Gravel biked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SparkyP1983

Hi,

I’m brand new to cycling (well not rode in 20+ years), I’m after a gravel bike but undecided by 2. Merida Silex 600 or a Cannondale Topstone3.

what’s everyone’s thoughts?

Hi,

I’m brand new to cycling (well not rode in 20+ years), I’m after a gravel bike but undecided by 2. Merida Silex 600 or a Cannondale Topstone3.

Hi. Usually a big Cannondale fan (my M500 MTB is 26 yrs old now ^_^), but test rode the Topstone and didn't like it. Too heavy for a start so didn't fancy it on road so I went Spesh Diverge. Can't help with Silex but have a look at Canyon Grail as well. BTW, absolutely love the gravel bike, with 32c slick tyres on it goes well on road and tracks :okay:

ade towell

Merida looks ugly imho (may not be important to you), and Topstone - £1300 for Sora with mechanical disc brakes (the Promax Cannondale use are horrible from my experience), for less than that Boardman ADV8.9 with GRX hydraulic for £1100 is hard to beat, Sonder Camino also worth a look another UK company. No idea how easy it is to get any of these bikes in stock at the moment though...
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2332-adv-8.9-2021.html
https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-camino

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
If the blue Merida, it’s gorgeous ;) and has Sram rather than Shimano (quite fancy one myself)
However, you need to go try them out (assuming you can actually get them in your size)

Sonder Camino not available until January (can order in August though :laugh:) and the Boardman just looks a bit dull to me!

Milzy

Guru
Hi,

Merida Silex 600 has better spec than a Topstone 3. Just get a Topstone 1.
My Arkose D3 has an Ultegra rear mech with a mountain bike lock off. It’s brilliant but if I was buying a gravel bike now I’d go for GRX to be gravel specific & bang on the marketing trend. I’ve always thought of SRAM light for road bikes but less robust so I’d certainly not go SRAM on gravel.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You really need to see and try them but if that's not possible read some reviews.
The Merida has quite an upright riding position so comfortable rather than sporty. It's a 1x drive so you won't have the spread of gears on a double or triple and you'll have bigger gaps. Frame welding and finish look rough. Internal cable routing looks good but can become problematic after time with cables making contact with the frame.

The Topstone 3 is a bit more sporty despite the relaxed geometry and the double chainset should make it easier to fine tune the gears. 105 drive is fine but the cheap FSA chainset is a disappointment due it's reputation for failure. I think the BB is pressfit , again not the best for reliability, I would recommend avoiding anything so fitted, threaded is a better bet.
Sorry to rain on your parade but there are many aspects to consider so maybe do a bit more research.
That Boardman linked above looks good VfM so maybe worth a look. Might be a better choice if you're going to be spending more time on tarmac.

Be aware a gravel bike won't be so nimble or quick as a road bike on tarmac.

Always a good idea to post a link to the specific bike to save us from scrambling around googling and to pinpoint the exact model and specs which can change :okay:

Whatever you go for I'd buy locally rather than on the interweb, if anything goes wrong or needs adjusting you've got help at hand.

:welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
If you are not tall buy mine. only been out a few times. Polished up after that ride. It’s like brand new. :bicycle:

Attachments

• CC4C9137-4564-47AD-AF68-66D45CF61B9D.jpeg
    CC4C9137-4564-47AD-AF68-66D45CF61B9D.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 48
If you are not tall buy mine. only been out a few times. Polished up after that ride. It’s like brand new. :bicycle:
Thats how they are supposed to look ^_^

DRM

Guru
Be aware a gravel bike won't be so nimble or quick as a road bike on tarmac.
My Marin Gestalt 2 flys along, either with it’s new Fulcrum Disc/ Continental GP5000 combo, or it’s original wheels with Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres, it corners just as good as my road bikes and is very stable,
OP I would seriously consider the Boardman suggested above, once you’ve got used to the bike consider getting some reasonably priced wheels and road tyres for the best of both worlds, wheels and tyres for mucky rides, and road ones for tarmac, these bikes are truly all rounders

Kajjal

Guru
For gravel bikes, consider gearing and tyre clearance. Road gearing is generally too high for off road use in general. Also worth going for hydraulic brakes if in budget as they work very well off road as well as on.

D

Deleted member 1258

If the blue Merida, it’s gorgeous ;) and has Sram rather than Shimano (quite fancy one myself)
However, you need to go try them out (assuming you can actually get them in your size)

Sonder Camino not available until January (can order in August though :laugh:) and the Boardman just looks a bit dull to me!

The Sonder Camino has a flat bar version which I like the look of, its a shame about the lack of availability.

DRM

Guru
For gravel bikes, consider gearing and tyre clearance. Road gearing is generally too high for off road use in general. Also worth going for hydraulic brakes if in budget as they work very well off road as well as on.
The Boardman ADV8.9, that Ade Towell linked to above ticks all those boxes, hydraulic brakes, 10 speed GRX, with 48-32 chainset, and 11-36 cassette with a clutch rear mech, £1100 it's not a bad bike at all

My Marin Gestalt 2 flys along, either with it’s new Fulcrum Disc/ Continental GP5000 combo, or it’s original wheels with Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres, it corners just as good as my road bikes and is very stable,
OP I would seriously consider the Boardman suggested above, once you’ve got used to the bike consider getting some reasonably priced wheels and road tyres for the best of both worlds, wheels and tyres for mucky rides, and road ones for tarmac, these bikes are truly all rounders
I would echo that. Putting road bike Eastons/5000's on it later for some road work, just need to remember to stay off those enticing tracks ^_^

100% agree.

With my gravel bike (48-32 at the front) I can do routes that would be hell or borderline impossible with my road bike (52-36 at the front).

Top Bottom