Had bike fitting but not comfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Basically I feel too stretched out. If I hold the hoods it's a stretch and pretty uncomfortable. I end up at the top bit.

The specs for Cube GTC Pro Disc say 30mm for stem - this can't be right!!!! Anyone know what it is? It's in the garage and it's too dark to be going out there

If it's say 110mm, would 20mm less actually make a difference or should I be going much shorter!

Drago

Legendary Member
Welcome to my World. A bike fit caused me problems with an old injury, despite having disclosed it in great detail.

S-Express

Basically I feel too stretched out. If I hold the hoods it's a stretch and pretty uncomfortable. I end up at the top bit.

The specs for Cube GTC Pro Disc say 30mm for stem - this can't be right!!!! Anyone know what it is? It's in the garage and it's too dark to be going out there

If it's say 110mm, would 20mm less actually make a difference or should I be going much shorter!

What did your bike fitter say when you told him all this?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Surely you mean "Did you tell your bike fitter all of this?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Slick

Guru
When did you have the fit done? Sometimes you have to persevere with something new. Did you go to Edinburgh?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Got fitted a few years ago in Wishaw. Got a new bike this year set to same measurements. Probably done about 300 miles on it.

When he had me leaning right forward in hoods he says that's how I'm supposed to be positioned. But I find through experience it causes a sore back.

Slick

Guru
Got fitted a few years ago in Wishaw. Got a new bike this year set to same measurements. Probably done about 300 miles on it.

When he had me leaning right forward in hoods he says that's how I'm supposed to be positioned. But I find through experience it causes a sore back.
Maybe he's right, if you were on the tour. 300 miles is enough time to know if you're going to get used to it or not.

Slick

Guru
Maybe something has changed in the few years since you had the fit?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don't intend to enter the TdF, just settle for feeling comfortable when you ride the bike. You can work that out for yourself. YouTube has loads of stuff. Throwing money at bike fitters is for those who are either serious or wealthy.
Or injured. I had one done recently by a Physio who does himself ride bikes and was fully aware of my current joint issues. We spent 15 minutes discussing before I even got on the bike :smile: I didn't much rate the Retul fit I had done a few years ago. The guy wasn't medically trained and was a racer, so probably not the best fitter for a crocked recreational cyclist. If not go to a bike shop again. I've been happy with the two Physio bike assessments though

To the OP, is the bike definitely the right size :smile: Go back to the fitter and say you're not comfortable

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Have a play with the bar angle/stems.

Nothing, nothing, and absolutely nothing is more important than comfort. No point being optimally biomehanically efficient if you're in too much discomfort to ride.

Top Bottom