Have you ever regretted selling a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I "sold" my old specialized Allez to my brother 2 years ago...…. The bike in perfect condition when he got it. The reason sold is in quotation marks is because he never paid me! Got it back to service it and well... Look. Pic don't do it justice.

No-one would get away with pulling a stunt like that on me - family member or not. I'd take the bike back and keep it until I was paid the money I was owed. Taking liberties like that is a complete no-no in my book. Totally out of order. I'd disown someone for a trick like that. A deal is a deal. If you owe someone money, you pay them, no excuses.

jay clock

Massive member
I had a 2008 (?) approx Carrera Subway 1. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?o=2sf&pic_id=532896&size=large&v=1 I replaced the wheels, drivetrain and generally upgraded. Lovely looking bike. Ideal as a do anything bike. Sold it to a friend who then had it nicked. I am tempted to dig one the same off of the Ebay. Although I think my bro has the same model almost unused in his garage, but with disc brakes....Mmm that would work

Last edited:

matth411

Veteran
No-one would get away with pulling a stunt like that on me - family member or not. I'd take the bike back and keep it until I was paid the money I was owed. Taking liberties like that is a complete no-no in my book. Totally out of order. I'd disown someone for a trick like that. A deal is a deal. If you owe someone money, you pay them, no excuses.

I posted it into a group on Facebook and was told to get a new brother! I have done what I can do to it, so all it needs now is ... Still a lot. Every bolt needs replacing, I sourced a lot of stuff off an old hybrid in the loft so it didn't cost me anything but time. Selling it back to same brother but through his partner who will make sure money reaches me and not his weed dealer!

tyred

Legendary Member
A 1930s Claus Butler mixte with Sturmy gears. Bought for peanuts at a stall at a vintage rally from someone who obviously didn't know what he was selling.

Rare, different and beautiful and amazing to ride but too small for me so I sold it. Stupid idea.

I bought a Cinelli fixie track bike off an ex racer back around 1963 and used it to cycle around 16 miles or so each day, there and back, to go training for my kayak racing.
I used to use the ride as hard as I could as part of the training. It used to really bat along and just had the one brake attached to make it legal.
The first time I rode it was the first time I'd ridden a fixie and I remember coming up to Hampton Court and stopping pedaling... and getting launched upwards and then dumped down hard on the saddle... not a mistake to make twice... ouch!
I eventually sold it, when motorised transport came into my life, to a friend for not much money and he used it on his daily work commute.
I reckon it would be worth a few pounds now

Aargh - there’ve been a few. A couple from relatively recently are a Pinarello Treviso and my old Raleigh Dynatech 300: both fabulous fun bikes to ride, but the sales of which were to fund other projects.

Gawd I wish I had some patience! :sad:

42515036705_72f2b0daa3_z.jpg

43371977952_db351ac439_z.jpg

Edit - just read my own comment under the Dynatech pic on Flickr: "Bloody loved this bike - would buy it back in a heartbeat!"

Boon 51

Veteran
Just found my old Trek Domane 5.2.
Trek 5.2 Madone 2.jpg

Wish I still had this one..

I sold a "friend of a friend" the Raleigh Sirocco that was the first bike I built from scratch when I started getting into steelies again.
He offered it back to me the other day - I'm very tempted but got no room currently
imag0128_zpsuxtioczj-jpg.jpg

I've got a feeling I updated it to 7 speed brake shifters at some point. I bet it won't look that tidy now!

In my late teens and early 20s I had a handbuilt racing bike, a Harry Rensch Champion du Monde. It wasn't handbuilt for me but for my neighbour who was almost exactly my size. I loved that bike and rode it a lot for several years then I started playing a lot of other sports and got married so was time short and the bike got stored in the garage unused for almost 30 years. I thought I had stopped cycling for ever so sold it, for quite a lot of money, then about 10 years later returned to cycling.

I didn't realise what a gem I gave up.

P.s. in my youthful stupidity I even binned the initial Gnutti chainset it had for a modern Shimano alloy one. :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom