Got the sack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sorry to hear this and I hope you get sorted quickly.
Don't worry about the attitude in the job centre - most of their staff are like that and wouldn't survive 5 minutes in the real world.

If it's any consolation, a couple of years ago Mrs ND was made redundant - she quickly found work again, for a better company where she enjoys going to work again.
It seemed like a kick in the teeth at the time, but it worked out better than we could have hoped in the end.

claudbutler

Halfords are taking on for people to work in the cycling side of their stores for the christmas rush give em a go you never know.Good Luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
Always best to leave the door slightly open. Is there anything in common with you leaving halfrauds and your last job.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Nowt like telling em to 'stuff it' is there but it ain't that good in the long run, hope you get sorted soon. :hello:
i still get a good reference from them but they wont employ me and i wouldnt want to work for them again.
I ended up having a friend help me remove all of my tools etc on my lunch break and left.

Always best to leave the door slightly open. Is there anything in common with you leaving halfrauds and your last job.
No nothing in common. I left because 1- i had a better paying job lined up anyway as things were getting slow 2- i wasnt happy with the way customers cars were being treated 3- the fact they were happy to just chemimetal and paint a broken spring on a taxi + use used brake pads on a ford mondeo. Had a disagreement with the assistant manager who then decided to go on one and tell me my overalls stunk of cat piss when it was a customers car (colleagues agreed with me) and i ended up having a friend help me remove my tools on my lunch break. Never went back. The assistant manager has since been fired for that but i cant go back to halfords because of my reaction. I do get a good reference from the actual manager though. yes looking back it wasnt the best of things to do but at the time, it was what was best for me.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Hiya,

Really sorry to hear this, it sounds dreadful.

I do a lot of promo work and also conferencing. It's very very easy and pays well and this time of year is chock full of work.

Look on stuck for staff, should have details of agencies in your area.

I do corporate work for Jupiter events and Moore People give them a tinkle xxx

Last edited:
OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

if you can survive on JSA for a time, you could take this opportunity to get extra training as part of your benefits, you could try for Reach truck or better still V&A narrow isle truck....
try and get a CSCS card which will get you on to building sites, a CSCS card is needed for anything that takes place on site builders, security, drivers ....
depending on what licenses you already have driving wise, it is possible to upgrade as high as HGV....
now a warning the jobcentre is not out to make life easy and you have to badger them for the simplest bit of training...
fill in every form, turn up on time, try to be as friendly with your advisor, it will make life a lot easier in the long run
anyway goodluck I know how you feel....
As much as id really like to get my reach licence i just dont want to stay on JSA, i could survive on it BUT it will kill me not working and i know it will drive me nuts. Only have a full bike licence and a counterbalance FLT licence. Getting my car licence is a big thing on my list to get ticked off in the near future. Well see what happens.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Good luck with the applications and job hunt, in the mean time if you have a bike licence and want to carry heavy gear...perhaps operate a mobile mechanics trade then these things (Piaggio Ape) can be rented...with a general storage as opposed to a coffee machine. Not even sure they need a licence, most are 50cc

could even carry water as a car cleaning business.

Its a neat gimmick, that would get you noticed and is easy to park near the motor that you are going to work on...even provides some cover in the rain

just a thought.
Piaggio%20Ape%2050%20Coversions%20and%20Retro%20Piaggio%20www.png

http://www.tukxi.com/hire.html
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/piaggio-ape-for-sale-uk.html
https://www.gumtree.com/all/uk/piaggio+ape

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

believe it or not but if you can prove a car is essential to getting a job I've heard "stories" of people getting a driving licence while on benefits, ...who knows..
a Reach licence is a week or 2 course it just depends when the next course is, you could be in luck and one start in the next few weeks which would mean no longer than a month on JSA, you just need to ask, if you don't ask they won't bother to mention it....
ps
they do give something like £500 off the purchance of a motorbike for those with a licence....
different offices have different criteria, but you never know.......
Reach licence would be a two day conversion for me, i had a little go when i passed my counterbalance licence and the instructor said 1 day training 1 day for test.... may ask about it. Already got a motorbike and all the gear etc, ZZR400 with a 600 engine and brakes.

Good luck with the applications and job hunt, in the mean time if you have a bike licence and want to carry heavy gear...perhaps operate a mobile mechanics trade then these things (Piaggio Ape) can be rented...with a general storage as opposed to a coffee machine. Not even sure they need a licence, most are 50cc

could even carry water as a car cleaning business.

Its a neat gimmick, that would get you noticed and is easy to park near the motor that you are going to work on...even provides some cover in the rain

just a thought.
Piaggio%20Ape%2050%20Coversions%20and%20Retro%20Piaggio%20www.png

http://www.tukxi.com/hire.html
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/cars-vans-for-sale/piaggio-ape-for-sale-uk.html
https://www.gumtree.com/all/uk/piaggio+ape
deffinately going to look more into that :laugh: had a go in one when i was 16 slow as hell but absolutely hilarious :laugh:

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

there is a catch to training while on benefits, to get the funding the training provider needs to give a little extra so some courses can give IT skills level something, customer service level something or whatever the government insist on...
Yeah i get how that works.

Had a call from a agency this morning, "come in and register tomorrow and we will have you a job by next Friday, if we don't well give you £25" OK then.

Daytime TV is brilliant. I never knew so many people slept with their brothers ex girlfriend or their cousin until i watched jeremy kyle this morning. Not watching that again :laugh:

subaqua

What’s the point
Yeah i get how that works.

Had a call from a agency this morning, "come in and register tomorrow and we will have you a job by next Friday, if we don't well give you £25" OK then.

Daytime TV is brilliant. I never knew so many people slept with their brothers ex girlfriend or their cousin until i watched jeremy kyle this morning. Not watching that again :laugh:

you never been to Norfolk or Willenhall then

Top Bottom