you would get that KOM :whistle: ..... just sayin' :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I ve ran a few gps's phones side by side and they were virtually always out by 1sec.
surely my garmin would be more accurate then a mobile telephone? in any case my garmin has registered it at that time and speed and strava has registered it as a KOM so i'm happy!
not cheating in any way shape or form!
Cheers Ed

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now that Strava has been going for a few years the reality is that the only way to compete on a KoM is by using your best bike, absolutely killing yourself and doing it with a decent following wind. My downhill KoMs are all done with strong following winds. They are impossible to get close to in any other conditions

I don't see any of that as cheating. Drafting a group ride with the specific aim of sprinting off the front near the end of the segment. Now that's cheating

bpsmith

Veteran
Now that Strava has been going for a few years the reality is that the only way to compete on a KoM is by using your best bike, absolutely killing yourself and doing it with a decent following wind. My downhill KoMs are all done with strong following winds. They are impossible to get close to in any other conditions

I don't see any of that as cheating. Drafting a group ride with the specific aim of sprinting off the front near the end of the segment. Now that's cheating
Look real hard at the top 10 and you will regularly see 2 or more people in there, who did that segment on the same day at the same time strangely.

I haven't done it yet, but a group of us in work have talked about potentially doing it at some point, as not only does it take the KOM, but it knocks them down a number of places on one go. Lol.

Again, is it cheating when you know that's how the faster time was achieved? (Rhetorical question)

Top Bottom