Had my first flat tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbeqs

...and it's taken the wind out of my sails. The actual tyre seemed to have untucked itself at one part and I prised it back into the rim. (Apologies, I don't know the technical names, it might be called something else)

I'm not sure how it happened, but I did get caught in the door earlier and maybe this is when it's happened.
Luckily my neighbour was able to inflate it, as I'm clueless, but he thinks there may be a slow puncture so I'm watching it.

Thing is it's put me off going far.

How frequent are punctures?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not frequent. I commute 25 miles a day and I've had two in the last 6 months due to glass.

My GPS informed me I was stopped for just 9 minutes including unpacking panniers and tidying stuff up and packing away.

Easy peasy

I would suggest you use the wonderful Internet and Google videos on fixing punctures. Takes no time at all.

vickster

Legendary Member
In 7000 miles, I've probably had fewer than 10 on various bikes. Most caused actually by riding over big lumps of metal etc in the road rather than small stuff like glass and thorns. A couple of repeats probably due to my own ineptitude, with over inflation or trapped tubes (and recently two riding at relative speed into a kerb, don't ask) :blush:

Just look where you are riding, keep your tyres pumped up and check the tyres for wear.

If you are really concerned, join ETA's recovery service and if if happens they'll at least get you home, in a position where you can get home or to a bike shop where you can get it fixed

Also, if speed isn't a concern, you could change to marathon plus tyres, which are very puncture resistant (although there's no such thing as puncture proof). They can be a pig to get on, so have them fitted at a shop if not confident. Youtube is helpful for how to fix a puncture :smile:

I usually fix mine at home, generally take under 30 minutes as I have to take it slowly to avoid getting cross! I did my first roadside one last Saturday for my ride buddy, and it was quick, under 30 minutes :smile:

Avoid Wilko's inner tubes, they are utter tosh in my experience, while the Halfords ones are not expensive and actually decent (certainly no worse than a branded one like Specialized or Schwalbe)

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Thanks, I have a spare Specialized that I bought with the bike.
My neighbour said I might need a bike tyre lever.
So that's my next purchase, they're cheap enough apparently.

I wasn't this anxious the first time I fell off or when the mudguard came loose, I guess I'll learn.

THANK YOU!

vickster

Legendary Member

I wasn't this anxious the first time I fell off or when the mudguard came loose, I guess I'll learn.

THANK YOU!
You'll need two in my experience, they normally come in threes anyhow, the park tools ones are good :smile: I find an old Magnum ice cream stick useful for running round the rim once refitted to check no tube trapped, but not crucial

Don't bother repairing at the road (if at all), just carry with you at least one spare inner tube, 2 tyre levers, a pump and/or CO2 cartridge.

At home, practice removing and replacing the tyre. You don;t want to first time to be when its cold, dark and raining!

Plenty of youtube videos to learn how.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@vickster is spot on about Wilko tubes - they are all but useless.

I don't get through many, but usually buy Continental or Schwalbe which can often be had for under a fiver.

Halfords own label are also OK in my limited 'one tube' experience.

howard2107

THANK YOU!
One of this months mags has got a set of tyre levers free with it. But as you rightly say they are cheap as chips anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the key words to look for with tyre levels is "fibreglass-reinforced", especially if you're fitting puncture-protected tyres because they tend to be tougher. There seems little correlation between price and whether the levers are reinforced or made of cheese, though!

Tube changing is dead easy:

a) if you have a spare tube
b) if you have tyre levers (at least 2)
c) if you've had a practice beforehand and not out in the rain on a dark night, 10 miles from home.
d) if you've a pump with you, and....
e) if your bike has axles with nuts, you've got a bike spanner with you that fits the nuts. If you haven't, you'll need a puncture repair kit with you to fix the leak. If your wheels have quick release fittings (skewers) you don't need a spanner to drop out the wheel, and then you can change the tube. If you can't drop the wheel out, you have to mend the tube in-situ. Some wheels won't go back in inflated without backing off the brake pads - so have a practice!

howard2107

I would say that being able to deal with a puncture is a must. If you can do that, and keep the bike properly maintained (regular clean and lube, and check everything is tight) then you will seldom come undone on your travels. I used to tell trainee aircraft engineers, that it is easier to tighten a loose bolt, even awkward ones, than it is to deal the chaos it will cause at 38000 feet when it comes off. Its always the little things that cause the biggest problems, and it doesnt matter if it is a bike or owt else.

vickster

Legendary Member
They used to scare me - I'm ok now, I just have to do everything slowly and logically to avoid getting frustrated! Practice does make it easier as you can remember what you did last time. The worst thing is getting filthy hands from the chain (if a rear puncture) and the tyre/wheel, so carry gloves and babywipes...especially if you have white bartape!

Top Bottom