Has fixed spoilt your enjoyment of freewheeling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Since I started riding fixed I've found that when I occasionally ride a freewheel-equipped bike, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. There are several things that I don't like:

-the sense of disconnection
-the reduced control at very low speeds, or at least the perception thereof
-the various clatterings from the drive train and the clicking of the freewheel
-the extra work going up gentle hills - my average speed feels slower when climbing

Today I bought a nice Peugeot 531 geared road bike and although descending was rather nice (no mad spinning) I just felt like something was missing. Sigh...

Anyone else?

Matthew

zimzum42

Legendary Member
yes, me!

zzpza

not really. i see my fixie as helping me ride further and faster when i'm on my geared bike. :laugh:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yeh, i go out on my geared bike and it bores me abit, just not as challenging as my fixed, and just dont get the same feel.
Decending fast with people on geared bikes feels nicer, how you can tuck down and freewheel, and really lean into the courners without spinning is nice.
Ive got a while to wait till my fixed is done though, should be done in the half term i think:smile:
Not rode fixed for a few weeks now, i miss it:sad:

Franstheman

I started riding fixed last year after a component failure on my geared bike. Riding fixed was a winter occupation for many club riders in the dim and distant passed.
What a joy it was to be doing it again.
There is something about riding fixed that I cannot put my fingure on. I think it is something to do with whilst you are pushing the pedals round and in turn, turning the wheel there is a reciprocal effect from the momentum from the rear wheel turning the pedals around, either one feeding the other.
I bet there is someone out there who can give a better technical explaination than my effort.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Franstheman said:
There is something about riding fixed that I cannot put my fingure on. I think it is something to do with whilst you are pushing the pedals round and in turn, turning the wheel there is a reciprocal effect from the momentum from the rear wheel turning the pedals around, either one feeding the other.
I haven't ridden fixed, but I ride a singlespeed bike when I'm in the midlands. I quite enjoy the simplicity of that bike, but I find it a pain getting the pedals through the deadspots in the stroke when climbing anything steeper than about 8%. I think that fixed would really help because of that momentum thing you mentioned. I just need to get each pedal over the top of its stroke then I can get my weight down on it.

Franstheman

ColinJ said:
I haven't ridden fixed, but I ride a singlespeed bike when I'm in the midlands. I quite enjoy the simplicity of that bike, but I find it a pain getting the pedals through the deadspots in the stroke when climbing anything steeper than about 8%. I think that fixed would really help because of that momentum thing you mentioned. I just need to get each pedal over the top of its stroke then I can get my weight down on it.
I'm pretty sure your right, fixed helps you through the dead spots.
Franstheman

emab

I can't imagine going back to gears at all, it would be like using my bike as a tool to get to places. Not something of everlasting fun and challenge.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

I wonder if there's a cure? At some point in the not too distant future I'm hoping to get a newer road bike (carbon perhaps :blush:) with a decent groupset. Is it possible that good quality modern shifters (105 STIs for example) might improve the geared experience, and reduce 'clatteriness'? I've just got so used to the relative silence of the fixed.

Matthew

yello

I do prefer fixed but I don't think it's not better or worse than geared over all - just different.

There have been occasions where I've been pleased I'm not on fixed. Like when I'm tired and having to slog up a climb, and I know I wouldn't have the strength for fixed. Or conversely on a downhill and I can take a short rest.

They are different and I appreciate each for their own reasons... but there is something about riding fixed that, as I say, I prefer. :blush:

Top Bottom