Handlebar Tape - GRRR!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its a bike. Just ride it and stop looking at it. ^_^

Mine looks like a shed but it gets me from A to B without any problems.

Its what you do with it. Not what it looks like ^_^

It’s all about what it looks like. Baby wipes or anti bax wipes are good on bar tape, or get a colourful bike and black bar tape.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use isopropanol (IPA, aka isopropyl alcohol) and a nail brush. I find disposable gloves to be totally useless if you have a manual task that requires any force, like changing a tyre or getting a chain back on a chainring. They split within seconds. Maybe I'm just a clumsy oaf.

Swarfega hand cleanser can remove grease from most things (clothing, carpets) so it is worth a try on bar tape. Apply to dry stain, rinse off with soapy water.

Regarding your de-chaining, is this happening at the front chainrings or rear sprockets?

De-chaining st the front is often caused by misaligned front mech, ensure it is rotated parallel to the chain. Check for any unusual bends in the metal that were not there when new.
At the rear it may be due to a bent hanger, bent derailleur, work jockey wheels or the hi and lo limits of your mech are not set correctly.
First place to look is the high and low limit screws on the rear mech. The upper jockey wheel should line up with the big and small sprocket. If it overshoots, you need to tighten or loosen the appropriate screw. I can never remember which way but it is evident when you start rotating the screw, which way the limit is moving.

Top Bottom