has any one cycled the a 82 across frpm glasgow to fort william??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Even submarines and aircraft carriers? :thumbsup:

If they were going to Faslane.... in bits... over land.... yes! :thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Is the WHW cycleable all the way?? I always had the impression it was quite rough in places, especially further north.
I have to admit that I've only walked bits of it before though.

jann71

Veteran
Is the WHW cycleable all the way?? I always had the impression it was quite rough in places, especially further north.
I have to admit that I've only walked bits of it before though.

Out of Milngavie is like canal path. Can be done by mtb with a bit of lifting and carrying in places (not done it myself).
Would like to do it with mixture of path, national cycle route and road.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Out of Milngavie is like canal path. Can be done by mtb with a bit of lifting and carrying in places (not done it myself).
Would like to do it with mixture of path, national cycle route and road.

On the cyclepath, you can use a roadbike, and you don't need to lift or carry the bike anywhere (I haven't had to do it myself either :laugh:)

That said, I see what you are saying, and it sounds like a challenge that I'll have to try one day!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I actually enjoyed my ride along the A82 in both directions and never found the traffic to be intimidating. You Scottish wusses have no idea what heavy traffic is like. Come down to Leeds and try commuting on a bike. It's something that even I'd think twice about if the route had no cycle lanes.

Look it up, it might not be the most dangerous or busy, but it is never far away from being in reports like this, meaning that it isn't just me who thinks (long suspected more like) that it isn't exactly the safest road ever!
Now, these might be old, but a road doesn't change unless upgraded:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14590493

I imagine the deaths are not any better:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7286341.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7189168.stm

There are plenty of reports and pleas for the road to be upgraded, it is well known for being dangerous.

North of Tarbert, although the cycle track has ended here and there is no alternative route, the Tarbert to Crianlarach/Tyndrum section is regarded as being particularly bad, and, well, it isn't surprising to see why if you know it!
For those who don't, it is the section that runs beside Loch Lomond, hemmed in by one side by the Loch on one side, hills and the railway on the other, there is very little space and there is nowhere to go (there have been plans to upgrade the road and make it safer, but its difficult to do much in the space provided). Combined with the fact that it is quite narrow and windey, and with it being one of Scotland's main roads, it isn't difficult to see why it is seen as dangerous.
Put a cyclist or cyclists in the middle of that and an already clogged bit of road becomes even worse! :laugh:
There is (or at was) even a section where its one way and you have to wait your turn via a set of traffic lights. A one way A road. Great!!

Maybe I am being a bit lazy, but with its reputation, I just class the whole road as being one to avoid. It is a motorway in all but name anyway (with a dangerous narrow bit in the middle), and, although it might not be the mean streets of Leeds according to Vernon, it's still no country lane, that's for sure!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

The A82 doesn't make the top five most dangerous roads in the article

The A9 and A82 have often been seen as being among Scotland's most dangerous.
Statistically, the publisher said Scotland has the most dangerous roads.
Those rated the highest risk were the A708 Moffat to Selkirk, A937 Montrose to Laurencekirk, A70 Carnwath to Balerno, A809 at Glasgow and A81 to Callander.

I imagine the deaths are not any better:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7286341.stm

It not the road that is dangerous it's the drivers

So the road killed the cyclist not the van driver?

There are plenty of reports and pleas for the road to be upgraded, it is well known for being dangerous.

Risk is relative.

Maybe I am being a bit lazy, but with its reputation, I just class the whole road as being one to avoid. It is a motorway in all but name anyway (with a dangerous narrow bit in the middle), and, although it might not be the mean streets of Leeds according to Vernon, it's still no country lane, that's for sure!!

None of Scotland's roads make the top ten in Britain's most dangerous roads list:
On average ratings across all the regions, Scotland had the most dangerous motorway and A-road network, with 12% in the higher risk categories.
But when it came to the highest risk individual roads, none of the Scottish ones made Britain's top 10.
Road Safety Foundation 2010
  • A537 Macclesfield to Buxton - Cheshire/Derbyshire
  • A5012 Pikehall to Matlock - Derbyshire
  • A621 Baslow to Totley - Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
  • A625 Calver to Sheffield - South Yorkshire
  • A54 Congleton to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire
  • A5004 Whaley Bridge to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A675 Blackburn to Preston - Lancashire
  • A61 Barnsley to Wakefield - South/West Yorkshire
  • A285 Chichester to Petworth - West Sussex

There is (or at was) even a section where its one way and you have to wait your turn via a set of traffic lights. A one way A road. Great!!

I remember that section before the 'temporary' lights went in. I think part of the cliff collapsed and obviously it isn't easy to fix or they decided it was too narrow for big lorries to pass anyhow.

I used to travel that section reasonably regularly and it was common to see big vehicles slow to crawling pace to get past each other. I've seen a few log jams too. One a lorry with a caravan on the back and the other a big caravan being towed, both stuck on a corner.

The saving grace is that you can't go to fast on it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The A82 doesn't make the top five most dangerous roads in the article

That was just one, there are others, but yes, ok, ok, I get it!

It not the road that is dangerous it's the drivers
So the road killed the cyclist not the van driver?

I was a bit tipsy when I wrote that.

None of Scotland's roads make the top ten in Britain's most dangerous roads list:

Road Safety Foundation 2010
  • A537 Macclesfield to Buxton - Cheshire/Derbyshire
  • A5012 Pikehall to Matlock - Derbyshire
  • A621 Baslow to Totley - Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
  • A625 Calver to Sheffield - South Yorkshire
  • A54 Congleton to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A581 Rufford to Chorley - Lancashire
  • A5004 Whaley Bridge to Buxton - Derbyshire
  • A675 Blackburn to Preston - Lancashire
  • A61 Barnsley to Wakefield - South/West Yorkshire
  • A285 Chichester to Petworth - West Sussex

Oooooff!! I wont be going to Derbyshire any time soon then!!

Seriously though, yes, ok, I get it, I was a bit pis*ed last night, but that said, it still isn't exactly a quaint little country lane, and it still has its dangers, be it the drivers or the road layout at places.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Thanks all...sorry its taken till now to get back in here.

In the end it was decided to stick to the plan and head out to the island of arrun. I was pleased because its a beautiful island and Lochranza in particular is my kind of place...perfect.

theloafer

Legendary Member
there's always the great glen cycleway... you get some great view along this route^_^ we used it o our lejogs in 2005 can be a little bit lumpy ....
in places and not good if on 25s 28-32 like we were ideal
http://www.greatglenbikes.com/greatglencycleroutemap.htm
lands end 053.jpg
lands end 054.jpg
lands end 059.jpg
lands end 061.jpg
lands end 094.jpg
lands end 097.jpg
lands end 098.jpg

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
nice pics mate!:becool:

...not sure about that surface though...the cycle path along the Caledonian canal was bloody horrendous bad enough . I think paths like these are the domain of 28 marathons rather than 23 duranos, although mine did hold up well tbh.

Top Bottom