Gravel bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's it, I've got two weeks to turn round my old Diamond Back. Nothing new will be going on other than new cables. You've got me motivated. Choice between a cherry blue or going more purposeful gunmetal metalic - also easier to obtain and touch up if needed. Oh and I'll need a tap to enlarge the threads on the pannier mount - one side has stripped.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit of an update on this build - I've rebuilt the wheels now with 700c carbon rims and a SON dynamo front hub. Also fitted a Busch + Muller IQ-X front light and small rear light, plus a rack and panniers. Currently investigating mudguards as she'll be my new commuter hack - I've got a new job starting middle of April and it's only 5 miles from my new home so cycle commuting is back on the cards :becool: I think she looks rather fab as a work horse :smile:

20240202_133602.jpg

20240202_133613.jpg

20240202_133656.jpg

Before the rack was fitted I'd taken her bike packing round the Cantii Way in Kent and she was a joy to ride, super comfy over a multi day adventure even fully loaded so I've got no concerns.

Here she is on the Kent coast soaking up some sun whilst fully loaded last year :smile:

20230610_125920.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I went for SKS Chromoplastics again - I've used these succesfully on other builds so went with what I know :okay: They arrived this morning so I've fitted them this afternoon. Very pleased with the result, they went on easily with plenty of clearance with no major fettling required :smile:

20240320_155335.jpg

I'm just waiting on another rear light then I'm calling her finished - I've got a Busch + Muller U on the way to fit to the rear guard in place of the reflector and to work alongside the Bush + Muller Toplight Line Small already fitted to the rack. Should be plenty of juice from the dynamo to power both, I'll just wire them in parallel.

B+M_U.jpg

20240320_155532.jpg

Then I'll just need a dark and rainy night to test it out :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The rear light arrived over the weekend and I've got it fitted and wired up, all working nicely.

20240325_095724.jpg

I've also used a couple of black aluminium fuel line P-Clips to attach the pump bracket to the rack to hide it out of the way, pleased with how it's worked out.

20240325_100249.jpg

I'm just waiting on the Raw mudguard flaps now :smile:

20240325_100235.jpg

20240325_100432.jpg

Top Bottom