Gravel bike project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Like the inside of the stays and forks. Not so sure of the headtube but I suspect it will improve with wheels and handlebars etc. Amazing progress as ever. Well done.:okay:

what precautions are needed when spraying with 'rattle can' paint. Face mask and door/window open or do you move the bike outside?

I'm not so sure on the head tube either, but will reserve judgement until my mint sauce decal is in place :smile:

I use a portable workstand and ideally spray outside under floodlight. If that's not possible I open the big garage door and spray outwards. It's nasty stuff so worth taking precautions. To be honest the 1k stuff (everything except the lacquer) isn't too bad and you can get away with a bit of exposure but the 2k lacquer isn't something you want to be breathing in too often...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Another cracking project build john......will this one get finished though lol

Shed, hallway, toilet, drive, van, living room, kitchen, mtb.........im awaiting updates on them all, had to take prozac to calm me down and await updates lol

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Another cracking project build john......will this one get finished though lol

Shed, hallway, toilet, drive, van, living room, kitchen, mtb.........im awaiting updates on them all, had to take prozac to calm me down and await updates lol

My bicycle projects always get finished, its those pesky other ones that are the problem :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've gone with some Ritchey flared drop bars and an 80mm Deda stem for now - both were relatively cheap so if they need swapping out later its not a major expense. The dropper post is fitted and working, although it'll need to come out again when the seat clamp arrives as the original was damaged, looks like it had been overtightened in the past. Things are starting to come together 😊

20221125_120428.jpg

I might have a play with the wheels later - try and get the XD driver and new cassette fitted, then install the axle adaptors and test fit them. I'm waiting on various bits and bobs that have been sent via Royal Mail, their strike this week has delayed a bunch of my parcels :sad: I guess if it didnt cause disruption there'd be no point in striking, but it is a pain :laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've gone with some Ritchey flared drop bars and an 80mm Deda stem for now - both were relatively cheap so if they need swapping out later its not a major expense. The dropper post is fitted and working, although it'll need to come out again when the seat clamp arrives as the original was damaged, looks like it had been overtightened in the past. Things are starting to come together 😊

View attachment 669083

I might have a play with the wheels later - try and get the XD driver and new cassette fitted, then install the axle adaptors and test fit them. I'm waiting on various bits and bobs that have been sent via Royal Mail, their strike this week has delayed a bunch of my parcels :sad: I guess if it didnt cause disruption there'd be no point in striking, but it is a pain :laugh:

Good job and enjoy the 6 pack :cheers:

Things are starting to come together

Looks great :okay:
Are the Boardman decals delayed in the post too? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks good - you'll have to let us know how hard the paint sets. Took a while for my Ribble to harden fully, but I wasn't using 2k ! It did have alot of coats as I was using perlescent white, so the base coat of white had to be perfect as the top coat was virtually see through, and that's before the lacquer went on. It's coming upto two years now and the bike is still looking good, but it doesn't get a hard life.

I fancy respraying my commuter MTB in possibly a candy blue, but it will need to be tough.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I chose the 2k for exactly that reason, I wanted the durability. It's still a little soft but takes a week or two to fully cure at room temperature I think. I have another can of it in case I need to flat it back and put some more on but I'm hoping I don't need to :laugh:

I've got the wheels on now minus disc rotors - I found some used purple Hope RX4 calipers and rotors on eBay so am waiting for them to arrive 😄 I did manage to find the spare XD driver off a Hope Pro4 MTB hub - fortunately the only difference between the Pro4 and RS4 freehubs is the number of pawls so it'll just be a bit noisier now :laugh:

20221125_214411.jpg

20221125_221752.jpg

I've just ordered a bottom bracket and SRAM Rival1 12speed 40t chainset - combined with the 10-50t cassette this should give a nice wide range of usable ratio's :okay: I've had to order a new gear hanger as the original is slightly bent and looks like it's been previously straightened. For the sake of 15 quid I'd rather not risk putting the mech in to the spokes :laugh:

I'm going to need to order new brake hoses front and rear which is going to add some cost, it always surprises me how much you can pay for the odds and sods like that... Sram original hoses are about £40 each :ohmy: Suffice to say I will be buying non OEM hoses :laugh:

I chose the 2k for exactly that reason, I wanted the durability. It's still a little soft but takes a week or two to fully cure at room temperature I think. I have another can of it in case I need to flat it back and put some more on but I'm hoping I don't need to :laugh:

I've got the wheels on now minus disc rotors - I found some used purple Hope RX4 calipers and rotors on eBay so am waiting for them to arrive 😄 I did manage to find the spare XD driver off a Hope Pro4 MTB hub - fortunately the only difference between the Pro4 and RS4 freehubs is the number of pawls so it'll just be a bit noisier now :laugh:

View attachment 669146

View attachment 669145

I've just ordered a bottom bracket and SRAM Rival1 12speed 40t chainset - combined with the 10-50t cassette this should give a nice wide range of usable ratio's :okay: I've had to order a new gear hanger as the original is slightly bent and looks like it's been previously straightened. For the sake of 15 quid I'd rather not risk putting the mech in to the spokes :laugh:

I'm going to need to order new brake hoses front and rear which is going to add some cost, it always surprises me how much you can pay for the odds and sods like that... Sram original hoses are about £40 each :ohmy: Suffice to say I will be buying non OEM hoses :laugh:

It's gonna be a mean looking graveler!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I really should take those cards down, my birthday was two weeks ago :laugh:

I had a couple of bits arrive today - firstly the replacement seat clamp. Obviously I went for a purple Hope one, but you guys will have guessed that already :okay::laugh:

20221126_222548.jpg

Also to arrive was a Prime out-front computer mount...

20221126_222538.jpg

As usual I've done some quick CAD work and modified one of my mount designs to fit so these bits are currently printing in the garage:

2022-11-26_20h56_48.jpg

That will allow me to run the Karoo 2 and my Ion 200 front light as I do on a couple of other bikes already.

I've also just ordered some bar tape - since I'll be putting a Mint Sauce sheep head decal on the head tube it made sense to go with the Jo Burt inspired Kinesis special edition bar tape 😄

maxresdefault.jpg

I also spotted some chunkier used tyres on eBay so got them ordered... Should be a nice parcel haul incoming next week :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Someone somewhere must have heard me moaning about parcels as I had a delivery this afternoon from Chain Reaction, a lovely purple bottom bracket :laugh:

20221127_131847.jpg

My printed parts finished overnight so I cleaned them up and cured them this morning. They fit nicely so thats another job ticked off :okay:

20221127_120855.jpg

20221127_121051.jpg

I glimpsed a break in the rain so decided to take her ouside for the first time and take some photos - I really like the way this build is shaping up :becool:

20221127_132421.jpg

20221127_132426.jpg

20221127_132441.jpg

Top Bottom