Gravel geometry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exiged

Regular
I've been riding a pinarello prince disk road bike for the last year, and while its a very capable bike, i'm starting to regret it due to the state of the roads around where i live, and the fact i'm finding it a bone cruncher on anything over 20km rides. I had a bike fit just after purchasing.

I'm thinking of changing over to a gravel bike to do mainly road riding still, but with an amount of light trail riding also. Having compared the geometry of my current bike to something like the specialized diverge carbon or canyon grizl CF SL 8, does a few MM in reach, stack and fork angle translate to a comfier and more forgiving ride?

I think the suspension fork or stem/seat post of some of these gravel bikes could help also.

Many thanks.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I have a Roubaix and a Diverge. The Roubaix has future shock suspension on the handlebars, but the Diverge has 38mm nobblies on. There's no way I would take the Roubaix on a gravel route. The geometries are a little different but what makes a huge difference in comfort is the larger tyres (at 35 psi, tubeless). I run the Roubaix on 28mm at 65,70 psi tubeless.

Unquestionably the Roubaix is nicer (faster) on the roads (even if I put slicks on the Diverge). Diverge is nicer on gravel/bridleways etc. I'd like a Diverge with future shock, but they're a bit spendy. Don't know if any of this rambling helps, but if you can afford a nice Diverge with future-shock, I think you'll like it. ^_^

As has been said it's mainly about the tyres. Get any bike that's got good clearances.

I'm riding my gravel bike on 32mm slicks at 50/60 psi.

It can take knobblies up to 40mm if I want to go off road.

What tyres do you have and what psi ?

I'd try the fattest ones you can fit first.

Done the exact thing in spring and splashed out on a Diverge Pro (with FutureShock) because the roads I like to ride have become to bad.
I've also had a CX bike for a good few years and it surprised me how good the gravel bike is both on and off road!

So my experience after a good few thousand miles:
On road:
- About 1mph slower on average than my Pinarello road bike (steady 18mph on a flat 2h loop is no problem)
- You can completely ignore ruts and cracks and you realise after a while that you don't have to just look at the road all the time and you can actually enjoy the country side!
- 43mm tyres, pumped up to the max because future shock is that good
- No more arm and neck pain due to more relaxed position
Off road:
- About 2mph faster than the CX bike (wider tyres and future shock swallow the bumps much better)
- Much more comfortable due to more relaxed position

You can also do completely new routes, combining on and off road which is great to avoid busy roads or even use crappy NCN shared paths covered in crap that you'd have avoided on a road bike - it all makes for a much more relaxed experience!

The Pinarello had a service with new chain+cassette etc over Xmas and I haven't used it once yet - which pretty much says it all I think!

Gravel all the way :becool:
1657185307129.png

I think from the review I read your bike will take 28mm tyres. If you're narrower than this already - try those.

OP
OP
E

exiged

Regular
Cheers for the replies, some good info regarding the tyres and bike suggestions. My current bike is riding on 25mm tyres at around 80psi.

I'm actually leaning towards an endurance bike now as it will be mainly road use. I've got my eye on the canyon endurace CF 8 which has 30/32mm tyres and a slightly more relaxed geo than the pina. I may also add a redshift shockstop stem.

Cheers for the replies, some good info regarding the tyres and bike suggestions. My current bike is riding on 25mm tyres at around 80psi.

I'm actually leaning towards an endurance bike now as it will be mainly road use. I've got my eye on the canyon endurace CF 8 which has 30/32mm tyres and a slightly more relaxed geo than the pina. I may also add a redshift shockstop stem.

I'd not focus too much on the frame angles - get a bike that allows fat tyres.

Top Bottom