Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah, so that's the misunderstanding, I thought you were just being mean :sad:

... or it doesn't. About 90% of broken collar bones heal themselves, so that's why they take a conservative approach. Turns out I'm in the lucky 5 or 10% with non-union. After 8 weeks, there was no sign of the bones joining, so I am a candidate for plating. Still a chance it will heal itself, and indeed - as I can ride 300km with no discomfort - it's possible I can go through life happily with a non-unionified clavicle.
I've had one of those for the past 6 years, it is too close to the end of the bone to plate and if they did and I fell on it again then to quote the consultant surgeon "you'd be in a right mess, so it is better to leave it"

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it at all possible this was a troll?
well 1 post , probably did not get the reaction they were hoping for and left in a huff.
He probably won't have time to take photo's he's given up cycling it's far to dangerous and ordered a new car. It's a Caterham 7 the only one he could find with a self assembly option.
http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/self-assembly
Last seen on a kit car forum asking what the torque settings are for hub nuts.
Shall we all join and ask him if he had torqued the boardman`s mech right :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
That's only with cars, where there's a separate tier of legislation and case law to SOGA. In any case, the OP bought essentially a kit of parts on his own insistence, willfully deprived the store of the opportunity to conduct the post assembly safety check which forms part of their build process, and topped it off by signing a document to say he did this of his own free will, was properly qualified to assemble to machine, and accepts full responsibility for any adverse consequences that arise as a result of not allowing the store to complete the assembly and satisfy themselves as to the safety of the finished product. The document is full of legalese, undoubtedly written by someone skilled in the area of contract law arse covering.

I know exactly what the disclaimer says because I've done exaCtly the same thing myself, most recently last autumn when I bought the Wife a Pendleton. The difference is I actually read it before signing, and I am Cytec qualified. The OP makes no mention of being qualified to assemble the bike, and is clearly not even competent to assemble the machine, hence almost killing themselves on their first outing.

When they willfully signed that document they either misled the store at best, or lied to them at worst about their qualifications and skills, depending on how generous you view such an action. How is it in any way the fault of the retailer of the purchaser does not tell the truth during the transaction?

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If Halfords have stated that it was not a defect that caused the problem, you could ask to see their expert evidence to that effect. If you were not satisfied with that, you could also get the parts analysed independently.
If the case ended up in County Court, the chances are that they would side with with the 'little man' , as they generally do in these types of cases. Halfords know this, which is the reason that they make an offer. It's cheaper than having to go to court, with all the expense that involves, only to end up paying out what they had offered in the first place.However, the fact that Halfords have already made what could be considered a reasonable offer, that was turned down, may be taken into consideration in any settlement.
If I was in the same situation as the OP, I would accept the offer. Particularly so if my missus had been preparing Halfords case!
Good job she's retired now...........

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
... The difference is I actually read it before signing, and I am Cytec qualified. The OP makes no mention of being qualified to assemble the bike, and is clearly not even competent to assemble the machine, hence almost killing themselves on their first outing.

When they willfully signed that document they either misled the store at best, or lied to them at worst about their qualifications and skills, depending on how generous you view such an action. How is it in any way the fault of the retailer of the purchaser does not tell the truth during the transaction?

2nd outing...I guess they were just lucky the first time!

Top Bottom