Had my first flat tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Makes a bit of a mess at 110psi but still seals.

I don't use them but my pal does, to great effect.
Hmm i may give them a bit more thought as i am planning a few trips down an unused railway track wich has been turned into a cycle run.:okay:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Have another flat tyre!!!!!

I'm obviously doing something wrong!!!
Pop the tyre off and check very thoroughly around the inside for anything sharp. Remove any that you find. The first puncture I had was caused by a tiny sharp stone that had worked its way through the rubber and finally all the way through to the tube.

I fixed the tube and removed the stone, but 3 days later it was flat again. When the stone had gone through it had pushed some of the wires inwards and created a sharp area that rubbed on the tube and punctured it again. I covered the exposed wires with a sticky patch and that sorted it.

That's been the only puncture I've had on a road bike, my only other puncture was on the MTB going down a muddy bridleway in winter. The cause was obvious, a 3 inch long metal staple had gone straight through the lot. That was a messy repair and it was getting dark. And just as I was fitting the new tube, it started snowing :laugh: Someone must have hated me that day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cause was obvious, a 3 inch long metal staple had gone straight through the lot.
That's not obvious. THIS is obvious:
TyreNail.jpg

That lovely was from Black Rock Path north of Weston-super-Mare, not long after it opened in 2010 - I've no idea what junk they used to surface it, but that sort of lovely was common enough that I mainly used the nearby road instead.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's not obvious. THIS is obvious:
View attachment 100538
That lovely was from Black Rock Path north of Weston-super-Mare, not long after it opened in 2010 - I've no idea what junk they used to surface it, but that sort of lovely was common enough that I mainly used the nearby road instead.
Ok, after your tyre noise oddity in the other thread ... I had a similar puncture once on my mountain bike, only the big nail had gone sideways through the tyre so the head was touching the rim on one side, and the point had come out by the rim on the other side like the one in your photo. How did THAT happen! :wacko:

Even more unbelievably, the tyre did not go down. The only reason I noticed was because the nail was catching on the frame once per revolution of the wheel!

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ok, after your tyre noise oddity in the other thread ... I had a similar puncture once on my mountain bike, only the big nail had gone sideways through the tyre so the head was touching the rim on one side, and the point had come out by the rim on the other side like the one in your photo. How did THAT happen! :wacko:
If you ever figure it out, you could make money performing the stunt on inappropriate Strava segments. ;)

Mine was obvious because the nail no longer passed through the brakes, so I skidded to a stop and walked home carrying the bike.

I guess when you ride as much as we have, almost everything that can go wrong will have happened to someone... :laugh:

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Thanks, my neighbour was most helpful and replaced the tube while I patched the one with 2 little tiny holes on.
Back in the saddle today :smile: albeit to travel to work :sad:

with 2 little tiny holes on
Like this?

Tpk7b.jpg

If so, that's a snake bite.

Sheldon Brown

Sheldon Brown said:
  • If you find two holes, one above another, you probably have what is commonly called a "snake bite," a pinch cutresulting from hitting a stone or pavement break and pinching the tube between the rim and the rock. This sort of failure is most often caused by insufficient tire pressure.

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Not unsimilar but I pulled a thorn out of the tyre in that spot so maybe a bit of both.

Tin Pot

Guru
Every Friday evening:

1x inner tube
2x levers
1x CO2 canister & adapter
1x stopwatch

Create a thread and post your tales of glory on CC, you'll be a confident tube changer in two weeks and maybe get a job in Team Sky!

Ihatehills

Every Friday evening:

1x inner tube
2x levers
1x CO2 canister & adapter
1x stopwatch

Create a thread and post your tales of glory on CC, you'll be a confident tube changer in two weeks and maybe get a job in Team Sky!

I'm now imagining formula one style tyre changes lol

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

I don't really want to have to practice any more, as in 'NO MORE PUNCTURES', but yes, I see that practice will increase competence and confidence.

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Well, I'm pretty sure I've got another one... Third in 6 weeks...
Am I too heavy for the bike?
Should I get more durable tyres?
SO frustrating....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm now imagining formula one style tyre changes lol

You may jest, but the pro mechanics always leave the quick release lever level, facing backwards.

The reasons are that in the heat of the moment anyone changing the wheel will know where the lever is, and facing backwards it is quicker to get fingers around it than if it was facing inside the rear triangle.

Top Bottom