handshake etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Or, even worse, the 'air kiss', accompanied by ostentatious 'mwahhhh' sound! xx(

I only do this satirically.

sazzaa

I don't mind shaking hands, it's pretty common in the industry I work in. What annoys me is when a man gives a rubbish weak handshake. It's just wrong. Men, learn how to give firm handshakes, it's embarrassing when a woman's handshake is firmer than yours.

My pet hate for casual situations is high fives. Don't mind the thumb locking handshake or the fist pump but high fives are awful.

BAtoo

Über Member
I don't know what modern manners say but I always offer a conventional handshake with a firm (not hard) grip and look the other person in the eye, which is what I've taught my kids to do & I'm pleased to say they do it all the time with their elders.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A Scottish (great) uncle used to try and crush the hand of every male he shook hands with - he even did it to me when I was only a child!

He did it to my dad when he first met him. My dad was a tough man until old age finally got to him - he had been 2nd in the GB youth boxing championship, and worked as a carpenter on building sites for over 30 years so he was very strong. As uncle Moron was doing the hand-crushing thing, my dad pointed out to him that he had a very good left hook and was about to use it, so uncle had better pack it in NOW! :boxing:

Ganymede

Veteran
I don't mind shaking hands, it's pretty common in the industry I work in. What annoys me is when a man gives a rubbish weak handshake. It's just wrong. Men, learn how to give firm handshakes, it's embarrassing when a woman's handshake is firmer than yours.

Agree, but a weak handshake from a woman annoys me too!

A Scottish (great) uncle used to try and crush the hand of every male he shook hands with - he even did it to me when I was only a child!

He did it to my dad when he first met him. My dad was a tough man until old age finally got to him - he had been 2nd in the GB youth boxing championship, and worked on as a carpenter on building sites for over 30 years so he was very strong. As uncle Moron was doing the hand-crushing thing, my dad pointed out to him that he had a very good left hook and was about to use it, so uncle had better pack it in NOW! :boxing:

:laugh:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Your bank manager is unlikely to fist pump you unless he's standing at the bottom of the slope having watched you do a reverse 320 off a goofy stance and held the landing after a squirelly entry.

Good grief, where is the normal manners of greeting someone!!!

Top Bottom