Halfords & Wiggle - seriously WTF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
So they treated you badly and you still gave them your money - that is why they offer bad service!

Not quite.

a) I did not use the store with the inept "Assistant"

b) I did shop around (online) to check if I could get same item at same or better price, answer was no, so, I am not going to penalise myself. I think the expression is "cut off your nose, to spite your face".

pawl

Legendary Member
Never had a problem with Wiggle but never had to return an item.Ordered a rear wheel skewer Tuesday arrived Wednesday normal delivery by Hermes.
I also use Merlin Cycles High on bikes and occasionally Amazon Delivery is usually in two to three days.

I prefer to use my fairly local bike shop but currently they are in a tier three COVID 19 and I am of an age where I need to be careful

livpoksoc

Guru
fwiw I have ordered a fair amount from wiggle this year, and they have 365 day return policy and a very easy process. Bag it back up, shove it in a bin at my local asda and the refund arrives back with me that week.

I know it's easy to yell at the big boys, but wiggle started from somewhere and being from portsmouth, they're local enough to me (plus my actual lbs went bust. Sidenote, it's customer service was sh*t)

Sloth

All being equal I'd always buy from a LBS but if they are asking £65 for something I can get delivered for £45 then that's different.
I'm happy to support my LBS 's economy providing it supports mine!

Not sure I agree with (all) LBS's giving a cr*p though, I have spoken to all the ones near me and unless you know exactly what you want and don't need advice they can't be bothered, sometimes you can almost hear the patronising 'sigh' down the phone.
Also as most LBS's are run by serious cyclists there is definitely an element of elitism/snobbery sometimes. I have also found this with running shops, if you're not in the 'in crowd' of top local performers or local cycling club celebs (who's arses they lick hairless) then you're an inconvenience (they'll still take your money though!)

That's why I'm not especially loyal to them, they ask (sometimes a lot) more money yet (many) don't even provide anything extra for it?
If they were friendly (not just to top cyclists/runners) and offered a mine of knowledge and advice without patronising, then I'd perhaps pay (within reason) a little more.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
sometimes you can almost hear the patronising 'sigh' down the phone.
To be fair, how many times can you deal with a call from a customer with 'slipping/jumping/skipping chain/gears' and expecting the full drivetrain to be miraculously overhauled with change left over from a fiver! Even the most enthusiastic, customer focused bike shop worker is going to become jaded over time. At least people that know what they want usually know what it costs too.

Sloth

Incidentally, I ordered 2 new Schwarbe Marathon Supreme tyres and a set of Ergon GP5 bar grips/ends from MC Wednesday morning and they just arrived!
They even put a pack of gel energy chews in the box, that's a nice touch I thought.
They were also the cheapest for the tyres and grips (once you factored free delivery vs others charging around £5).
If they did the saddle I want at the right price I'd order from them with no worries at all.

Ironically although they are an online retailer to me, they are probably someone else's LBS!!! :wacko:

Sloth

To be fair, how many times can you deal with a call from a customer with 'slipping/jumping/skipping chain/gears' and expecting the full drivetrain to be miraculously overhauled with change left over from a fiver! Even the most enthusiastic, customer focused bike shop worker is going to become jaded over time. At least people that know what they want usually know what it costs too.

Do you work at a LBS perchance? :rolleyes:

The answer to your question is 'as many times as you get asked'
It's their/your job so if it's too much then they should perhaps get another job that doesn't involve customer facing and is more suited to a lack of empathy and patience.
Remember, you/they may have heard it a thousand times but to the customer (if you're lucky they may end up being one) it's probably a first and if they knew they'd not be asking..:rolleyes:
People don't have to use LBS's, as this thread proves.

Sloth

So...almost prophetic this is, I called into one of my LBS's yesterday.
I was looking for a saddle, shorts and some misc bits and bobs.
The guy there was surly, lazy and patronising and clearly could not be bothered with my questions or custom.
He looked down his nose at me and as I did not open the conversation with 'good morning my good fellow, I am a top athelete and would like to buy the most expensive bike you have and I hope you take cash?' had zero interest in assisting me.
Small minded moron who fails to see that the beginner of today is the keen cyclist of tomorrow looking for a nice bike and all his bits and bobs? Idiot.
I walked out and shall not go back.
Their loss was Halfords gain, who although not perfect, were a darn sight more helpful than that miserable git in the LBS.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Sloth - some LBS are great, others are difficult and frustrating. I choose not to use my closest for that reason, although have found a new one in the other direction that does 'budget' stuff. Nearby is another difficult one to use, that prefers to sell cranksets (and many, many other items) for £10 on eBay than dealing with customers. The one I use is approachable and able to deal with most customers so, despite being about 5 miles away, I'll use them.

I do wonder whether some cyclists start a bike shop without thinking that they'd have to deal with customers.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Ethically, I would always say to use a local shop rather than a chain retailer. And especially don't do the selfish thing of using the bike shop to test and try, then buy 10% cheaper online. That ain't fair at all. Local is good ...

However, I only use my LBS for things I need today, right now. The owner is OK but some of the staff are surly and rude. But the main problem is that the two bikes I have bought from them (brand new) have had faults that should have been picked up on PDI by anyone half-competent. I have also bought bikes from Halfords, and they have been in perfect order. The Halfords staff are keen and knowledgeable, will help you out at short notice, can chat bikes all day, and - best of all - treat me like they are happy I've called. So, although I understand that other have had different experiences, I won't diss Halfords, and I won't recommend my LBS.

I do wonder whether some cyclists start a bike shop without thinking that they'd have to deal with customers.

Absolutely.

Top Bottom