Got the Sirrus BUT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
The Jogger said:
I wish, under the scheme, the company I work for own the bike, until the end of the year, then you pay a nominal amount andd then it's yours, well mine!
I might try the halfords cycle2work helpline, they might change it But somehow I doubt it.
Halfords claim to be a reputable cycle supplier, so they should have made sure that you were ordering the correct size. My LBS would not take an order from me without checking that the bike would fit me. Similarly decent on-line suppliers usually ask you to provide a raft of measurements before they take your order.

So you should definitely try to change the bike. Provided you haven't damaged it you could argue that you have just gone on the equivalent of a test ride.

Obviously you should stop using it at and once, and try and clean it up as much as possible.

Mortiroloboy

:tongue:!Jeez, I hate Hellfrauds:angry: My girls, who are 12yrs and of average height are on bikes that size,FFS!! take it back, they shouldn't have even sold you a bike that size, scandalous, you should be on a 54cm at minimum and ideally the large frame. Bl**dy Hellfrauds:angry:

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
thanks for all the replies, was at work so haven't been on here. right, the 51is from the bottom of the tube to the seat tube. I picked the bike and halfords sourced it and brought it to the branch near me, idid say to the guy in the store, did he not think it was a bit small, he thought it wasn't , so maybe that could be my get out clause! I will call them in the morning. insured it today £24 on top ot the house insurance , which I thought was good.

Albert

Über Member
Halfords don't seem to be that keen on exchanging goods, unlike Curry's etc.
I had a Sirrus for a short while - I had the correct size measured up by my LBS (good firm BTW), but never found a good position on it, I always felt that it was too short. I just moved on.
The Trek 7 series are a good alternative to the Sirrus in my opinion.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Update: Rang the dedicated cycle2work team and was told as it is a special order we had to get in for you, you will not be able to change it and there is nothing they can do, otherwise they will be stuck with the bike. So I have emailed them and want a response in writing.
I asked them was that their extent of their customer service and was told there was nothing more they could do. Nice :biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
As far as I'm aware you don't give up you consumer rights just for buying through cycle2work. They advised you on the size and and they got it wrong. The fact they got it special order should make no difference. That's their problem.

Maz

Guru
Like kyuss said, if you were ill-advised by their staff then it 'aint your problem. I'd stop riding the bike, clean it up and hold on to the paperwork. A visit to the shop would be in order and explain the situation to them. If they dig their heels in, I reckon you've still got every right to a replacement/refund, what with consumer rights and all that.

I would keep it sweet, no ranting or threats. See what they say.

RedBike

right, the 51is from the bottom of the tube to the seat tube
I'm really going to confuse things now. Basically, I'm not sure that Specialized measure the Sirrus like that.

I would of assumed Specialized would quote what they call the virtual measurement.

You need to imagine that the cross bar instead of sloping (getting lower) as it goes to the seat tube actually runs horizontally level with the ground. The virtual measurement is taken from the bottom bracket (same as normal) to where this imaginery level cross bar joins the seat-tube. Normally about 5 /6cm further up!

This means that although the bike might actually measure 51cm, Specialized might list it as 57cm.

Chris James

Über Member
That was what I wondered. 51cm 'virtual' would be, say, 45 cm actual measurement.

Given that I am 5 ft 11.5 in and have a 57cm horizontal top tube frame with about 2 inches of nut room then that would mean that someone my size (and I am similar to the OP) would have about 6 inches of clearance over the top tube not the 4 inches quoted by the OP.

It's a bit baffling. Looking at the Specialzed website their large size (which seems to be rated as 57cm on Evans) shows actual measurements of the seat tube length as being 51.5cm!!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGeometryPopup.jsp?spid=32215

Maz

Guru
Chris James said:
It's a bit baffling. Looking at the Specialzed website their large size (which seems to be rated as 57cm on Evans) shows actual measurements of the seat tube length as being 51.5cm!!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGeometryPopup.jsp?spid=32215
I'll take a close look at the dimensions sticker on the seatpost of my 57cm Sirrus (I'm guessing the OP has a similar sticker on his?). It's got measurements on it for seatpost-to-bottom bracket/top tube/downtube lengths. I'll check my nut clearance whilst I'm at it! I'm about 5"11.

update...i checked the bike: diagram on the sticker assumes a horizontal toptube (though in reality it slants). The 'horizontal' length is 56.5cm, with a seatpost to bb length of 57cm.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Hi all, I'm just in from work and the bike is locked up in shed. I'll check the dimensions tomorrow but from what I can remember ont the diagram it has the vertical measurement to the seat 51cm now the link seems to read that as a large.
No reply from Halfords yet. They opened the email at 17:28

Maz

Guru
The Jogger said:
Hi all, I'm just in from work and the bike is locked up in shed. I'll check the dimensions tomorrow but from what I can remember ont the diagram it has the vertical measurement to the seat 51cm now the link seems to read that as a large.
No reply from Halfords yet. They opened the email at 17:28
I'm confused. Either I don't know how to read this table, or there's a typo in it.

My sticker has an "L" for Large on it. I can't see any measurements in the L column of that table that equals 57cm. Where I expect to see 57cm, I see 515mm (51.5cm) :thumbsup:

Top Bottom