handshake etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This really troubles me. In the old days, there was the conventional handshake, and that was about it.

But now when I watch sport, or yoof tv, the "handshake" of choice seems to be one where you lock thumbs with the hand held quite high (I don't even know if it has a name). And heaven forfend, the "fist pump"

Now in my social circles we are 100% conventional handshake. But I worry of the time I will be called upon to shake hands with some youth, footballer, media type, rapper....and I go conventional, and they go all "lock thumbs" on me. Or horror of horrors, I meet the bank manager, headmaster etc and they give me the fist pump

What do modern manners say as regards how to deal with this?

Don't do it at all, it's certainly not done DONALD TRUMP any harm.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's all a bit too macho for me,especially when they squeeze your hand as they're doing it!:blink: I tend to find it done to me in pubs,probably after they've been to the toilet without washing their hands as well!:ohmy:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... they go all "lock thumbs" on me. Or horror of horrors ... the fist pump

What do modern manners say as regards how to deal with this?

I'm tempted to head-butt those who go all freestyle with handshakes, but being of the pacifist persuasion... just calmly teach them how to do it properly, preferably as patronisingly as possible :thumbsup:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can confirm that rugby and cricket are still very much "conventional" handshake sports. Tennis is definitely down the "unconventional" road. Footy seems a bit of a mish mash (watching Spurs v Everton, the players do unconventional to each other, but conventional to the ref and the mascots).

How confusing. What's the form in other sports?

Your bank manager is unlikely to fist pump you unless he's standing at the bottom of the slope having watched you do a reverse 320 off a goofy stance and held the landing after a squirelly entry.

Ganymede

Veteran
I like shaking hands. I do think we should teach all kids how to do it properly - I taught a bunch of 6th-formers a drama class last week and went round each one improving their handshake at the end. There were some right wet fish! And the class alpha male was predictably overdoing it, which I nipped in the bud.

I've also taught my nephew how to do social cheek-kissing. I'd noticed that his way of dealing with it was to duck his head down and present his ear (bashful 16). I told him I thought kissing his ear was a bit too intimate and showed him how to do it properly by demonstrating on his dad.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I like shaking hands. I do think we should teach all kids how to do it properly - I taught a bunch of 6th-formers a drama class last week and went round each one improving their handshake at the end. There were some right wet fish! And the class alpha male was predictably overdoing it, which I nipped in the bud.

I've also taught my nephew how to do social cheek-kissing. I'd noticed that his way of dealing with it was to duck his head down and present his ear (bashful 16). I told him I thought kissing his ear was a bit too intimate and showed him how to do it properly by demonstrating on his dad.
I hope you didn't forget to teach them the comedy palm tickle using the ring finger!

Top Bottom