Handlebar Tape - GRRR!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have 'Seafoam' colour bar tape on my Diverge, which I thought was lovely to start with.... the issue is, the bike is prone to the chain popping off (getting it sorted soon!)

But when I then get back on the bike, I often smear black oily fingers over the mint green tape - I have found that I need to get it off quickly to then clean it better. I have tried all sorts....bleach, fairy liquid - all left to soak and use very warm water and a nail brush.....nothing seems to be really effective.

I think I just need to change the tape colour entirely - but anyone have any other ideas??

bpsmith

Veteran
Take some disposable gloves with you?

bpsmith

Veteran
I had a snapped hanger once. Made such a mess that I threw the cycling mitts away when Home. Always carry disposables now.

With regards to the current situation, have you tried degreaser or perhaps even a wet wipe. Although, you do seem to have worked hard already, with a range of products.

I would just bite the bullet now and replace with new tape.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I would work out why your chain is popping off. Front or back? Towards the frame or away?

Even if your bar tape is black you don’t want oil on your contact points. Besides ‘Seafoam’ is all the rage.

I LOVE the Seafoam colour as the rest of the bike is satin black! It seems to be the back gears which pop off, or sometimes it causes both front and back to do so.

I may just replace the tape....I have no idea how to do it! So I will try watch youtube for help....

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I LOVE the Seafoam colour as the rest of the bike is satin black! It seems to be the back gears which pop off, or sometimes it causes both front and back to do so.

I may just replace the tape....I have no idea how to do it! So I will try watch youtube for help....

Maybe it’s just technique you need to hone.

Listen: A HUGE word of warning once you suss wrapping your own bar tape. It’s very addictive, but you can make a bike look smashing. I rode with a girl who would colour match her nail varnish and bar tape. I might do the same with beads in my beard.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hehe, I am sure it is easy, it's just a case of getting it right. I use to wrap my badminton rackets, but I guess the concept is slightly different :biggrin:

The bonus of the bike being black, is that any colour will go with it! I wanted a lilac - but then I can't find that colour and I would be in the same situation in terms of dirtying the tape!

As my boyfriend rides it, and he loves green, I was thinking a dark green or go mad with orange :shy::girl:

Katherine

Guru
It's easier to keep the bar tape clean in the first place.
I always carry some disposable gloves for roadside fettling but before that, I would use a bit of plastic rubbish from the hedgerow or even a large leaf to hold the jockey wheels back and another bit to gently coax the chain back on.
Hope you can get the chain issues sorted out soon.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
It hasn't always been like it. I fell off the bike back in winter time and I think it's just knocked something out of place. Once I get paid next week, I will take it to the shop - may just need adjustment or something. But I shall get some gloves later :hyper:

BRIGHT ORANGE,... you know you want to...
deda-bar-tape-orange.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I would use a bit of plastic rubbish from the hedgerow or even a large leaf to hold the jockey wheels back and another bit to gently coax the chain back on.

Exactly what I do if needed. We're fortunate in this country that there is a large readily available supply of roadside vegetation and rubbish to use , you might get lucky and there may still be a napkin left in that McDonald's bag .;)

A handful of grass is good for cleaning your hands off too. :okay:

Top Bottom