Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Video shows the drive train fully assembled by Halford. That is the subject of contention.

Because the assembly was never completed by Halfords, they were not afforded the opportunity to complete the post assembly safety check. There is no point of contention there.

The OP then fails a second time by not conducting a pre ride check. There is no point of contention there.

Two opportunities to prevent this sorry incident, and neither were seized upon solely because of the OPs own actions, or lack thereof.

If I crash my truck on the way to or from works its counted as a PolAc or PolCol. Crash my bicycle going there or back and they wouldn't give a sheet.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I say the last one because it happened to me. A side plate of a chain link had snapped, but the other side was holding together. I had noticed that shifting had become very noisy and hesitant, but I had assumed it needed a tension adjustment. Eventually the broken plate jammed in the jockey wheel. Luckily I was pedalling very easy at the time and felt it jam. Had I been pedalling hard, it would have ripped the mech off and sent it into the wheel.

This exact thing happened to me - the side plate jammed the jockey wheels and pulled the whole mech into the wheel. I had to get the frame fixed. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/catastrophic-drivetrain-failure.119965/

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I don't follow, my point was if he had an accident commuting, it should be put in the accident book. Certainly I had to when I came off and turned up injured at work!
Sound about right.
You would, after all, be going to work on a vehicle belonging to the employer. Bit like using a company car.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can be in a Polac just by being in proximity to a smack.

Many years ago i was astride a work motorcycle, stuck in rush hour traffic. Unbeknownst to me a lad coming up behind was on a stolen moped. He saw me, panicked, tried to ride up a kerb to escape down an alley, fell off and broke his leg. Despite half a dozen witnesses confirming most robustly my account, and despite me not even having a clue about the lads presence, my MC ticket was suspended and I was investigated for being involved in a proximity PolAc.

4 months later I was reinstated, and I told them to shove their ticket where the sun doesn't shine if that's how they treat people. This didn't go down well, so as a punishment I was taken off RPU for a month and made to sit in an office with no night shift, every weekend off, an hour for lunch, a big box of biscuits and a kettle, to which I replied, "oh no, please don't, oh go on then, if I must..." in a deadpan tone.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sound about right.
You would, after all, be going to work on a vehicle belonging to the employer. Bit like using a company car.
I wasn't on a c2w bike but I was on my way to work,hence it needed reporting. I don't think the OP was using the bike for commuting at the time however

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You can be in a Polac just by being in proximity to a smack.

Many years ago i was astride a work motorcycle, stuck in rush hour traffic. Unbeknownst to me a lad coming up behind was on a stolen moped. He saw me, panicked, tried to ride up a kerb to escape down an alley, fell off and broke his leg. Despite half a dozen witnesses confirming most robustly my account, and despite me not even having a clue about the lads presence, my MC ticket was suspended and I was investigated for being involved in a proximity PolAc.

4 months later I was reinstated, and I told them to shove their ticket where the sun doesn't shine if that's how they treat people. This didn't go down well, so as a punishment I was taken off RPU for a month and made to sit in an office with no night shift, every weekend off, an hour for lunch, a big box of biscuits and a kettle, to which I replied, "oh no, please don't, oh go on then, if I must..." in a deadpan tone.

Musn't drift the thread for too long, but I've always been fascinated by police speak.

Another misunderstanding was when a detective said to me: "We've been getting a few snidey rapes recently."

Another pause, before the inevitable: "What is a snidey rape?"

The 'tec replied: "A rape in which we suspect the victim has fabricated the allegation."

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had accidents on my way to work before now and I've never filled an accident form in. Why is it relevant to report it?

KneesUp

Guru
I've had accidents on my way to work before now and I've never filled an accident form in. Why is it relevant to report it?
I was wondering this - also, how directly do you have to be going to work - e.g. if you extend your commute to make it into a nicer/longer ride do you still need to report it?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Full of gross generalisations and assumptions and speculations. In this respect your post isn't so different from those of the "forumites" you criticise.
I'm not criticising the forumites as such, I'm railing against the automatic assumption that Halfords bikes are crap, and that it's better if their mechanics don't build them. Surely you can see that the Op only followed half the advice, then wants us all to jump to his defence? You seem to be a bit touchy about it all! The call for an apology was irony by the way.......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh, that's a new one on me!

I think there are some force to force variations, possibly influenced by general local meanings for words.

The rape comment was made by a Durham Constabulary detective.

'Snidey' in County Durham may mean 'false' to the civvy population, although I had not heard it used that way before.

I also understand 'polac' is old-fashioned, and in most forces it's a 'polcol' which I suppose follows on from RTA turning into RTC.

Another one used in Durham is Police Office, meaning Police Station.

vickster

Legendary Member
Must have been company policy. Especially as they sent me, my knackered knee and bleeding elbow to A&E!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Must have been company policy. Especially as they sent me, my knackered knee and bleeding elbow to A&E!!
They've sent me to A&E but I don't think any accident form was filled in or if it was not by me. That was why I was asking. I hate filling in incident forms anyway so any reason not to fill one in I'm taking it!

vickster

Legendary Member
They've sent me to A&E but I don't think any accident form was filled in or if it was not by me. That was why I was asking. I hate filling in incident forms anyway so any reason not to fill one in I'm taking it!
The company had an accident book I needed to complete. I didn't have a choice

Top Bottom