Gravel bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
New tyres arrived today so I've popped them on. I've also fitted the new rear brake hose (at the lever end at least) and tidied up the cables. I'm missing one piston for the front brake rebuild as Wiggle let me down - they were showing in stock but they're only a few quid each and they have a £20 limit for next day delivery with their Wiggle+ subscription, so I chucked some other stuff in my basket to make it up and hit buy... The other stuff arrived but no pistons, they're now showing as on backorder :angry: Very naughty of them so I've contacted them to vent... Anyway, I have a spare RX4 post mount caliper in the garage so I'll borrow a piston later and get it finished :laugh:

Until then, here's what it looks like now...

20221205_160055.jpg

20221205_155950.jpg

Don't look at the driveside chainstay - I dropped the seatpost on it and took a bit chunk out of the paint :whistle: I'm now going to look at chainstay protectors to cover it up, after all that effort filling and sanding :laugh: Next time I'll bake the frame before I build it up to help the laquer harden quicker, I did this on my Brompton build and it made a big difference. Nevermind...

I'll wrap the bars with the Jo Burt bar tape once the brakes are bled and will have a Mint Sauce stem cap to fit soon 😊

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I robbed a piston out of the spare caliper this evening and popped it in the purple one, then got it bolted on and piped up.

20221207_204547.jpg

I'm now only missing two bits - the new mech hanger, and the Mint Sauce stem cap 😄 The chainstay protector arrived this morning so I've stuck that on, seems nice and thick so should do the job nicely... Most importantly it covers the chip in the paint :laugh:

20221207_225324.jpg

I couldn't resist wrapping the bars, I think it looks ace...

20221207_204646.jpg

20221207_230051.jpg

I've got the day off tomorrow so I aim to make the finishing touches; bleed and adjust the brakes, straighten the hanger or fit the new one (if it arrives), tweak the gears, tighten the disc rotors and do a final torque check on all the bolts. Then all that remains is a test ride and some finished photos :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Awesome job.
I once got one of scrotom lights from a secret santa. Surprising good for commuting as it moves around.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Awesome job.
I once got one of scrotom lights from a secret santa. Surprising good for commuting as it moves around.

This was a 40th birthday present from some good friends so thought I'd put it to use :okay::becool:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They're 650's mate. I used the 650b wheels I'd already built to save some cash. I might buy some 700c rims in future and rebuild the wheels but will see how I go with these for now :okay:

But what tyres are they??? I can see they are halos but which ones and size

Top Bottom