Have you ever regretted selling a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have , two of them funnily enough both Cannondale.

My first MTB and a road bike.

0E08AF30-F355-47E5-A119-C02A2CC7721F.jpeg

The MTB got me back into cycling after a long gap, a Jekyll 2000. Mad colours.
5E656E39-0E0C-43DB-83BF-3EBE074DA287.jpeg

CAAD 9, did my first Sportives on this, lovely lovely bike.

What bikes do wish you kept?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My Mk II Chopper. OK, technically my dad sold it and I had no choice,

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I get too attached to them, so I've only ever sold one:blush:. And didn't regret it.

Awesome Jekyll, I had same model with the Lefty fork, great frame. Mine tore in half at the bottom bracket while driving down a 4 lane road in London, which was pretty scary. Lifetime warranty on those frames though so I got a replacement 2005 frame the last year they made that model . I still have it, its up on bricks and needs work, but it will ride again. I replaced the Lefty with some Fox 32 Vanilla's and it was a fantastic all terrain bike.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My Mk II Chopper. OK, technically my dad sold it and I had no choice,

I always wanted one of them....until last month when I discovered my brother had bought one recently, I had a little ride on it and thought it was shite. So I’m glad now I bought a Kingpin.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I get too attached to them, so I've only ever sold one:blush:. And didn't regret it.

Awesome Jekyll, I had same model with the Lefty fork, great frame. Mine tore in half at the bottom bracket while driving down a 4 lane road in London, which was pretty scary. Lifetime warranty on those frames though so I got a replacement 2005 frame the last year they made that model . I still have it, its up on bricks and needs work, but it will ride again. I replaced the Lefty with some Fox 32 Vanilla's and it was a fantastic all terrain bike.

Mine fell off the back of my car once as well ( a Smart car ) just broke the handlebar.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes. My 1996 Raleigh Max cromo III. Last of the really good Nottingham frames, and it was easily the measure of my 1996 cromo Alpinestars, which I still have. At the time I was post divorce and had scraped enough together to buy a small cottage without a mortgage, and only had space for 2 bikes so the Raleigh went. I regret that badly.

About 10 years ago, shortly after dad passed away and well before I got back into cycling, I desperately needed space in my garage, so I took about half a dozen assorted bikes to the local recycling centre. Most of these bikes were dad's skip finds (shoppers, tatty junior bikes), but one was a bike I'd been given by a family friend who lived in Belgium.

OK, it was a hand-me-down from her great nephew, but since that lad only ever had the best, it was a lovely bike; junior, steel frame but pretty light despite that, quite a relaxed geometry, level top bar, 650 wheels, single speed, flat bars. No idea who made it or what exactly it might have been as the head badge had been removed and the frame painted over in a turquoise enamel that nothing seemed to be able to shift.

Such a nice bike to ride and I really regret getting rid of it to this day, even though I didn't have much of an option at the time. :cry: I now wish I'd kept it over the MTB that I *did* decide to keep.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't usually replace bikes, just update the various parts. So, If I buy a new frame, I'll swap the parts on to it, then they get updated as required. My randonneur/fast touring bike is on, I think, its fourth frame. It's always been a nice ride, but seems to be getting better with age.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In 2002 I sold my 1980's Raleigh steel racing bike. I had been riding mountain bikes since 1995 and did not return to road bikes till 2010. Probably be a pain for parts now but would have probably loved being back in it these days. It's the bike I got when I went to University.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Damn, why did you have to remind me :sad:

The trusty old companion that have always regretted parting with wasn't even worth much money but, it was usually the one that I always seemed to favour over my more expensive 'best' bike at the time. I used to enter my garage with the intention of grabbing the Pedigree and usually always left on the Mongrel.

It was built-up using a Ribble Winter frame (the blue one you see everywhere but with no decals for some reason), Mavic Wheels, Flat Carbon Bars, a 9Spd Tiagra Rear mech, a 52t/42t chain-set and a mix of Bontrager/FSA and Selle Italia for the rest.

It was nothing special to look at but was fast and comfortable.

Top Bottom