got my KOM!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Congrats! I don't think I'll ever get a KOM but I am chuffed when I get in the top 100! :smile:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
You need to give us details of the segment so when we're over that way we can "go and take a look"
exactly why i decided not to post it! i know that certain members such as @ianrauk and @rb58 are down this way occasionally and are rather fast
All good fun Ed, but try to get one that's up a steep hill to see how strong you really are, some people are just machines.
got one that i used to like which had a steep but short 'power climb' in it but i stopped doing that after i woke up to just dangerous it is to cross the road over a live lane on a blind corner at high speed (probably at least 20 or more mph) without thinking!
the offending corner and the line to take in red:
millroadclimbturning_zps65f3b0e4.jpg

Sex change time ... it's much easier for a woman than a man to get a KOM! Though my favourite KOM that I worked hard to get, I've beaten a male friend on so I'm really pleased!
bit hard to get KOM if you are a gal but a QOM is slightly more achievable!
The trouble is if I had a sex change I'd probably never go out again, let alone get on a bike!
TBH if i were to have a sex change i don't think i would act different to what i currently do :smile:
Cheers Ed

moo

Just be careful when gunning for those KOMs. It's easy to get into a zone where you stop following good practise on the road.

I need a 50% increase in power and a strong wind to beat some of the riders around here. I'm now the wrong side of 35 for that to happen :sad:

All of my KOM's (bar 1) are my segments:laugh:. I'm a bit of a barsteward TBH. One is pretty much a 6 mile climb, that gets steeper as you get to the end, one is an 82 mile segment, and the other one is a steep downhill, with speed humps all the way along it, and a blind right angle corner at the bottom^_^

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
22.5 mph for 0.9 miles pretty much shot me!
Cheers Ed
Is the 0.9 miles a straight road Ed? One of my fav segments is a 1 mile dead straight and flat road. Love smashing it down there, time the lights that are about an eighth of a mile beforehand, spin your legs up before the start line then BOOM! ! ! Love it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
@moo this seg,ent is a tiny quiet back road where it would be safe enough to ride all over the road if you wanted to as it might see 3 or 4 cars a day, of course i always ride on the left hand side and abort the segment if there is a car coming :sad:

@Racing roadkill does anybody else ride your 82 mile one? i doubt anyone goes that exact same route! and the others either stupid or lethal!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Is the 0.9 miles a straight road Ed? One of my fav segments is a 1 mile dead straight and flat road. Love smashing it down there, time the lights that are about an eigth of a mile before hand, spin your legs up before the start line then BOOM! ! ! Love it!
sounds like drag racing on a bike! not straight unfortunately :sad: i build up my speed before hand on another road and then turn off down onto the segment and smash it down the first bit and through a couple of corners that feel rather sharp on a fairly narrow road at high speed and then down a short straight through a slight left hand and then another slightly longer straight and then through a mild corner or two to go for the final straight with the segment ending at the end of the road at a T junction which is onto an equally quiet road so i just over shoot straight out onto the other road to stop so as not to have to slow down on the segment

you see i got this segment all worked out! what sort of speed can you average on your mile straight? can you pretty much own the road all to your self like mine or do you have to share it with other traffic and cars etc?
Cheers Ed

@moo this seg,ent is a tiny quiet back road where it would be safe enough to ride all over the road if you wanted to as it might see 3 or 4 cars a day, of course i always ride on the left hand side and abort the segment if there is a car coming :sad:

@Racing roadkill does anybody else ride your 82 mile one? i doubt anyone goes that exact same route! and the others either stupid or lethal!
Cheers Ed
Bang on there. I've gpx'd the long one, it's a case of following the Garmin, as yet no one has. There have been a few attempts on the stupid one, and one attempt on the lethal one (that I know of).

bpsmith

Veteran
This is one of my favourites, that is tackled by a few mates too.

http://www.strava.com/segments/5073269?filter=overall

I am sitting joint 9th presently. My mate, Carl Jones, is also in joint 9th, although he got that before me. Another mate, Jason Statham (not the real one), is in 3rd. I am desperate to equal the 3rd place position, but I reckon he had some serious tailwind that day. It's only 3 seconds difference, but the marginal gains at that sort of pace are proving hard to get!

Since I got me best time, there have been only 2 other attempts that come close. The wind is the issue. Rarely do you get a tailwind. It's usually either a headwind or, more often, a cross wind as its located on a bridge over the estuary which opens up to the Gower. The start is also tricky as you have a busy mini roundabout and a rise up to the start, which then levels out slowly to where the segment starts. Traffic really doesn't help either as it ends at another busy mini roundabout.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
so i just over shoot straight out onto the other road to stop so as not to have to slow down on the segment

you see i got this segment all worked out! what sort of speed can you average on your mile straight? can you pretty much own the road all to your self like mine or do you have to share it with other traffic and cars etc?
Cheers Ed
So Ed, c'mon, you don't need educating why there are so many things wrong with whacking straight out into another road, Strava or not, it's still a road, that could be being used by a vehicle, that you could end up under... just think about it.

My drag strip seg, my best I smashed a 1:45 down there at 32.8mph average, and have had numerous runs under 2 minutes. I can remember when 2 minutes was my holy grail target, seems a long time ago now!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
exactly why i decided not to post it! i know that certain members such as @ianrauk and @rb58 are down this way occasionally and are rather fast

got one that i used to like which had a steep but short 'power climb' in it but i stopped doing that after i woke up to just dangerous it is to cross the road over a live lane on a blind corner at high speed (probably at least 20 or more mph) without thinking!
the offending corner and the line to take in red:
millroadclimbturning_zps65f3b0e4.jpg

bit hard to get KOM if you are a gal but a QOM is slightly more achievable!

TBH if i were to have a sex change i don't think i would act different to what i currently do :smile:
Cheers Ed

I hope you have stopped doing that corner at speed without stopping. I know it well too and all it would need is vehicle to come round the corner and you are fubar'd,

Top Bottom