Have you ever regretted selling a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not exactly. I'd do the same again, and for the same reasons, but if money and space had not been options I would definitely have kept my hands on a Dawes 653-frame I'd had powder coated blue and converted to fixed. That bike flew! But a tad too big for me. T'other was a Vitus 979, the spit of this:

vitus-979-6066_1.jpg

Again, lovely bike. But once I'd bought a Look carbon for events there was really no point keeping it.

nickAKA

Über Member
Silver & blue Ultra Burner; didn't sell it, skipped it... It had been in 'storage' in work for donkeys years, was rust free, araya rims in decent order, so when we moved premises I rather flippantly just threw it in the skip. This was pre-ebay and I had no idea it retained any value whatsover. Regretted it ever since, feel my pain.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I have never sold a bike.
most of my bikes were rescued from skips anyway especially before eBay. back then people just chucked them out. I still get the odd one though, the last one an Apollo MTB (bso) I fixed it then gave it away to a local lad who had just had his commuter stolen.
I normally ride them until they are worn then something else turns up and i strip the parts and build another out of both.
I usually leave the remaining scrap out for the bloke who patrols for recycling metal.

Last edited:
I gave some dude a 1992 Miyata hybrid bike. I asked him to drive us and some buddies on a fun ride in Mexico (Rosarito to Ensenada). I told him I would pay him but instead he asked for the bike rather than cash. It was a few years old already so no problem and we had 11 bikes in our stable.

6 months later I was sorry I let him take the bike and he really was a lousy driver anyway! :laugh:

Zipp2001

Veteran
I have given away most of my bikes after the race season back when I raced. I did sell one and it was a Lightspeed Blade I used for TT events once I stopped racing. Every now and then I wish I had kept it.

I have given away most of my bikes after the race season back when I raced. I did sell one and it was a Lightspeed Blade I used for TT events once I stopped racing. Every now and then I wish I had kept it.

Oh oh oh oh! I got one!

We bought a 1996 Bianchi Premio. A bit too large for Gina and too small for me. We didn't know too much when we bought it as far as sizing.

So years later we run into a larger cyclist. She wanted to road cycle but only had a cruiser. I told her I would give it to her if she were serious about cycling ($700 bike with upgrades). She said yes, it was a sweet steel lugged bike. One of the last made in Italy.

Happy she was motivated but not long after she put ape hangers on the bike and did all kinds of weird stuff to it. Heartbreaking!

Top Bottom