Had my first flat tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Yup, some good advice above. Fixing a flat tyre is one of the easier jobs you can do, but it is very worth while getting some practice in at doing it. The hardest part is getting the tyre off and back on again, there is a bit of a knack that takes a few attempts to get. You'll also need tools, which are worth having with you if you cycle a lot, and some form of bag, be it a rucksack or saddlebag to hold it all.

Stuff you need:

Tyre levers, Park tools as mentioned above do some great ones, best I've used.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-puncture-kit-with-tyre-levers/
Comes with patches for fixing holes in inner tubes. Bargain.

You'll also need some way of inflating the tyre at the roadside, something like this should be a good cheapish option. That should be ok to pump up the tyres on your bike.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-cnc-mini-pump/
Bear in mind that your tyres will have an ideal pressure that it needs to be pumped to, minimum as well as maximum, and whilst you don't need to worry too much about that at the side of the road, it is worthwhile having a good pump at home that has a gauge on it. You can use a car foot pump, but they are not really designed for the job, and a proper track pump is worth the money. I got a cheap one from halfords for less than £15 and it's been a revelation.

II just had a check back, and from a previous post it looks like you have a Raleigh Cameo, my wife has the same bike, and it doesn't have quick releases on the wheels, so you also need to carry a spanner to take off the nuts on the wheel when you change the tyre. Something like this should do the trick
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-2812-Spanner-Stubby-15mm/dp/B0039ULMWI

Obviously you don't need these exact things, but they should give you an idea about what we are talking. One last hint, when you are putting the inner tube onto the wheel, it is well worth putting a little bit of air in first. This does two things, firstly it helps the tube keep it's shape and makes it easier to put on, and it also helps prevent you getting the inner tube caught between the wheel and the tyre, as this can cause a new puncture.

FastFlyer

Regular
I had my first flat on my new bike on its first ride after about 12 miles and I had no spares! However, it went flat about 20 meters from my house.

Don't know whether that's extremely lucky or unlucky.

(The bike is second hand so I don't feel let down by the tyres yet!) (pun not intended)

aNOMalous

Just as everyone else said...gets easier with practise. I would spend an invaluable 30 mins having a go at getting the tyre on and off so you know what to do. Also a few pearls people have shared with me or I've learned on the way:
1. Always check the inside of the tyre for sharps before replacing the tube (otherwise won't be long until you're doing it again!)
2. Spend a minute double checking that the tube isn't caught between the tyre and rim before inflating
3. Check the tyre wall isn't split (went through both my tubes and a friend's before we realised what the problem was!)

This! Make sure the tube is seated properly.. I just put new tires on my bike for the first time. Took it out for test run and all was well. All of a sudden my tire started to rub my brake? What the..? I slowed down and KABOOOOM! Sounded like a gun shot. Lol took it to the LBS and they taught me a few tips on how to do it next time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Could be the wrong tyres for the surface or particularly debris-strewn surface but the nature of randomness is that sometimes two will come along in fairly quick succession... as long as it's not so quick that it suggests you've failed to remove the sharp cause from the tyre, I'd wait for a third before making changes.

At least, are you getting faster at fixing them? :smile:

Grumpyfatman

Only thing i'd add is that if you need to remove the tyre fully to check for damage, remember to check whether the tyre itself has a particular direction of travel arrow on it and to put it back on in the correct direction. Flats aren't a huge problem to deal with as already explained above, google and other forum advice, but if you have to spend an extra 10 minutes pulling the tyre back off and replacing it in the correct direction it can be a little infuriating.
I've made this error twice replacing tyres on the MTB as the panaracer tyres i was using ran in opposite directions depending whether it was mounted on the front or rear wheel. Unsurprisingly it's one of the first things i check now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
In the last 10,000 miles or so I have had about 10. The other day I had 6 of those 10 in one day.
Changing an inner tube is easy peasy, patching a tube is equally easy. My Dad taught me when I was 7.

Don't be put off riding by something that is childishly easy to learn to fix.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Great idea. I suggested tweezers to hubby for his repair kit for getting thorns or glass out there but he looked at me like I was an alien!
Very sensible suggestion! A year or so ago I came upon a rider I knew, many miles from home, who had used up his 2 spare tubes, both puncturing after a few miles. He had no puncture repair kit. I helped him remove the tyre and it was only after very close exanmination, flexing the tyre as we went, that we discovered a tiny piece of glass - which I removed with the fine point tweezers I carry. I 'lent' him a glueless patch, fixed one of the tubes and he went on his way. It is really crucial to find out what caused the puncture, and whether it is still there, ready to make a hole in your new tube! I never leave home without my tweezers :okay:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This shouldn't happen. I'd be concerned that your rim is bent.

35,000 and quite a few punctures: I've never had a tyre come off a rim. In fact, I've never heard of it happening unless the wheel was damaged.
brilliant, the op was worried about a flat, now they are worried their bike is about to spontaneously combust!!

it was probably never put on properly in the first place.

best to check that rim just in case though...now you got me worried!!!

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I'm guessing that the puncture sealing stuff ( slime and the likes) isn't any good as no one is mentioning it?
I used some when I had a puncture in my rear wheel a few years back, and I fitted a tube with it already in to my front, and have had no problems.
I read somewhere that many tyres are under a lot of pressure these days and the gooey stuff comes out so fast it doesn't get time to mend and just makes a nice mess of everything. :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I read somewhere that many tyres are under a lot of pressure these days and the gooey stuff comes out so fast it doesn't get time to mend and just makes a nice mess of everything. :rolleyes:
It works fine to hybrid/roadster pressures (80psi max) but I did once redecorate King Street with slimy foam after pumping up a tyre with a hole that was too big for the slime to seal properly :laugh:

Top Bottom