Have you ever regretted selling a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't usually replace bikes, just update the various parts. So, If I buy a new frame, I'll swap the parts on to it, then they get updated as required. My randonneur/fast touring bike is on, I think, its fourth frame. It's always been a nice ride, but seems to be getting better with age.

Sounds like Trigger’s bike. ^_^

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The two bikes I wish I had kept was the Giant Defy Carbon ( the red and white one with cable disc) and a Trek Madone 5.2 which I have offered to buy back should he ever wanted to sell it.

Now then. The Trek Madone 5.2. I never owned that bike but I did test ride it, along with about five others over a couple of days. That is one bike I regret not buying, a lovely machine. I was being a bit tight and couldn’t bring myself to spend the money on it. I should have. I ended up buying the Madone 3.5 also a lovely bike, same frame I think but cheaper components, I still have it, it’s my main bike and I have had lots of adventures on it, but I preferred the colour of the 5.2., the ride just seemed nicer.

Jody

Stubborn git
I regret selling my Scott Neva back in the day as it rode so well for what it was. An opportunity arose to buy it back off the friend I sold it to, so jumped at the chance and bought it. However I realised after the purchase that my judgement had been clouded by some rose tinted glasses. MTB's have moved on so much since that point with geometry, weight, suspension advances etc that it feels like a relic. Its now sat doing nothing and I am at a loss as to what to do with it.

Somethings are best left in the past with fond memories.

Neva,%20011.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I regret selling my Scott Neva back in the day as it rode so well for what it was. An opportunity arose to buy it back off the friend I sold it to, so jumped at the chance and bought it. However I realised after the purchase that my judgement had been clouded by some rose tinted glasses. MTB's have moved on so much since that point with geometry, weight, suspension advances etc that it feels like a relic. Its now sat doing nothing and I am at a loss as to what to do with it.

Somethings are best left in the past with fond memories.

Neva,%20011.jpg
Was out on my 1996 purchased GT hardtail MTB yesterday on a ride including some mahoosive rock garden descents. It was brill.

Sell it? NEVER.

Boon 51

Veteran
Now then. The Trek Madone 5.2. I never owned that bike but I did test ride it, along with about five others over a couple of days. That is one bike I regret not buying, a lovely machine. I was being a bit tight and couldn’t bring myself to spend the money on it. I should have. I ended up buying the Madone 3.5 also a lovely bike, same frame I think but cheaper components, I still have it, it’s my main bike and I have had lots of adventures on it, but I preferred the colour of the 5.2., the ride just seemed nicer.

When I lived in Spain I use to go to the Trek shop in Malaga and the shop was the sole agent for Trek southern Spain. I was looking round the shop at the new Madone 5.2 but it was too dear but Alexandro the owner said he has one in the back room I might like and it was there demo bike. The new one at the time was 3600 euros and he said I could have this demo bike with new tyres, bar tape, chain etc etc as new for 1800 euros. Now standing next to me was this Spanish guy who said lets have a ride out for an hour as he wanted to try the new Emonda out. So out we went and he was so bloody fast it was stupid and I'm no slouch.
Anyway when we got back to the bike shop we all had a laugh and I said to Alexandro bloody hell hes good and he said don't you know who that is and I said no.. oh thats Evan Basso who won the TDF and now rides as number two to Contador.. So after I came round I bought the Madone 5.2 for 1800 euros about £1500.. What a day that was.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For some reason I hark back most to my Kona Explosif, which IIRC was Tange steel. I think it must be because it rode so nicely. I replaced it with a titanium Hei Hei, which was good but just didn't have the same feel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yebbut we had to pick a line and use the brakes and a fair bit of skillful unweighting and avoidance steering to get down hills, unlike today's riders who just blast over everything at frightening speeds.

Salar

A fish out of water
Yebbut we had to pick a line and use the brakes and a fair bit of skillful unweighting and avoidance steering to get down hills, unlike today's riders who just blast over everything at frightening speeds.

Yes, totally agree.:thumbsup: Just look at how slender the forks are on the Kona.

Jody

Stubborn git
Sell it? NEVER.

There lies the problem. I don't want to sell it but will have to plough to much into it to make it viable again. I don't want to break it but the value is very little as a complete bike. It's just not as nice to ride as I remember.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I used to have a Peugeot 27' racer (see similar picture below) which I bought in the early 1980s and used to ride it from Brightlingsea to Wivenhoe (Essex) every day for a year at University. I loved that bike. I went through a stage where I had not used it for several years so I gave to somebody who needed it. I later found it rusting/abandoned round the back of the place that they used to work.

hqdefault.jpg

That was a great bike. It had 10 speed analogue gears on the lower part of the frame and suicide brakes. Similar to one of the earlier posters if I rode it today I would probably find drawbacks with it but I remember it fondly none the less.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

It's like watching someone tear down a rocky track in a modern 4 x 4 full of electronic traction aid gizmos and then watch someone else drive the same route in a 1950's Land Rover with drum brakes and cart springs. The modern one is a lot faster but just requires a heavy right foot. The other involves a lot more skill but is ultimately not as quick.

I "sold" my old specialized Allez to my brother 2 years ago. He complained while on a ride with me that he couldn't freewheel as long as me, which I put down to having a better bike. The bike in perfect condition when he got it. The reason sold is in quotation marks is because he never paid me! Got it back to service it and well... Look. Pic don't do it justice.

Had to completely strip the bike down to frame to get some working order out of it again.

Yes I regret him having the bike

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom