handshake etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I prefer kissing, continental style.

Ditto, though that can be a bit of a minefield when you get the occasional woman who insists on offering her lips rather than cheek, which of course would be churlish to decline.

Ganymede

Veteran
Ditto, though that can be a bit of a minefield when you get the occasional woman who insists on offering her lips rather than cheek, which of course would be churlish to decline.

Have to say (as a female) this has happened a few times to me, chaps offering lips (Afrikaans men seem prone to it) - I'm good at veering. I think it's revolting so am happy to be churlish!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had an embarrassing handshake with my agent in Cape Town a couple of times; we're good buddies so the initial handshake turns in to a manly bearhug trapping the shaking hands low down between us while they are still moving up and down, which becomes a little, er, embarrassing. Must remember not to let that happen next time I arrive.

The worst hand-shakers are the patronising ones who proffer their fat paw with the palm down, forcing you to shake with your palm upwards. This is an extremely overbearing handshake because you end up in a position of supplication to their position of dominance. I'm told that the best way to deal with such people is to place your own hand palm down on the back of theirs, which apparently will cause them consternation but they won't be able to understand why. My boss is a very big, loud domineering Alpha male and he hakes hands with his palm down but I have't dared try it on him yet.

Ganymede

Veteran
I've had an embarrassing handshake with my agent in Cape Town a couple of times; we're good buddies so the initial handshake turns in to a manly bearhug trapping the shaking hands low down between us while they are still moving up and down, which becomes a little, er, embarrassing. Must remember not to let that happen next time I arrive.

The worst hand-shakers are the patronising ones who proffer their fat paw with the palm down, forcing you to shake with your palm upwards. This is an extremely overbearing and domineering handshake because you end up in a position of supplication to their position of dominance. I'm told that the best way to deal with such people is to place your own hand palm down on the back of theirs, which apparently will cause them consternation but they won't be able to understand why. My boss is a very big, loud domineering Alpha male and he hakes hands with his palm down but I have't dared try it on him yet.

Hilarious and true! How about next time your boss goes to shake hands, slap him on the back of the hand with the back of your hand, then the front of your hand, then go for a high five... ie invent your own homeboy handshake and then be all puzzled when he doesn't respond.

perplexed

Guru
I can confirm that rugby and cricket are still very much "conventional" handshake sports. Tennis is definitely down the "unconventional" road. Footy seems a bit of a mish mash (watching Spurs v Everton, the players do unconventional to each other, but conventional to the ref and the mascots).

How confusing. What's the form in other sports?

You have to be careful when shaking hands with a professional footballer. They're liable to fall down clutching their ankle then roll about on the floor for a bit.

sazzaa

Have you ever really punched someone ScotiaLass? Honestly?

I'm interested because I once hit a bloke in the face with my fist when he assaulted my (female) friend who was walking along next to me - I was extremely angry, but I realised afterwards that I kind of 'pulled' the punch at the last moment and could have hit him a lot harder (which didn't work out well for me). So, unless you're a trained boxer of course, it can be more difficult to punch someone than you might think.

Punching a bloke is never going to end well.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Have you ever really punched someone ScotiaLass? Honestly?

I'm interested because I once hit a bloke in the face with my fist when he assaulted my (female) friend who was walking along next to me - I was extremely angry, but I realised afterwards that I kind of 'pulled' the punch at the last moment and could have hit him a lot harder (which didn't work out well for me). So, unless you're a trained boxer of course, it can be more difficult to punch someone than you might think.
Yes I have. And I do know how strength is amplified when angry (on the receiving end as well)

ScotiaLass

Guru
Well, groping a stranger's breast while she is walking down the street chatting to a friend really wasn't acceptable (although some might regard it as a bit of harmless fun I suppose), and I didn't have time to think things through. With hindsight I should have kicked him in the balls but, like the punch, that line of attack was ruined by a decent upbringing and a reluctance to hurt people.

I'm not interested in whether I did the right thing or not, I was interested in whether any women on here have experience of actually punching someone and hurting them, because it seems to me to be something we might find quite difficult despite glibly saying it on the internet - actually that applies to a lot of stuff come to think of it.

While I was typing you have replied - that's very interesting. I found that although I was furious I was still prey to the conditioning that hitting someone in the face was wrong.
Agreed. I have never punched anyone in the face.
I have on many an occasion, defended myself. But with certain conditions it's sometimes automatic to hit out and think later, especially when you are distressed by touch or startled :sad:

Top Bottom