Have you joined because you want to lose weight and get fit in the New Year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Every year we get a little surge in new members after the Christmas and New Year festivities; people who have pledged to get fit and lose weight and who look to cycling as a low impact way of doing it.

If that's you then please post here to say hello, tell us what brought you to CycleChat and let us know what your goals are.

There's plenty of people here willing to give you bike and clothing advice, help you get started and get those important first few miles under your belt, and keep you going with lots of health, training and fitness advice and encouragement into February, March and beyond (the spring and summer months are well worth the hard work of winter if you can keep plugging away!).

And don't worry about whether your questions have been asked before or whether you think it might be a stupid thing to ask - go ahead, ask - you've got nothing to lose and you might just learn a thing or two to make your new cycling bug that bit more fun and interesting.

Good luck and we hope you like it here enough to stick around and join our growing little community of cyclists, and keep coming back to update us with your progress. :thumbsup:

As to losing weight, feel free to join in the discussion below and add your story, struggles and progress.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You've read my mind Shaun. I was just thinking we are due a rush of 'what bike' questions. I think the best advice I can give is don't rush, but don't put it off. Listen to the advice, try as many bikes as you can and don't get fooled into buying a bike that the salesman wants to shift or a recommendation that is actually the bike the recommender wants rather than a bike that will be useful and suitable for you and your circumstances. Good luck and enjoy yourself, it doesn't have to, and shouldn't, be torture. :hello:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a section called CycleChat and Informal Rides where we arrange to meet up with fellow CycleChatters and, er, ride! I Like Skol (posted above) just organised one for riders in NW England which took place on New Years Day. I organised a lot of rides myself until my health let me down, and have ridden with Skol a few times. If you want to meet some new cycling pals, keep an eye on CaIR for rides in your area, or even organise one yourself!

L14M

Über Member
Yep, i started just before christmas and I agree with what has been said above :biggrin:
From a newbie's pov, a few things i think you should look into is:
Routes - when you can't get out plan your next route and don't over do it, think small, something like a 5 mile loop is great as if you get tired, feel sick etc your not too far from home. If you have something like a garmin you can race yourself too!
Halfords or "hellfords" may be looked down apon because of the people that work there NOT THE BIKES, ride a bike, and if you think its for you get it! You could get what everybody likes but you just may not like it!
Lastly have fun, don't make it a chore! Perhaps play a game when riding or like me yesterday think of random stuff. Just stay safe and keep a eye on the road!
Liam

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
On Skolly's New Year Ride we had a new faces riding with us and I think they had a good time even though the weather tried it's damn best to spoil the fun. All new faces will be made welcome and as ever, no one is left behind or made to feel like they are holding anyone up, it is not a race but a fun and social way to ride with fellow cyclists.................plus we eat nice food and cake ! ........I still owe Skolly a feed from two years back :whistle::birthday:

Veganpower

Hello,

I want to get fit and I hope the weight will drop off in the process. My goal is to run the Reading Half in under 2 hours. Long term I would like to do it in less than 1.30. I came to cycling by recommendation as its low impact. I can't run too many miles without hurting myself.

I'm currently deciding on what bike to get. I suspect it will be a Triban 5a, I originally went for a Triban 3 but it was end of line and didn't have the right size for me. I had a little go on the T5 to test the frame size and loved it, I'm going back today.:hyper::hyper:

I think this site was the first google result for cycle forum but lots of friendly people here too.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Hi @Veganpower , I started running before cycling, then last year ran 3 halves inbetween 2000 miles on the bike. Bike will help lose weight, but running needs the hours on the road to get that kind of pace in a race.

Good luck tho, and if it wanna bounce anything off me re running/ cycling mix then get in touch. I'm aiming fir my first sub 2 hours this year too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hello,

I want to get fit and I hope the weight will drop off in the process. My goal is to run the Reading Half in under 2 hours. Long term I would like to do it in less than 1.30. I came to cycling by recommendation as its low impact. I can't run too many miles without hurting myself.
Hi Vp!

It is difficult to get 'weight to drop off' just through exercise. You would have to be riding about 100 miles to lose a single pound of fat, but many of us are having success losing weight through cycling in conjunction with intermittent fasting. Good luck!
I think this site was the first google result for cycle forum ...
Number one on Google UK for 'cycling forum', 'cycle forum' and 'cyclist forum' plus number two for 'bicycle forum' - well done Shaun, your hard work is paying off!

Veganpower

Sitting beside me is a beautiful Triban 5a. I probably should have done more research but hey, I really like it. Not too sure Decathlon did a good job on the gears though.

Hi @Veganpower , I started running before cycling, then last year ran 3 halves inbetween 2000 miles on the bike. Bike will help lose weight, but running needs the hours on the road to get that kind of pace in a race.

Good luck tho, and if it wanna bounce anything off me re running/ cycling mix then get in touch. I'm aiming fir my first sub 2 hours this year too.

Thanks Louch I'll remember that. About 6/7 years ago I did Reading in 2.06, I use to run a lot but I got injured and I was out for months, sometimes I would run 3 times a day. I'm hoping a combination of cycling and running will do me right.

Thanks @ColinJ , I'm trying the 80 10 10 lifestyle so loads of fresh fruit. It seems to suit me but I'll remember that.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sitting beside me is a beautiful Triban 5a. I probably should have done more research but hey, I really like it. Not too sure Decathlon did a good job on the gears though.
Judging by the threads on it a Triban 5a will be a good choice. Not surprised that you couldn't get the old 3 - strictly speaking it was withdrawn at the end of 2012.:ohmy:

What problems are you having with the gears? It's a highly specced bike for the money, so probably just set up. Someone on here may be able to advise.

Last edited:
Remember that YouTube is your friend as well for all matters of fettling. This is a great video for de-mystifying gear set up.

View: http://youtu.be/SkzvfCaIbyQ

For the larger cyclist starting off I can't think of a better read than our own @gb155's motivational story HERE.

@smokeysmoo great video, thanks. I'll take a look at that blog.
hi VP and welcome, not been a member long myself but there are soooo many helpful folk on here you,ll soon be online most days ( i am). Ask what you want as someone will ALWAYS have an answer.As for the weight lose side of it, yes it worked for me to a degree but i was seriously dieting also .Dropped around 2 stone since i started and feel massively better for it and love getting out on the bike. Go for it!!!

Top Bottom