"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's a spectrum of acceptability regarding words that may be considered by some to be sexist or demeaning.

Some are rightly recognised as unacceptable. To my mind, "granny ring" does not fall in this category and I suspect the large majority would agree that it is innocuous

Those seeking use this thread to promote their own agenda of shifting society's spectrum of acceptability need to consider how ridiculous to most this appears. There are much, much less innocuous words in common use. Try those first

Tin Pot

Guru
On a wider point, can anybody think of any other gendered (or age-related) part of a bicycle? I'm struggling to think of any.

Shaft.
Ball (bearing).
Sprocket.
Office bike.
Bolt.
Cockpit.
Rubber.
Chopper.
Equipment.
Helmet.
Gear.
Tool.
Old Man’s Tadger*.

With a rumoured 2,600 slang terms for genitals I’m pretty sure the whole bike is made up of private parts if you look hard enough.

*Not a bike part as far as I’m aware, just a term that’s always made me giggle. Best said with a West Country accent for some reason.

freiston

Veteran
Nobody has any issue with that whatsoever.

The world didn’t have trouble surviving when they referred to as being a ladies bike either. That’s the point made by many in this thread.

To summarise what I see as the general feel of this thread. We’re all happy with gender non-specific descriptions. We’re also happy knowing that this was a no brainer from the start.

It’s pointless comments like “I am not aware that the world has come to an end”, like it was a major issue before, that gets people complaining. ;)
The world might have survived but plenty of boys were bullied for riding a "ladies bike" (I certainly witnessed it as a kid) and I dare say that for some, it felt like their world was coming to an end.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's a spectrum of acceptability regarding words that may be considered by some to be sexist or demeaning.

Some are rightly recognised as unacceptable. To my mind, "granny ring" does not fall in this category and I suspect the large majority would agree that it is innocuous

Those seeking use this thread to promote their own agenda of shifting society's spectrum of acceptability need to consider how ridiculous to most this appears. There are much, much less innocuous words in common use. Try those first
And there are others who will wonder at the depth of emotional investment involved for those intending to keep the term.

Sandra6

Veteran
I broadly agree with this statement, but in this case we are asked to consider a word's usage.
So, after reflection, I came

This, @Sandra6 is a very interesting topic that merits a thread on his own.
If you don't mind, I'd like to expand it further, but not now as I'm getting ready for work. Hope all is good with you and family :hello:
I think that would make for a lively debate !
We're all good, hope you're well too.

bpsmith

Veteran
The world might have survived but plenty of boys were bullied for riding a "ladies bike" (I certainly witnessed it as a kid) and I dare say that for some, it felt like their world was coming to an end.
Those weren’t my words btw, just quoted those from above.

With respect to the bullying, that’s awful without question. Are we suggesting that calling it a step through would have avoided said bullying, or would it have still happened but using something else as an excuse? In my experience, there are some ridiculous reasons used to bully people.

If getting rid of terms like Granny Gear or Ladies Bike would eradicate all bullying, then there would be nobody in this thread who would be against that. Sadly, I honestly don’t believe that it would.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You're missing the most obvious one - the frame. Men don't tend to wear skirts, so they usually ride frames with crossbars. Women often DO wear skirts, and having a frame with a dropped cross bar enables a lady so dressed to ride a bike without providing a show for all the men that may be watching. Whilst there is nothing physically stopping either a man or woman from riding either type of frame assuming it fits them, there is a very good reason why each frame design is described as either Ladies or Gents. I see the PC brigade lately like to use the term "unisex" to describe Ladies frames, but strangely they don't do this with "Gents" ones.... So is it OK for both a man and a woman to ride a Ladies frame, but not OK for a woman to ride a Gents? You do have to wonder at some of the thought processes that go on in some people's heads.
The alternative to "step through" or "U" frames is not Gents but "step over" or "diamond". Examples include https://www.vbt.com/discover-vbt/biking-tours/comfort-road/ and http://www.commuterbikestore.com/city-bikes.html

And it's not about being PC - it's about not being the sort of knuckle-dragging throwback who genders cycle types completely unnecessarily. Who exactly does that help anyway? You really do have to wonder what thought processes are going on in some people's heads! I guess it's something to do with validating their own fragile gender identity through their choice of cycle shape.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5242905, member: 45"]If only we were able to discuss the subtleties of the influence of language that you allude to here, without people exaggerating what's actually being said.[/QUOTE]
So do you think the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis is true or false?

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5242905, member: 45"]If only we were able to discuss the subtleties of the influence of language that you allude to here, without people exaggerating what's actually being said.[/QUOTE]
Did I exaggerate anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom