Got this today and the qualities pretty good...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Jesus. I think I have just wondered Into an episode of the twilight zone. To Capital or not to capital. :laugh:

Any how. As so often happens penny wise and pound foolish is the sayjng isn't it? If it seems too cheap and too cheap, there is a very good reason. Because it's a fake. we often think we are getting a bargain, until the item fails. We have all done it, well most of us anyway.

i just bought a bog standard giro helmet, not that i use it anyway.^_^. Is this thread still on topic by the way or has it gone orf on a tangent somewhere.:laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I bought a fake banana once, that was hard to swallow.

My favourite business saying is, nobody ever regrets buying quality.

Katherine

Guru
Interesting word, hoover.

Originally a trade name, it has now acquired its own meaning - a vacuum cleaner.

Another one is biro - originally a BIC trade name, it now means ballpoint pen.

Which leads me to a thorny problem - capitals or not?

My view is the word should be capped when it's used to describe a product of the company, but not when using its new meaning.

Words derived from names are called eponyms. There are a lot of eponymous terms in the medical world.

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

Found this sticker inside...

Attachments

• IMG-20151121-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20151121-WA0005.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 85

RichardB

Slightly retro
Which leads me to a thorny problem - capitals or not?

My view is the word should be capped when it's used to describe a product of the company, but not when using its new meaning.
Apple autocorrect loves to capitalise. I get fed up of writing tarmac, only to find it has been changed to Tarmac. Once something has been in the language for decades and no-one remembers the original derivation, it's surely time to treat it like a normal noun. And as for Internet ... since when has The Internet been deserving of Capital Letters? You might as well talk about the Radio or reading a Newspaper.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We have not heard it on this one yet, but often somebody pops up with only a muppet or idiot etc. would spend more than that etc. Now assuming that the person who would not spend it is cleverer than the idiot would it be correct to think they have more money to spend.^_^

At the risk of being (slightly) serious, if you don't pay too much for a dull item you can spend more where there's value in it. By spending £50 on a Seiko rather than £5k on a rolex, I can buy a Hilleberg (or two), a half-way decent bike and a luxury car (not new).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But if a Rolex is your desire and the other things are not is that muppetry.

but it isn't so it's not :-)

And anyway, the Rolex is objecively inferior to the Seiko (it's less good at keeping time) , whilst the Hilleberg is objecively superior to most other tents, so the question is then one of value

Profpointy

Legendary Member
each to their own, some save and dont spend, some spend and dont save, some cant afford to do either
i dont see why one or the other matters to anyone else but the person in question

For all that, I've rarely if ever regretted buying the expensive version, but I can think of a few things where it really would be a waste of money and even a worse product

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

My picture indicating the safety certificate. inside the helmet itself like many I've had over the years.

MOD EDITED

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom