Gumtree courier collection scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
that's true. I guess it's because someone could have an issue with what they've bought off you and then come to your house and cause trouble. But that's what door locks are for, and the Police. If someone picks something up from my house, I open the dor but do the deal on the doorstep or for larger things, in my garage. I guess if they saw what I had and came back to rob me, they'd be the prime suspect, and there's probbaly a way for the police to get their contact details from Gumtree if they so wished.

alex_cycles

Veteran
The advise seems to be contradictory in some cases

If you are the buyer it says to make sure you know eher the seller lives - and pick it up from their house so you can be sure

but if you are the seller then the advise if often to meet in a separate place so they don;t know where you live

at least one part of the deal has to ignore that !

It's all just common-sense though isn't it? Gumtree doesn't have a stake in either side not getting ripped off, they just don't want to get sued so give extreme advice for both sides. Bottom line. Be careful, be aware of what could go wrong and go into it with your eyes open.
Buying second-hand goods is always a punt.

keithmac

Guru
We had a customer a fair few years back that had been "done over" and had a motorcycle stolen, the Police actually caught them at another unfortunates house.

Apparently they had another 10 bikes on a list with addresses from Ebay, so for me that means they've asked to view these motorcycles.

It's hard work but I can see the pros and cons of selling from home.

Top Bottom