Hand Built Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm currently saving up for some new wheels, hoping to purchase in the new year, so just wondered what other CCers' experiences had been with their hand built wheels.

What components did you go for and why, who built them, how much did you spend and would you consider it money well spent?

Also, if anyone fancies giving some feedback on what I'm mulling over I'd be all ears. As most of the action they'll see will be fairly quick group and club riding with a fair few hills en route I'm after something nimble. There again, I'll also likely be using them to do the odd light tour with a large saddle bag so reliability and durability are also key requirements. Other than a few kgs of saddle bag over the rear wheel two or three times a year, all they'll be carrying is my steel, disc-braked Equilibrium road bike and all 10 stone of me.

I'm currently thinking:

Hope Pro 4 hubs
Sapim Laser spokes (24f x 24r) with brass nipples
H + Son Archetype or Pacenti SL25 rims - currently leaning towards the latter as they are disc-specific and would allow tubless if I decide to go that route in future (though no plans to at present).

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
I definitely consider my hand-built wheels to be money well spent.

My requirements were:
- durability and reliability, since I do longish rides in areas where equipment failure would be potentially very unfortunate, so minimising that risk is appealing;
- tubeless, for the same reasons as above;
- disk-specific;
- lighter than the original wheels, or at least no heavier.

They've done about 15,000km since new and have remained completely true, at least as far as I can see. No punctures that I'm aware of either.

I opted for White Industries CLD hubs, having considered Hope but not liking the noise the freewheel makes. Stans Notubes Grail rims. Sapim CX-Ray spokes, entirely for their supposed longevity, rather than the aero qualities. Built by DCR Wheels.

mattobrien

Guru
I've got a set of hand built wheels with a very similar spec to what you are considering. They are Hope pro hubs (6 bolt) with Sapim spokes and H Plus Son Archetypes.

They were built for me by my LBS and have been faultless over the course of around 6,000 miles. They are on my wet weather / commuter bike, so maintenance is sporadic and the wheels have required none.

I did see a pair of H Plus Son Archetype in LBS at the weekend with black decals (mine are white) which I though looked rather nice too.

I am sure there are lighter options available than what I chose, but I wanted something to be strong and last. So far they have more than done that.

As for hand built wheels, I am sure some more learned members will be along soon, but I have the above mentioned pair and my LBS also built me some Enve 3.4's on Chris King hubs. Mrs O has some Avee SR5 hubs on velocity rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes and as soon as the blooming hubs arrive my LBS will be building me a pair of Enve 5.6's - I have opted for Chris King centre lock hubs which are taking a little longer to turn up...

I've had 3 sets built so far, all by David at DCR. Certainly money well very spent. Personally I'd talk to your chosen builder without any preconceived ideas on components. If they're any good then they'll probably be able to suggest some combinations you'd never have otherwise considered.

My next challenge will be to get a set made for my Slate, 650b with a Lefty hub will make that a fun challenge.

betty swollocks

large member
My hand-built bike has hand-built wheels, made by Mog at Sven cycles, where the bike was made.
Chris King hubs with H+Son Hydra (tubeless and I'm running them tubeless) rims. Just a couple of months old, so early days yet and they've been faultless, as you'd/I'd expect them to be.
Here's a pic (taken this morning) of them on the bike:-

DSC09879.jpg

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Sapim CX-Ray spokes

Sapim CX Ray spokes

How have you both found the CX-Rays? I was originally eyeing those myself but as I won't see much benefit from the aero profile and the Lasers are similar in strength (according to Sapim website) I was advised it would be sensible to save a bit of money there and also avoid the possibility of them turning in high winds - is this something you've experienced with the flat spokes? I'm wouldn't be keen on spokes that would need regular checking and tightening.

my LBS also built me some Enve 3.4's on Chris King hubs
Not right for my needs, and way out of my budget, but still - switswoo!

I've got a set of hand built wheels with a very similar spec to what you are considering. They are Hope pro hubs (6 bolt) with Sapim spokes and H Plus Son Archetypes.

They were built for me by my LBS

Good to hear you're happy with those. I daresay they feel rather hefty in comparison with your carbon hoops - would you class them as out-an-out workhorse wheels or do you think they would be suited to quick, hilly rides too? Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them? Any idea of their total weight? (Sorry for the barrage of questions!)
I have been told the Archetype rims are ideal for my needs and have read on here they are a popular choice with discerning audaxers...I might end up going for them, but am drawn to the Pacentis, partly because of flexibility around clincher/tubeless, partly because they are disc-specific and partly because they're a bit lighter.

Personally I'd talk to your chosen builder without any preconceived ideas on components
Good advice. I have taken advice from experienced wheel-builders on here such as @Spoked Wheels and @Yellow Saddle with an open mind about the components, spoke count etc, though I was pretty set on Hope Hubs from the off, for a number of reasons (my budget, product reputation, giving business to a local firm, aesthetics - they come in orange!)

