Has anybody else had the dreaded lurgy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Yesterday was the 1st ride I’ve done in about 3 weeks due to flue then a chest infection, did the 5km ride from work then actually rode there and back again as I thought I’d left my phone (which I had but the lad who finished after me took it home with him to drop off at my house, so was actually pointless ride but a good excuse to go anyway).
Also managed to do junior parkrun with my daughter this morning and trotted next to her whilst she cycled yesterday.

Still not feeling 100% but it’s so nice being active again after what feels like forever!

Milzy

Guru
I’ve got strep throat. Been laid out for a few days. There is blood in the phlegm, anybody else had that?
I’ve got numerous sportives to train for & complete. It seems to be lurgy after lurgy. It’s March but feels like January.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got strep throat. Been laid out for a few days. There is blood in the phlegm, anybody else had that?
I’ve got numerous sportives to train for & complete. It seems to be lurgy after lurgy. It’s March but feels like January.

Overtraining? Not sleeping? Kids with lurgies?
Seen a Dr? If not how do you know it's bacterial not just viral?
Isn’t strep throat some pretend American thing? Probably down to all the cr@p in their food :laugh:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Strep throat is definitely an import we could do without.

I haven't read the entire thread but if I'm honest I've done okay this year, threatened a few times but come to nothing which usually means I haven't been hanging around with the usual suspects in that regard.

Milzy

Guru
Overtraining? Not sleeping? Kids with lurgies?
Seen a Dr? If not how do you know it's bacterial not just viral?
Isn’t strep throat some pretend American thing? Probably down to all the cr@p in their food :laugh:
It’s more kids with bugs. According to my fit bit I’ve improved my sleep to at least 7 hours a night. Still doesn’t seem enough. :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s more kids with bugs. According to my fit bit I’ve improved my sleep to at least 7 hours a night. Still doesn’t seem enough. :sad:
Go to bed earlier
Get rid of the little plague carriers ;)
No bugs, more sleep, win win :okay:

To most of you, think your collective selves lucky, I have been out of the saddle for an enormous amount of time whilst the bloody NHS consultants decide between themselves what is wrong with me!

It all started in mid December 2017 when I caught the flu (big time), then after 6 weeks when I still felt like death on legs I caught a very heavy chest cold and then, according to the quacks, I went down with what was described as chronic bronchial pneumonia which dragged on for months.
Then the medical boffins thought I had become a sufferer of cough induced asthma and started prescribing various inhalers, pills and potions, none of which made me feel any better, in fact several of them ended up making me feel one hell of a lot worse to the extent that several of the men & woman in white coats thought I was suffering from angina.
At a total whits end I started to undertake a lot of my own on line research and there hidden in the depths of the most obscure medical journals I discovered that the exceptionally rare side effects of 3 of the drugs I was on were the side effects I was experiencing!!!

So armed with this information I made direct contact with 3 of the consultants I was receiving treatment from (my own GP practice being next to useless) and in turn I had various further tests and scans which in turn resulted in all 3 of them agreeing that I have been suffering from Chronic Eosinophillic Bronchitis since when I have had all of my treatments changed and for the first time in ages the gorgeous Brookes saddle of mine which is attached to the even more gorgeous Shorter Rochford bike of mine is actually looking very tempting indeed!

DRM

Guru
After having the flu like lurgy, I had been fully over it for a couple of weeks, managed 4 spin classes & a 32 mile ride last Sunday, soon as I got home this Friday my throat felt sore & I’ve spent all weekend coughing & snotting constantly, guess what, it’s nicely disappearing now just in time for work.

Milzy

Guru
I’ve had to put in an emergency holiday as I don’t like going on the sick unless it’s serious long term. Bradford points are what I don’t like to collect.
It’s the longest raw throat I’ve ever had. Today will be drinking water & laying in bed.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
After 8 weeks I'm still not 100% certain I'm clear. I'm glad to say that anything I've coughed up has been clean and largely tasteless, so compared with what some have mentioned there's been nothing particularly alarming, but overall I feel as though I've aged several years. It's been a bit like a slow-moving summer thunderstorm which you never feel has completely gone away.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had to put in an emergency holiday as I don’t like going on the sick unless it’s serious long term. Bradford points are what I don’t like to collect.
It’s the longest raw throat I’ve ever had. Today will be drinking water & laying in bed.
Try gargling aspirin and take paracetamol for pain. Sucking a boiled sweet can be soothing too

What are Bradford points?

Top Bottom