Had my first flat tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I'm pretty sure I've got another one... Third in 6 weeks...
Am I too heavy for the bike?
Should I get more durable tyres?
SO frustrating....

3 flat tyres in a "period" of time (what feels close together) is my cue that the tyres are worn out.

Yup, replace. If they have a good few miles on them, then they are just probably worn out. If they are pretty new, then they are not tough enough for your riding conditions, and look for something tougher.

I've been very happy getting an average on about 4000 miles on £10 rubinos.

I've had such good luck with Rubinos, I will stick to them until they let me down. Twice. They are so good, and so cheap/value (depending on which one I buy) that they would have to behave badly twice before I gave up on them.

Your mileage really may vary.

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

I only got the bike in May.

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the tyres? Stock ones aren't usually very good especially if riding in all weathers

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Whatever tyres they put on a Raleigh Cameo (sorry, I don't know and the bike is not with me)

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Thanks, I'll have to save up and get them or keep patching my tubes, already budgetted this month's salary.

Glass Kites

I can recommed those Schwalbe Marathon plus too. Had them on all summer and no punctures at all. Took some hassle to fit them though: 2 x hours, 1 x trip to bike shop, 1 x new inner tube, 1 x mental breakdown, 2 x beers - but eventually managed it.

Wouldn't be confident removing them at roadside personally, but they are great.

Grumpyfatman

I'm using Schwalbe marathon green guards which are similar to the marathon plus and also haven't had any issues at all since installing them three months ago (300 miles cycled since)
Mathathon plus is what I had intended to buy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Marathon Green guards are almost as good except for weaker sides, which actually helps the ride quality IMO. I use them or Delta Cruisers on my bikes as first choices.

Whatever tyres they put on a Raleigh Cameo (sorry, I don't know and the bike is not with me)
It's not the green one, is it? Professor Google says that comes with white tyres, and that would mean they don't have toughening benefit of added carbon that just about every tyre has.

If budget is tight, i can highly recommend Rubinos which are less than half the cost of Marathon Plus (I hate those malevolent tyres!). Also, if you are only getting flats in one wheel - rear is typical - then you could replace that tyre, and leave the other for a while.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176/

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

It's not the green one, is it? Professor Google says that comes with white tyres, and that would mean they don't have toughening benefit of added carbon that just about every tyre has.

If budget is tight, i can highly recommend Rubinos which are less than half the cost of Marathon Plus (I hate those malevolent tyres!). Also, if you are only getting flats in one wheel - rear is typical - then you could replace that tyre, and leave the other for a while.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vittoria-rubinos.148176/
Superlike this idea, yes, it is the white buggers and yes it is the rear one!
Thanks, I feel less of a rhino (too heavy) and don't feel like it's reckless riding or being careless.

Superlike this idea, yes, it is the white buggers and yes it is the rear one!
Thanks, I feel less of a rhino (too heavy) and don't feel like it's reckless riding or being careless.
That's an upright bike, all the weight is on your rear tyre. My folder is like that, and I replaced my rear tyre several times without even having a flat in the front. In fact, I bent the rim of the front wheel in a collision before I'd ever had a puncture, which meant the front tyre outlasted the wheel.

Rubinos come in green and black, so it can still match your frame, if not as eye catching as the white tyres.

OP
OP
sbeqs

sbeqs

Well I have bought a pair of tyres from the local bike shup, they give 10% discount to workers from my workplace.
They're NUTRAK?

They were £12.99 each before discount.

Do they sound okay?

Top Bottom