handshake etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
We have to shake hands at church and say "peace be with you"
Same here, I am uncomfortable doing it with strangers though

gbb

Legendary Member
Agree, but a weak handshake from a woman annoys me too!

:laugh:
In my old job (engineering buyer), meeting suppliers wa a regular thing, handshaking obligatory. I suspect women offer a weak handshake simply because its not part of their normal social interaction, so theyre (for the most part) uncomfortable with it. For that supposed reason, i never minded...but a limp handshake from a man...:stop:

Now going to goole fist pump :ohmy::laugh:

Ganymede

Veteran
In my old job (engineering buyer), meeting suppliers wa a regular thing, handshaking obligatory. I suspect women offer a weak handshake simply because its not part of their normal social interaction, so theyre (for the most part) uncomfortable with it. For that supposed reason, i never minded...but a limp handshake from a man...:stop:

Now going to goole fist pump :ohmy::laugh:

You don't have to go all the way to Goole, surely? ;)

I think you're right that women don't get taught a handshake - which is why I am always teaching young women I meet how to do a proper handshake! I take my social mentoring seriously!

Reactions: gbb

sazzaa

I'm sure it was someone at a recruitment agency who told me to always do a firm handshake, as it's a first impression thing.That was about twenty years ago though.

sazzaa

a pet hate of mine is a Firm handshake from a weak individual, nothing worse than fool who thinks a firm handshakes gives them some sort of early advantage, I've no problem letting them know I'm not impressed...

But if you're giving a handshake on a first meet, how do you know it's a weak individual? And what makes an individual a weak one anyway?!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hugs....?

:hugs:
I can do hugs...firm is always good.
I have sensitivities so a light touch is actually quite painful for me. Sounds daft but it's true!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When you shake hands (firmness is a must, but not crushing, that's just silly), also touch their forearm with your other hand... it surreptitiously puts you in control. Not that I give two hoots about that sort of claptrap :laugh:

Top Bottom