Halfords Bike Hell - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I do my ABCs before every ride, so would have discovered a hanger problem. If the bike has been left out of sight, locked up in public, or been worked on then I give it the full BESTCOP before riding. It's a lesson written in the blood of less conscientious riders.

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots... I've no problem with bold pilots, just so long as they don't expect any sympathy when it catches them out.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
M check every time for me. I got a schoolin' the hard way.

midlife

Guru
I think the expectation is that for a PDI of a brand new bike you do. Back in the 1970's the standard of build straight from the Raleigh factory brings back memories of men in donkey jackets stood around a brazier!

Shaun

Tin Pot

Guru
I think the expectation is that for a PDI of a brand new bike you do. Back in the 1970's the standard of build straight from the Raleigh factory brings back memories of men in donkey jackets stood around a brazier!

Shaun

Was that some form of feminist protest?

Cyclist33

I'm going through life with only 30% of my right clavicle - and most of that is held together with cat gut.

If you do get plated, then it isn't necessarily permanent - most plates are taken out after about 6 months. A good orthopod will minimise scarring.

What causes/caused the non-fusion? I got told off after a couple of weeks because I was eg washing my hair with my broken arm hand, and also I was smoking, but after that I dedicated myself not minimalising movement of the break and it fused.

What causes/caused the non-fusion? I got told off after a couple of weeks because I was eg washing my hair with my broken arm hand, and also I was smoking, but after that I dedicated myself not minimalising movement of the break and it fused.
Clavicle fractures are apparently completely different to most other broken bones. I was told the worst thing I could do was sit on the couch, movement helps it heal. The more the better. I took this to heart. So maybe it's bad advice :sad:

Apparently there is a band of muscle around the clavicle, and movement generally pulls it together. Arms are better kept still, as the bones are (hopefully) still in contact, and you don't want to mess with that.

As for smoking: that slows healing. So you shouldn't do that if you want to get better. And you generally can't have plastic surgery (eg skin grafts) if you don't stop smoking.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Not checking the limit screws sounds like what caused it. Mech shifted into spokes.

Why would he be downshifting when descending at 20mph?

Top Bottom