Great Live Recordings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
Stupidity - Doctor Feelgood

Once saw Dr Feelgood at Cheltenham town hall, a mates band was supporting them so we went along. Not normally my cup of tea but they were excellent and I'm glad I saw them.

The Concerto for Group and Orchestra is a concerto performed by Deep Purple and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Arnold in 1969, composed by Jon Lord.

1969 performance (& recording)
Live concert in the Royal Albert Hall (London), performed by:

Deep Purple:
Jon Lord - organ, keyboards
Ritchie Blackmore - guitar
Ian Gillan - vocals
Roger Glover - bass
Ian Paice - drums
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Arnold

And I still have the original vinyl version as well as much later DVD version.

U

User482

Can't believe that no-one's mentioned Miles Davis - live at Carnegie Hall.

MajorMantra

Rolling Stones - Stripped

You wouldn't think they'd still be good 30-something years after they got together but I really like this album. They sound different but still fantastic.

Matthew

User482 said:
Can't believe that no-one's mentioned Miles Davis - live at Carnegie Hall.

was that before or after Dave brubeck Quartet at the Newport Jazz Festival 1958 ? I was loaned a copy and ripped it to CD as well as DB at the College of the Pacific in 1953.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Once saw Dr Feelgood at Cheltenham town hall, a mates band was supporting them so we went along. Not normally my cup of tea but they were excellent and I'm glad I saw them.

I remember that gig. Boy, that support band were hot!

Rgds,
Derek

nickb

Guru
Chromatic said:
Stupidity - Doctor Feelgood

I may have been at that gig. The first time I saw them was at Cheltenham, but they were the support act that night (can't remember to whom, although it may have been Alex Harvey). I did see them there some time later as the headline band - who was the support act?

U

User482

John Ponting said:
was that before or after Dave brubeck Quartet at the Newport Jazz Festival 1958 ? I was loaned a copy and ripped it to CD as well as DB at the College of the Pacific in 1953.

It was 1961. After Coltrane had left the band, and with Gil Evans doing the orchestra arrangement.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
nickb said:
I may have been at that gig. The first time I saw them was at Cheltenham, but they were the support act that night (can't remember to whom, although it may have been Alex Harvey). I did see them there some time later as the headline band - who was the support act?
Either The Dockery Boys or Maxwell Street, I can't remember which. Ask delb0y, for he is that mate.

Mr Pig

My all-time favourite live recordings are those released each year by American radio station KFOG. The put out a compilation of sessions by artists to varied and numerous to list called 'live from the archives'. The quality is always superb. Annoyingly hard to get hold of but worth it.

Watched The Last Waltz on TV years ago, fantastic. The album never strays far from the Hi-Fi.

delb0y

Legendary Member
There have been some good calls here - pleased that Tom Waits and Johnny Winter got mentions. A couple that haven't yet:

Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East
Little Feat Waiting For Columbus
BB King Live At The Regal

But especially Little Feat!

Derek

Top Bottom