Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Reached out with a broom handle through his spokes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why would he be downshifting when descending at 20mph?

There's no suggestion he was downshifting.

What he says is the derailleur became detached and tangled in the wheel.

Which lends strong support to the theory he didn't torque/check the hanger bolt, it worked loose, probably fell out, leaving the derailleur free to get close and personal with the spokes.

Halfords instruct self builders to torque the bolt, so he's on dodgy ground for a claim.

Hip Priest

Veteran
There's no suggestion he was downshifting.

What he says is the derailleur became detached and tangled in the wheel.

Which lends strong support to the theory he didn't torque/check the hanger bolt, it worked loose, probably fell out, leaving the derailleur free to get close and personal with the spokes.

Halfords instruct self builders to torque the bolt, so he's on dodgy ground for a claim.

Erm...can you not see the post I was replying to?

screenman

Legendary Member
He went over the summit on the big ring and big sprocket, on the way down he hit a small bump, this caused the wheel to flex slightly and caught the rear mech which had been poorly set up.

david k

Hi
Don`t shop at Halfords!! Best advice I can give^_^:okay:
I have bought three bikes from halfords and all have been set up very well and any issues have been dealt with promptly and professionally.
I did take one bike to my lbs for a service and they looked it over in a our 30 seconds and said it needed £200 worth of parts, I questioned them on each part and agreed to a service at £90 with some parts, 1k miles later it's still running great, why the extra parts I wonder?
My boardman CX had a BB issue and halfords had it a few days trying a couple of new BBs until they ordered in an upgraded part and fitted and it's been great since.
IME halfords have been far better than the LBS

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Its quite funny that we've got to 10 pages but the OP hasn't been back since just after he posted this thread. did someone upset him.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have bought three bikes from halfords and all have been set up very well and any issues have been dealt with promptly and professionally.
I did take one bike to my lbs for a service and they looked it over in a our 30 seconds and said it needed £200 worth of parts, I questioned them on each part and agreed to a service at £90 with some parts, 1k miles later it's still running great, why the extra parts I wonder?
My boardman CX had a BB issue and halfords had it a few days trying a couple of new BBs until they ordered in an upgraded part and fitted and it's been great since.
IME halfords have been far better than the LBS
None bike related but another example, went for a booster seat and as they did not have the one i wanted i got the next model up of the same brand for the original price even though the new one was double the cost of the one i wanted.

david k

Hi
None bike related but another example, went for a booster seat and as they did not have the one i wanted i got the next model up of the same brand for the original price even though the new one was double the cost of the one i wanted.
Sorry you are off topic, this should be under the "halfords upgrade hell" thread

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I just bought a can of GT85 from Halfords, well pleased and had a nice unbiased chat with the cycle guy about a new bike for my son, and I quote "bring him in to try some for size then go home and have a look on the net to see what's about with a cup of tea" fair enough.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Can you TMN yourself?

I suspect Halfords already feel they've reached out by offering anything at all in the circumstances described but the OP has not received the unanimous backing they expected and have gone elsewhere or if sensible, taken Halfords offer and learnt a costly lesson.

Repeating a post several times doesn't make it any more likely to be right.

Top Bottom