Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Mine doesn't care, although they do ask on sick forms about getting the money back from third parties. Anyway, the one time I was hit the last thing I wanted to do was limp my buggered bike and bashed up self in to work for the day.

vickster

Legendary Member
A thought I had for the OP - is the bike insured for accidental damage away from home on your home insurance. You may get stung for an excess and on future premiums but worth a look.

The bike should be insured if on C2W so you're not left high and dry with payments to make if it were to get stolen for example

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
People are quick to condemn Halfords out of hand, which is grossly unfair and not helpful to a novice.
No no no, people were very SLOW to condemn Halfords. It used to be a half-decent high street motor spares and bike parts chain, so was given the benefit of the doubt by so many people for so long that it became a marketing snowball that still takes in unsuspecting new riders, sometimes for a long time before they realise what's happening and bikes don't have to be that way. Halfords can probably continue for some time by feeding off new riders.

But now so many people have experienced the current Halfords workmanship lottery and been left taking their bikes to other mechanics to put right what Halfords got wrong, or have helped friends left stranded after their Halfords-serviced bike broke down, that a lot are now quite happy to label the chain in general with "avoid - ride away as fast as you can".

Many other motor spares/bike parts chains seem to have gone the same way, probably as part of a race to the bottom with Halfords. The better ones have given up on bike mechanic work, realising they're neither willing to join that race or able to command the slightly higher prices of a Local Bike Shop.

I'm not criticising the forumites as such, I'm railing against the automatic assumption that Halfords bikes are crap, and that it's better if their mechanics don't build them.
That's something else: I don't like many Halfords bikes, but if I was limited to them by a run-by-non-cyclists cycle2work or similar, I'd let them build it... and then get someone more reliable to double-check it!

Unless there's a clear smoking gun on the rear mechanism, I don't think the Original Poster has a hope in hell of getting more than that goodwill offer.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's something else: I don't like many Halfords bikes, but if I was limited to them by a run-by-non-cyclists cycle2work or similar, I'd let them build it... and then get someone more reliable to double-check it!
You can get pretty much any of the named brands on halfords c2w, i nearly had a cannondale a few years back but opted for the boardman as at the time it offered the most bang for the buck.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get pretty much any of the named brands on halfords c2w, i nearly had a cannondale a few years back but opted for the boardman as at the time it offered the most bang for the buck.
You can also use the Halfords voucher at quite a few independents, or you could. I got a bike from Pearsons about 5 years ago

vickster

Legendary Member
There used to be a list on the Halfords c2w site, dk if still the case

Tin Pot

Guru
Interestingly I am currently sitting next to someone who used to work in Halfords legal department and who used to deal with their third party claims at County Courts. (My missus).
She dealt with numerous cases such as this one.
She's just read the OP and said that the only redress there might be, would be for an independent expert to examine the bike to determine whether mechanical failure caused the accident. In other words, to prove it was a component fault and not an assembly fault.

I don't know why virtually everyone on this thread has assumed one or the other.

We can't see the root cause.

That said, I also agree that it would be hard to prove Halfords were at fault.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I still want to know why the mech would be anywhere near the spokes when descending a hill at 20 mph. It doesn't sound like the limit screws should have anything to do with it

Tin Pot

Guru
What other cause, other than poor assembly or component failure, would you suggest?

I explained myself poorly.

I mean that a lot of people have assumed the assembly was at fault, and some others have assumed Halfords are at fault. And started having a go at people.

We should be assuming neither. We just don't know.

And, I agree with your post.

Top Bottom