Have you ever regretted selling a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes. My 1996 Raleigh Max cromo III. Last of the really good Nottingham frames, and it was easily the measure of my 1996 cromo Alpinestars, which I still have.

Why not replace it with a secondhand one if you liked it that much? 1990's rigid MTB's are currently the Cinderellas of the cycling world, and the decent quality ones are almost as unloved as the anonymous budget hi-tensile masses.
I've got a field gate sized 1991 Raleigh Moonrun with a 501 frame & Biopace chainset that I've since fitted with puncture-resistant Schwalbes in place of MTB knobblys. It's like a Tourer frame on steroids and the wheels are completely unaffected by urban potholes.
RALEIGH UNKNOWN MTB (3).jpg

I regret selling almost every one, but I funded my habit by selling bikes to fund the next one. So mustn't grumble.

I've had some gems. If I won the lottery and could somehow track them down to buy them back - the first ones I'd look for would be:

Mike Burrows Windcheetah #002
2012 Brompton M3 Titanium
Rocky Mountain Team Scandium
Pace RC100
Rocky Mountain Altitude
Moulton Speed Six
Saracen Conquest
1939 Hetchins
Colnago
Claude Butler Dalesman
1952 Claude Butler Shortbase tandem
Kona Explosif
Raleigh Chopper 5 speed
Shogun Kaze Lo Pro

postman

Legendary Member
Yes a Dawes Super Galaxy,bought from Spa Cycles,64cm frame.It was beautiful but silly me i wanted to go faster, so i bought a slinkier looking bike.now i wish i had kept it,and got shut of the Giant Rincon instead.The Dawes went darn to Larndan.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not sold as such but I had a Raleigh Amazon MTB back in the early 90s that I simply stopped riding when I passed my driving test.
Proper Nottingham bike, fantastic dark green metallic paint with gold flake in that really lit up when the sun hit it, Shimano GS100 gears and (in the time I had it) pretty much bulletproof.
I could do the 6 and a bit miles to work on it far quicker than the bus (and usually quicker than I could do it by car once I'd passed my test)

Eventually it made it's way to my younger brother and as things do vanished into the mists of time.

I do have a look for one every now and then on ebay and the like but they're either at the wrong end of the country or knackered. Plus I've got nowhere to keep a fifth bike...:rolleyes:

Funnily enough it's a year since I sold my Boardman Road Comp - I wouldn't say I regret selling it, but I did get a pang of "maybe I should have kept it..." when the pics popped up in my timeline earlier in the week.

DRM

Guru
Why not replace it with a secondhand one if you liked it that much? 1990's rigid MTB's are currently the Cinderellas of the cycling world, and the decent quality ones are almost as unloved as the anonymous budget hi-tensile masses.
I've got a field gate sized 1991 Raleigh Moonrun with a 501 frame & Biopace chainset that I've since fitted with puncture-resistant Schwalbes in place of MTB knobblys. It's like a Tourer frame on steroids and the wheels are completely unaffected by urban potholes. View attachment 447565
You’ve just posted a picture of what was being discussed on the “Possible daft idea thread” it’s identical to that one.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not sold as such but I had a Raleigh Amazon MTB back in the early 90s that I simply stopped riding when I passed my driving test.
Proper Nottingham bike, fantastic dark green metallic paint with gold flake in that really lit up when the sun hit it, Shimano GS100 gears and (in the time I had it) pretty much bulletproof..

I like them myself. A decent looking one sold quite near me last year for only about twenty five quid, but luckily I managed to resist the urge to hit the button. IIRC, they used Reynolds "K2" cro-moly tubing, some sort of Raleigh-only variant of 501 with some flutes inside the tubing.

I don't regret selling my old teenage years Raleigh and BSA racers, for the simple reason that I had outgrown them by then and if I still had them now they would simply be too small to ride in comfort. I've never actually sold any bike I've owned as an adult.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I regret selling almost every one, but I funded my habit by selling bikes to fund the next one. So mustn't grumble.

I've had some gems. If I won the lottery and could somehow track them down to buy them back - the first ones I'd look for would be:

Pace RC100
Rocky Mountain Altitude
Moulton Speed Six
Saracen Conquest
1939 Hetchins
Colnago
Claude Butler Dalesman
Kona Explosif
Raleigh Chopper 5 speed
Shogun Kaze Lo Pro

I hate you !! :laugh: Pace RC100, a Colnago, Kona.... I had a Chopper though - rode it to bits, but crap handling.

Pace RC100
Rocky Mountain Altitude
Moulton Speed Six
Saracen Conquest
1939 Hetchins
Colnago
Claude Butler Dalesman
Kona Explosif
Raleigh Chopper 5 speed
Shogun Kaze Lo Pro

Any photos of the Hetchins... :hyper:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I always regretted swapping my Kona Caldera frame for an Azonic DS-1 that was too small and, it turns out, slightly bent... So much so in fact that I bought an identical one last year for my collection :okay::laugh:

matth411

Veteran
I "sold" my old specialized Allez to my brother 2 years ago. He complained while on a ride with me that he couldn't freewheel as long as me, which I put down to having a better bike. The bike in perfect condition when he got it. The reason sold is in quotation marks is because he never paid me! Got it back to service it and well... Look. Pic don't do it justice.

Had to completely strip the bike down to frame to get some working order out of it again.

Yes I regret him having the bike

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1547800305599.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800305599.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 28
  • FB_IMG_1547800271388.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800271388.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 35
  • FB_IMG_1547800282683.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800282683.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 39
  • FB_IMG_1547800285785.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800285785.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 34
  • FB_IMG_1547800275701.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800275701.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 35
  • FB_IMG_1547800279412.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547800279412.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 34

Boon 51

Veteran
The two bikes I wish I had kept was the Giant Defy Carbon ( the red and white one with cable disc) and a Trek Madone 5.2 which I have offered to buy back should he ever wanted to sell it.

Top Bottom