Have you been directly affected by this rain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've heard them pronounce Whalley 'Wally' before.:rolleyes:
That's a bit ambiguous... Do you mean that it sounds something like 'woll-ee' rather than 'war-lee'?

I've heard some interesting versions of 'Mytholmroyd' e.g 'Myth-em-roe-id'! :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's a bit ambiguous... Do you mean that it sounds something like 'woll-ee' rather than 'war-lee'?

I've heard some interesting versions of 'Mytholmroyd' e.g 'Myth-em-roe-id'! :smile:
No,it was pronounced like when folk used to say 'What a wally'. One presenter years ago used to pronounce Hyndburn (the borough of,for those who don't know) as 'Hindburn',like the Hindenburg zeppelin.:smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Break 'Todmorden' down into sounds: [TOD] + [MUH] + [DUHN] - say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them.
My sisters tend to say 'Tod-more-den'. I've given up explaining.

Some people insist on spelling my name as 'Collin' but at least that is better than one wag who kept calling me 'Colon' until I finally gave way and asked him why...

"Because you are full of sh*t, mate!"

D'oh! :banghead:

'What a wally'.
Which is what I meant by 'woll-ee'. Now I'd have to ask how you pronounce 'wally' as in 'what a wally'! :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member

New to me
migh- zhum –royd, with the emphasis on the first and third syllables.

classic33

Leg End Member

Some people insist on spelling my name as 'Collin' but at least that is better than one wag who kept calling me 'Colon' until I finally gave way and asked him why...

Dropped yerssen in there.

Sirens still quiet down those parts?

ColinJ

Dropped yerssen in there.

Sirens still quiet down those parts?
No sign of trouble - yet! There might be some minor flooding tomorrow by the look of the latest forecast...

classic33

Leg End Member
No sign of trouble - yet! There might be some minor flooding tomorrow by the look of the latest forecast...

View attachment 569753
Hopefully not a repeat of last year.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Which is what I meant by 'woll-ee'. Now I'd have to ask how you pronounce 'wally' as in 'what a wally'! :wacko:

Maybe you're pronouncing it in your southern/slightly bordering on you know what county accent.:whistle:

ColinJ

Maybe you're pronouncing it in your southern/slightly bordering on you know what county :whistle: accent.🤔
Most people haven't got a clue where I come from when they hear me speak. My sisters think that I have picked up an ever-so-slight northern accent, whereas I think they almost sound like Brummies now! (We are from the Coventry area.)

johnblack

Über Member
I need to re-felt the shed, it was a bit wet in there when I got the mountain bike out. Otherwise ok, we don't flood, but there will be lots of closed roads due to run off being too much for the ditches and streams.

Top Bottom