Speaking of aesthetics, I forgot to add into the original post, if anyone fancies posting pics of their hand-builts that would be great too :-)

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
My hand-built bike has hand-built wheels, made by Mog at Sven cycles, where the bike was made.
Chris King hubs with H+Son Hydra (tubeless and I'm running them tubeless) rims. Just a couple of months old, so early days yet and they've been faultless, as you'd/I'd expect them to be.

View attachment 152920

Argh - my eyes!!!

Subjective paint-job opinions aside though, that is a lovely looking bike with a fine looking set of hoops. You must be well-chuffed :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A common theme is emerging here. Everyone loves hand built wheels. You don't really get the sob stories about hand built wheels that seems to frequently crop up in relation to off the peg wheels, snapping spokes, needing regular trueing, failed freehubs, etc. The freehub issue is obviously down to component choice but the other problems are down to the skill and attention lavished by the wheel builder.
I won't make any recommendations about component choice because I am a bit blinkered in this respect (higher end Shimano hubs, DT stainless spokes and eyeletted Mavic rims) but I will say not to get too focussed on wheel set weight! It is more important to choose components that are going to last the distance, especially on a disc braked bike, because these should be the only/last set of wheels you need to buy for this bike. IME a good hand built set of wheels will feel far superior to many off the peg wheels regardless of weight although I can only base this on experience of wheels I have built myself.
Hope this helps.

betty swollocks

large member
Argh - my eyes!!!

Subjective paint-job opinions aside though, that is a lovely looking bike with a fine looking set of hoops. You must be well-chuffed :smile:

I am: thank you.

Hi,

I'm currently saving up for some new wheels, hoping to purchase in the new year, so just wondered what other CCers' experiences had been with their hand built wheels.

What components did you go for and why, who built them, how much did you spend and would you consider it money well spent?

Also, if anyone fancies giving some feedback on what I'm mulling over I'd be all ears. As most of the action they'll see will be fairly quick group and club riding with a fair few hills en route I'm after something nimble. There again, I'll also likely be using them to do the odd light tour with a large saddle bag so reliability and durability are also key requirements. Other than a few kgs of saddle bag over the rear wheel two or three times a year, all they'll be carrying is my steel, disc-braked Equilibrium road bike and all 10 stone of me.

I'm currently thinking:

Hope Pro 4 hubs
Sapim Laser spokes (24f x 24r) with brass nipples
H + Son Archetype or Pacenti SL25 rims - currently leaning towards the latter as they are disc-specific and would allow tubless if I decide to go that route in future (though no plans to at present).

Cheers,
Andy

You cannot use 24 spokes and durability and/or reliability in the same sentence.
What do you mean by nimble? Wheels are only as nimble as the rider, but even then, I cannot imagine what it is you want from the wheels.

Hope PRO is noisy and the bearings don't last long and are expensive to replace.

e-rider

crappy member
I had Hope pro 3 hubs but much prefer my current Dura Ace 9000 hubs and they are only slightly more expensive. The pro 3 bearings wear out quickly and are expensive to replace.
I like DT Swiss DB competition spokes with DT brass nipples
I build mine with 36 spokes front and rear. I wouldn't go below 32 rear and 28 front
Mavic CXP PRO rims

Last edited:
How have you both found the CX-Rays?
Fine. That is, they've not done anything I wouldn't want a spoke to do, such as break, twist, need tweaking, lose the black finish or corrode, and that's in 15,000km through two winters. I only chose them since they were described by various people as 'most durable' and my primary requirement is durability/reliability. I've not noticed any issues with side winds beyond wheels with non-bladed spokes (and I do ride when it's fairly windy).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

View attachment 152920
Man I love that.... colour scheme and all except .... I'd have had all silver finishing kit :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've had 3 sets built so far, all by David at DCR. Certainly money well very spent. Personally I'd talk to your chosen builder without any preconceived ideas on components. If they're any good then they'll probably be able to suggest some combinations you'd never have otherwise considered.

My next challenge will be to get a set made for my Slate, 650b with a Lefty hub will make that a fun challenge.

I've had 2 pairs built by David, (DCR) great service.
I was after silvery blingyness, 23mm rims so went with Archetypes with a Son Dynohub and a Velo-Orange Touring hub for the rear on an Audax build. Built for durability and comfort with 28mm tyres.
Second pair are Archeytypes on Zenith large flange fixed/Fixed hubs. Again, running 28c and looking for long term durability. I'm 90+kg and Oxfordshires roads are shocking. Also do a lot of night riding so withstanding the odd unseen pothole is a benefit.

If I was looking for your spec I'd go something like a light Pacenti Rims with plenty light spokes and hubs of your choice.

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Open pro rims, Novatec hubs, DT Swiss spokes
Built by @Spoked Wheels :okay:

Probably cost around £210 all in 32/36 spokes. Rim brakes though, not discs

Last edited:
Top Bottom