Great Live Recordings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Karl Böhm conducting Tristan and Isolde at Bayreuth in 1966

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Dave5N said:
Anyway, I was listening to 'Rock and Roll Animal', and wondered what else might be on the discerning listener's list.
Good choice. The guitar solo at the end of Heroin (starting at 9'55" after "....dead bodies piled up in mounds, yeah...." is one of the most energising and uplifting pieces of live music ever recorded. Coming after the long, gloomy and forlorn lead-up to it, the way guitarist Dick Wagner kicked in with such an exhilarating aural assault is fantastic to listen to. This Lou Reed album should be on the compulsory list for all discerning musos.

Foghat

Rhythm Thief said:
AC/DC - If You Want Blood.
Television - The Blow Up (full of mistakes and off key singing but a really atmospheric and energetic album).
Spot on, RT.

The AC/DC album is just chock-full of the most primeval, instinctive hard-rocking riffs ever invented. The sort of thing that a chap automatically feels the urge to do when he picks up a guitar!

I ordered Blow Up from Amazon on Sunday. Television were just great. I already have 'Marquee Moon', on which 'See No Evil' and the title track really stand out....for different reasons. 'Evil' because of the corking guitar solo (Richard Lloyd, I think) which has an amazing air of energised desperation about it, and MM because of the way Tom Verlaine comes up with the most oddly unexpected but thoroughly enjoyable note and phrasing choices.

Fans of Television should get Tom Verlaine's 'A Miller's Tale' anthology. The live cd in this set has some brilliantly inventive playing, most notably in 'Always', 'Breaking in My Heart' and of course that version of 'Marquee Moon'.

Marvellous! :biggrin:

Foghat

Ashtrayhead said:
and I'm with tdr1nka on Made in Japan. I got a 3cd set of each nights live performance and there's one bit where Gillan laughs when Blackmore fluffs the intro to Smoke on the Water!
'Deep Purple in Concert' (1970-1972 I think) also has some good messing about by the band. On 'Lucille', the rhythm section sets off and Gillan does a bit of explaining..."Here's a bit of boogaloo....it's an old song written by, er, Little Richard".

Drums and bass continue tapping out a great rhythm while the keyboards play some random melody, and Blackmore is WAY WAY out of tune with his desultory and random intro chops. He carries on with the odd little out-of-tune lick or chord, still miles from the rest of the band who quite clearly aren't prepared to wait, and there's the most god-awful pitch-adjustment sounds as he cranks away tuning the strings.

So the rest keep going and the guitar disappears altogether, still out of tune, until suddenly, several minutes in, Blackmore crashes in with the most impeccable timing and BANG in tune, and they commence the song proper.

Fantastic!

Foghat

Andy in Sig said:
Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe and Irish Tour '74
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
Ten Years After did a great live double but I can't remember what it was called.
The Who Live At Leeds.
Stones - Get Yer YaYas Out

Good man....excellent choices!

TYA was 'Recorded Live'.....? Alvin Lee in full flow was/is very good indeed.

Foghat

Some more highly recommended live albums:

Captured Live - Johnny Winter
Full-on straight-ahead play-as-if-your-life-depended-on-it rock blues from his 1976 heyday. Total exhilaration right the way through, and a frantic 10-minute slide-fest on 'Highway 61'. Who'd think a stick-thin, unhealthy-looking, cross-eyed albino could become one of the greatest guitar heroes able to command the total attention of full 100,000-seat stadiums with confidence so supreme that he would announce "Check this out...." before going off on one?

'Live at the Agora Ballroom' - Molly Hatchet
Pile-driving southern hard boogie at its best.

London 1974 - Captain Beefheart
Some great chooglin' Capt from his most listenable period. The rambling yet tight sound is guaranteed to put you in a good mood.

It's Alive - Ramones
A classic 1-2-3-4 chainsaw-blitzkrieg from da brudders.

Live at Ludlow Garage - Allman Brothers
Worth it just for the edge-of-the-seat slide duelling frenzy in 'Dimples'.

'Band of Gypsys', 'Live at Woodstock' and 'Live at the Isle of Wight' - Jimi Hendrix
No explanation required......!

In Concert - The Doors
Top musicianship - one man playing bass and keyboards, as it were, simultaneously and some real haunting guitar from Robbie Krieger. Singer's not bad either!

Charly Legends Live - Roy Buchanan
After Johnny Winter, the most unlikely looking guitar hero, and in 'Short Fuse' the most extraordinarily frantic high energy playing from someone generally considered more of a 'blues' player.

Double Live Gonzo - Ted Nugent
Highly exhilarating music from the man with the best stance in rock.

Hogs on the Road - The Groundhogs
Highly distinctive, industrious and noisy. Play it if you want to wake up the neighbours.

Live at Shepperton - The Damned
After Daltrey's scream-shout in 'Won't Get Fooled Again', the one in 'Smash It Up' on this album by Dave 'Dracula' Vanian is the next most impressive. Short recording but full of well crafted energetic punk rock.

Live in Europe - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Most people don't realise that CCR were one of the best early guitar-hero bands, as they just equate John Fogerty to some famous songwriting achievements. Not the most advanced or technical of players, but he had feel and presence in spades in his playing style, with the 13-minute 'Keep On Chooglin' really showcasing this.

Smell of Female - The Cramps
Way too short, but their weird style and bassless sound was never better captured than on this, with 'Psychotic Reaction' having one of the most enjoyable really simple riffs I've heard.

The Last Waltz - The Band
Buy it for Robbie Robertson's intro to 'Who Do You Love'. A player noted for what he leaves out almost as much as what he leaves in. Everything else, including the upper echelon musicianship and Americana-at-its-best is a bonus!

And, of course, last but not least and in fact first....anything recorded live 1970-84 by my beloved Grateful Dead. Mesmerising feelgood exploratory improvised noodle-rock spawning legions of devoted seekers (and finders!) of aural nirvana. Boy, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Well, there's a few to be getting on with. All GUARANTEED to impress, excite and inspire. Buy them now! :biggrin::biggrin:

Renard

Foghat said:
It's Alive - Ramones
A classic 1-2-3-4 chainsaw-blitzkrieg from da brudders.

Live at Shepperton - The Damned
After Daltrey's scream-shout in 'Won't Get Fooled Again', the one in 'Smash It Up' on this album by Dave 'Dracula' Vanian is the next most impressive. Short recording but full of well crafted energetic punk rock.

Good call on both counts! :biggrin:

Gotta Let This Hen Out.

i was there for that one.

simonali

Guru
My old avatar was the cover of Talk Talk's only live album London 1986. I like it a lot and wish I'd bought an original copy when it didn't cost about 70 quid! Same concert was apparently filmed but never released, due to the band falling out with the record label. ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
'Coming Of Age' by Camel

Never heard Andy Latimer playing so well and with so much emotion (except the recording of 'Lady Fantasy' on 'Pressure Points Live' - he was on the verge of tears during that.

Get well soon, Andy.

Top Bottom