"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
On a wider point, can anybody think of any other gendered (or age-related) part of a bicycle? I'm struggling to think of any.

English, compared to many languages, is remarkably ungendered. There are the odd exceptions, of course; some people will refer to things like ships and cars as ''she,'' and it's standard to refer to some connecting parts as male or female by simple analogy. The language simply has no need to attribute gender to ungendered things. So I'm struggling to understand why some people seem to be reacting along the lines of ''First they came for my golliwog, then they came for my mother-in-law, now they're after my granny!'' when it wouldn't be any great loss to pick use another ungendered term.

Julia9054

Guru
I'm sure one can suggest suitable gearing for someone based on their fitness, strength, and weight, without knowing either their age or gender, or even the colour of their hair.
Or perhaps we could name all the gears after those who might use them
Granny gear
Fit young bloke gear
Bloke who knows he should lose a stone gear
Young woman who's been a bit too busy for cycling recently gear
Bloke with bad knees gear
Etc

bpsmith

Veteran
Or perhaps we could name all the gears after those who might use them
Granny gear
Fit young bloke gear
Bloke who knows he should lose a stone gear
Young woman who's been a bit too busy for cycling recently gear
Bloke with bad knees gear
Etc

No. Are you suggesting that whether or not a cyclist has grandchildren is relevant to their choice of gearing?

My point was that gender/age is a factor in gearing, much like frame size, for example.

I am not trying to argue that there’s a gender/age based name required. That’s never been my point. Perhaps I misled into that train of thinking.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
My point was that gender/age is a factor in gearing, much like frame size, for example.

I am not trying to argue that there’s a gender/age based name required. That’s never been my point. Perhaps I misled into that train of thinking.
Honest question, Is it really a factor in gearing? I’m sure there are woman that use the full range of gears so that would make gender irrelevant. Surely you would base the decision on their fitness and size. And the usage too I guess

vickster

Legendary Member
How so? Frame size is broadly based on an individual's physical stature. Gearing is surely down to the individual, their requirements/preference/location/physical fitness, whatever their age or gender.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
On a wider point, can anybody think of any other gendered (or age-related) part of a bicycle? I'm struggling to think of any..

You're missing the most obvious one - the frame. Men don't tend to wear skirts, so they usually ride frames with crossbars. Women often DO wear skirts, and having a frame with a dropped cross bar enables a lady so dressed to ride a bike without providing a show for all the men that may be watching. Whilst there is nothing physically stopping either a man or woman from riding either type of frame assuming it fits them, there is a very good reason why each frame design is described as either Ladies or Gents. I see the PC brigade lately like to use the term "unisex" to describe Ladies frames, but strangely they don't do this with "Gents" ones.... So is it OK for both a man and a woman to ride a Ladies frame, but not OK for a woman to ride a Gents? You do have to wonder at some of the thought processes that go on in some people's heads.

Sandra6

Veteran
Oh for the love of Mike. It's just an expression. It's only offensive if you choose to be offended. You cannot give offense, only take it afterall.
I use the term. I also say I rode in "my big boy gears" when I've been fairly flying -usually with a tailwind.
I say I have to put my big boy pants on. And I refer to my behaviour at times as "being a girl about it"
At work I play the "girl card" when I don't want to do something that I'm perfectly capable of but can just as easily get a bloke to do for me.
I tell the kids to "grow up" without for one minute implying that grown ups are in some way better than children.
And I have a t-shirt with the slogan "yes I ride like a girl - try to keep up"
Get over it.

classic33

Leg End Member
On a wider point, can anybody think of any other gendered (or age-related) part of a bicycle? I'm struggling to think of any.

English, compared to many languages, is remarkably ungendered. There are the odd exceptions, of course; some people will refer to things like ships and cars as ''she,'' and it's standard to refer to some connecting parts as male or female by simple analogy. The language simply has no need to attribute gender to ungendered things. So I'm struggling to understand why some people seem to be reacting along the lines of ''First they came for my golliwog, then they came for my mother-in-law, now they're after my granny!'' when it wouldn't be any great loss to pick use another ungendered term.
What about male and & female threads?

Like the granny gear, they came from elsewhere.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You're missing the most obvious one - the frame. Men don't tend to wear skirts, so they usually ride frames with crossbars. Women often DO wear skirts, and having a frame with a dropped cross bar enables a lady so dressed to ride a bike without providing a show for all the men that may be watching. Whilst there is nothing physically stopping either a man or woman from riding either type of frame assuming it fits them, there is a very good reason why each frame design is described as either Ladies or Gents. I see the PC brigade lately like to use the term "unisex" to describe Ladies frames, but strangely they don't do this with "Gents" ones.... So is it OK for both a man and a woman to ride a Ladies frame, but not OK for a woman to ride a Gents? You do have to wonder at some of the thought processes that go on in some people's heads.
You're right, of course. I should have argued for examples of arbitrarily gendered bike bits. A ''woman's'' frame will tend to be made with a shorter distance between saddle to stem because most women, when compared to men, have proportionally longer legs and shorter torsos. They're tailored to match differences of anatomy (or should be).

Certainly, ladies' frames are made to enable an easier - some would say, more modest - step through for getting on and off. Something useful, incidentally, for a pannier-laden touring or shopping bike. Possibly also convenient for people wearing kilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom