Got this today and the qualities pretty good...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

Just had hold of said COPY helmet and it literally disintegrated in my hands... felt a bit peeved had to get hoover out...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This sort thing is getting a bigger problem than people know. For instance both on eBay and Amazon now a lot of Chinese sellers are putting stock in to the UK in pick and pack warehouses, they have UK PayPal accounts so the listing essentially looks like it is a UK seller. A lot of buyers are oblivious they are buying essentially from China. As an importer I am fully aware of the pitfalls of importing and have a large public liability insurance. These buyers are buying stuff and they are the importer as the seller is out of the EU they are responsible for the product if it goes tits up.

Not so long ago in the name of profit a Chinese brand of baby milk was being pumped up in weight with Melamine plastic, the same as some exported pet food ingredients. I have seen enough fake CE RoHS certificates to give electrical a wide berth as I do not have the means to ensure the QC. These are the reasons I actively avoid buying cycling products direct. You just don't know how much they care about the product compared to how much $ they want to make. With branded items they are standing behind it and you have somewhere to go if it goes wrong.

Mind you a good few of perpetrators of the baby milk thing were shot, so they don't mess around for extreme cases.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Child car seats are basically polystyrene around a plastic base, I would not even consider buying a fake one.
I certainly wouldn't risk anything like this when it comes to safety, especially your bonce.:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Would you buy counterfeit condoms, fire extinguishers or snakebite anti-venom? No, you flipping wouldn't, so why - leaving the great helmet debate aside - buy another counterfeit safety aid?

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

But was it a hoover, or a Dyson, Sebo, etc?

No a Chinese variant and that disintegrated b4 my eyes too...

Got the brush and scooper out...

Thankfully that was the deal from bnq where I got ripped off to the value of 50 quid but at least it won't fall apart!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But was it a hoover, or a Dyson, Sebo, etc?

Interesting word, hoover.

Originally a trade name, it has now acquired its own meaning - a vacuum cleaner.

Another one is biro - originally a BIC trade name, it now means ballpoint pen.

Which leads me to a thorny problem - capitals or not?

My view is the word should be capped when it's used to describe a product of the company, but not when using its new meaning.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Interesting word, hoover.

Originally a trade name, it has now acquired its own meaning - a vacuum cleaner.

Another one is biro - originally a BIC trade name, it now means ballpoint pen.

Which leads me to a thorny problem - capitals or not?

My view is the word should be capped when it's used to describe a product of the company, but not when using its new meaning.

A particulalry good one from France is that a dustbin is known as a Poubelle (spelling questionable) after the minister who introduced rubbish collection.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A particulalry good one from France is that a dustbin is known as a Poubelle (spelling questionable) after the minister who introduced rubbish collection.

On similar lines is the Belisha beacon, so called after the splendidly named Leslie Hore-Belisha, the Minister of Transport credited with its introduction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

screenman

Legendary Member
No a Chinese variant and that disintegrated b4 my eyes too...

Got the brush and scooper out...

Thankfully that was the deal from bnq where I got ripped off to the value of 50 quid but at least it won't fall apart!

Interesting point about being ripped off, I am interested in what people who want to spend as little as possible do with all the money they are saving.

screenman

Legendary Member
food for their children and other fripperies I expect

We have not heard it on this one yet, but often somebody pops up with only a muppet or idiot etc. would spend more than that etc. Now assuming that the person who would not spend it is cleverer than the idiot would it be correct to think they have more money to spend.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom