Got this today and the qualities pretty good...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

This is not totally relevant, but you will get the point.

Here are some guys testing out a genuine motorbike helmet and a Chinese copy. I would suggest the same applies to cycle helmets.

This is how safety products should be tested ^_^

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kHZHys3Q4e4

How much did you pay for your helmet?

I'm very cautious of non-kite marked sunglasses if going into the bright sun. Cheap lenses can block out visible light, but let in uv light, which can damage the eye. In places like Australia, where sunglasses are recommended to reduce cancer, cataracts and other problems, I'd want to be sure I was getting protection from UVA and UVB as well, and you can't tell that just by looking at a pair of glasses - unless there is a label stuck to the lens.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm very cautious of non-kite marked sunglasses if going into the bright sun. Cheap lenses can block out visible light, but let in uv light, which can damage the eye. In places like Australia, where sunglasses are recommended to reduce cancer, cataracts and other problems, I'd want to be sure I was getting protection from UVA and UVB as well, and you can't tell that just by looking at a pair of glasses - unless there is a label stuck to the lens.
I'd still be cautious of kite marked products if they're cheapo Chinese jobs. Unscrupulous manufacturers will put a kite mark on the product whether it's earned it or not.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How much did you pay for your helmet?

Thats not my helmet ^_^

My motorbike helmet cost about £400 and I would never buy a fake helmet.

It's always tempting to buy these things as they look like the real thing.
I could have bought a Ritchey WCS Carbon bar and Seat Post for £75 a few months back,from China.
Realistically,for the both of them,you are looking at £160/70.At the cheapest
Maybe they were the real deal,as a lot of things are manufactured in China,but I decided it was too good to be true.

@blackgoff , you have bought something that you are happy with , regardless of what anyone else thinks or spends on stuff , if your happy with it thats all that should matter to you ,
on the other hand members are trying to express that it doesnt meet certain standards , in my book they are trying to be helpful and not as you say in this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/why-is-everyone-soo-god-dam.191527/

mustang1

Legendary Member
Not sure I'd trust something non-branded to protect my head as much as something from a reputable company. There are R&D departments for a reason. Unless it's from the same factory that builds the real S-Works Evade, I don't think I'd consider buying one.

I agree with everything you say except the same factory bit. Just because its from the same factory doesn't imply safety.

Citius

It looks like an Evade - and may even be made to the same standard. Unless the two hats are tested in parallel, we'll never know. The absense of a safety sticker does not mean the helmet is not safe - it only means it doesn't have a safety sticker.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It looks like an Evade - and may even be made to the same standard. Unless the two hats are tested in parallel, we'll never know. The absense of a safety sticker does not mean the helmet is not safe - it only means it doesn't have a safety sticker.
It may well be the safest helmet ever created. Unfortunately the only way to check is to destroy it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
c'mon guys think about this. A cycle helmet is a bit of expanded polystyrene, a cheap generic material, coated by a layer of thin plastic not much different from what a strawbery punnet is made of. A sophisticated piece of cleverly engineered safety equipment it ain't.

Bear in mind a fair few extremely safety critical parts of your bike are likely made in the far east too - carbin forks, brakes, handlebars you name it. And these do rely on somewhat soohisticated engineering and materials science

Top Bottom