Got the Sirrus BUT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
User1314 said:
So the measurements on Maz's chart may be "actual" measurements, thus accounting for the missing cms.
You could be right. For sure, the measurements quoted on the sticker are for imaginary horizontal toptube and seatposts (appearing as dashed lines).

I think I'll take an actual tape measure and actually measure the actual tubes on my bike, actually.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
on the diagram the height is 51cm used a tape, nuts about 5'' above horizontal tube , had the neighbours wondering :smile:

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
no L or M on the sticker, will double check tomorrow but I certainly think that would have jumped out at me!

Chris James

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
At 5'11" you definitely have the wrong size. Get it swapped pronto.

Not particularly helpful given that he doesn't appear to be 100% sure what size he actually has, and the supplier has said that they will not swap it.

Chris James

Über Member
Have you read the whole thread?

skwerl

51 seat tube is a 56cm frame. I'm 5'11 and I once had a 56 Sirrus-perfect fit for me. My current bike's a 55 so I'd say it's bang on for you (unless you're wildly disproportionate). if it was a 51 you'd have been whacking your knees off the handlebars

longers

Legendary Member
Just seen this thread, I'm 5'11 too and I'm confident my Sirrus is a large. I took the sticker off ages ago.

Maybe you need some positioning advice from the good people on here?

Maz

Guru
Doesn't really add much value, but here's the sticker -apologies for poor quality:
ru9tgj.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
I've re-read your OP and it seems clear to me that you ordered that particular size of bike on the advice of the Halford's salesman. He actually behaved negligently, and stupidly, by getting you to try a completely different bike, the Pinnacle, and then apparently taking a guess at what size Sirrus you need. He could have at least taken some basic measurements from you and consulted sizing guidance that Specialized presumably produce.

According to Adviceguide, the Citizens Advice website, you are entitled to reject goods if they are not "fit for purpose". You are entitled to try the goods first as you have done, but then must stop using them and inform the trader as soon as possible if you believe the goods are not "fit for purpose".

Because you need to promptly reject good that are not fit for purpose, I would suggest you now formally write to (not just email) Halfords explaining what has happened and saying you are exercising your right to reject the bike they have supplied you with as it is not fit for purpose (i.e. the right size).

In the meantime I think you need to take some proper advice about your legal position which I suspect is complicated by the fact you are buying through a cycle to work scheme. I believe it is actually your employer who legally owns the bike and you are just "leasing" it through the Cycle To Work scheme.

Your can get free advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or from Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Hi thanks for the pic of the label, I'll re-check mine in the morning.
Dannyg, thanks for the advice and link, sorry if I mislead a bit ( not meant) I actually went to Evans and tried a bike for size which was the Pinnacle, the shop guy there told me I would need a 20" so when I ordered my bike through Halfords I thought right, 20 and checked to see it was the 51cm conversion. When I went to pick it up, thats when I said to the Halfords guy, I think it might be a bit small, that's when he got me to stand over the horizontal bar and sit on the seat. He adjusted the seat so the balls of my feet touched the ground and then he said that it would be fine.

Danny

Legendary Member
Ah...well that makes things slightly more complicated, but does not fundamentally alter your position.

Halfords claims to be a reputable and knowledgeable bike dealer, and you should have been able to rely on their (supposed) expert knowledge to ensure that you went away with the right size bike.

The shop guy saw you on the bike, and adjusted it, and told you it would be fine, even though the balls of your feet were touching the floor. Anyone with even the most elementary knowledge of bike sizing should have known that this actually meant the bike was way too small.

The fact that Halfords had to put in a special order for the bike is simply not relevant. If anything the onus should have been on them to double check that they were ordering the right size for you before they placed the order.

So I think you should still think you a entitled to reject the bike on the grounds that Halfords have sold you something that is not fit for purpose.

However I wouldn't bother mentioning that you first got some sizing advice from Evans :biggrin:

Top Bottom