Have you joined because you want to lose weight and get fit in the New Year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin McNeely

I'm working next Saturday, damn shift rota. Sounds like a good ride tho

Martin McNeely

Thanks

Roachy

Hey all,
I joined up looking for advice on what I'll need to start commuting to work, ideally to save some cash but also to get fit.

I've been looking at bikes (Merida crossway 300 looks favourite atm) and routes to get there (about 8 miles ish - something to build up to).
Just from the test ride at the shop I reckon I'll need padded shorts, some gloves a mudguard or two, a set of lights, a lock and a helmet oh and somewhere to put work clothes/laptop. All things to build up to!!

Bellyboarder

I joined up to compare cycling notes and educate myself on bike maintenance, but also to get inspired to take to the saddle much more.

I've been cross-town commute cycling most of my life on typical pink flowery lady bikes with lots of shopping baskets on. Then we moved to Cornwall and I did a once a week 7 mile commute that was a lot more challenging (i.e. lots of hilly bits and lots of wind!) and suddenly I started to drop a little weight and feel fitter. Then Hubby encouraged me to try his Trek, which was a lot lighter and better specced than my Raleigh and I was so much happier on it. So last week I picked up a nice Trek 7.2 FX WSD from the LBS and am starting to put it through it's paces. So far I'm loving it! The evil hills here don't faze me much; I got up them on the sit-up-and-beg, the Trek should make it a little easier at least. (not saying I won't be pulling funny faces near the top though!)

Having put on a few pounds over Xmas/New Year for various reasons and having so much round here in terms of cycle trails and fabulous scenery, I'd be mad not to use the bike a lot more to regain my fitness levels. (And I'm 60 so need to keep active LOL)

Hubby is starting to train for a 310 mile charity ride, London-Lands End in 24 hours :wacko: which will happen in June, so I'll be cycling part of his training with him.

Such fun!

I'm not new to cycling, but have never got serious about it, and I need to!
I can't run, the impact is too high for my much-surgeoned spine, so I really need to get going on this. Eyeball surgery, for which I'm heading up to Moorfields in London as I type, will wipe out another couple of weeks. But after that, there are no excuses! Or even good reasons!
The first proper ride I want to do is to get dropped off at Marsh Mills in Plymouth, then cycle back to Tavistock. Hard, but not too hard for a crumbly 61 year old!

Colin B

I've joined for a number of reasons one because I've been wanting to get back in the saddle for a while now and bike to chnology is way better than when I had my chopper so thought ppl here would be able to advise me .
Two I wanted to do a mix of commute and measure MTB and maybe find a local group to join so spectators could watch me break my legs and laugh at me lol.
Third well I've been in forums for various things over the years and the information , help and advise you can find is invaluable and if I get fit along the way so be it

Top Bottom