Have you joined because you want to lose weight and get fit in the New Year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milojhbsa

Hi Guys,\
Well this is definitely the section for me. I have been toying with the idea of taking up cycling for about 6 months. Been very hesitant as Im going on a bit, 43 and just short of 20 stone. I don't find 'normal' exercise easy but realize that unless I actually get off the couch and do some, I wont be reaching 53.

So cycling is the best choice for me, less impact on the old joints and apparently a great way to get rid of the pounds. I ride a motorbike all year round, and would not mind being able to swop to a bicycle during the warmer months to commute to work, which is a 24 mile round trip so a lot of training is needed in advance.

I'm a bit boggled about what to buy, I have been to so many cycle shops and keep being given different views on what type of bike is good for me. ~I have a budget of around 600 - and want one bike that will be a great commuter as well as riding out with the kids socially, so any advice at all would be gratefully appreciated.

Hope to learn a lot from this site.

Jason

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Hi Jason, may be worth starting a thread on what bikes section. to me, given dual purpose, a hybrid bike would be comfortable and practical. in your thread, ask for recommendation of friendly local bike shops(LBS) near you, that you can go in, ask questions, and try bikes for size. hope you enjoy the bike as much as I have since I started last january.

milojhbsa

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I have actually found a bike i'm really interested in on the classifieds on this site. Its a Dawes discovery 601 2010 model. The seller is a Steve Malkin - its even set up for my height!. I know there is a delay on newbies contacting established members on this site for 10 days if its related to the classified section so if its not breaking the rules (maybe just a slight bend?) could anyone else contact Steve and ask him to get in touch with me? If its a no no then I fully understand.

Dark46

Veteran
I've joined to get some tips from peeps about bikes and kit.

I'm not new to being on a bike as I've always had one , but not always used it properly since passing my driving test 30 years ago. I have recently changed my job and am currantly walking to walk , when I start at 5. If I start at 8 I cycle as I've no lights. But before everyone starts screaming get some! I'm looking at getting a new bike. I'm looking at hybrids.
When the new bike arrives I be aiming to cut the time down . Then on nice dry days take a detour home .Hopefully it will lead to weight loss , which will help with a lot of other things.

Jack Lin

There are many reasons make me decide to join the forums,

1. I am new to cycling, so i want to learn more bike knowledge and get tips from it.
2. I am looking forward to chatting with people here.
3. Certainly, cycling to keep my body fit.

morgan82

Hi all. New here. Looks like this is the section for me. :smile:

Over the last few weeks though I've got serious about cycling more often and I've reduced my food intake in order to lose weight. Mainly cutting out the crap I snack on inbetween meals, which I managed to do and it has not really bothered me that much, just have a drink of water or a bit of fruit seems to do the trick.

Joined the C2W scheme in work in late 2012 and got myself a Scott Sportster x40 Hybrid. The journey to work is only 3 mile all round and tbh since I've had the bike, that's all I've used it for, the ride to work and back, never ridden it in the winter and with my mate living around the corner, it was easier to just jump in his car for a lift when it was raining. So only used in good weather or when I can be bothered.

I'm now going to take the long way to work and back which will make it 12 mile all round http://www.strava.com/activities/164358020. I was using mapmyride but just could seem to get a signal with it but then found this gem of an app on Thursday.

A few of the lads got road bikes recently and with me watching the TdF, It inspired me to get a road bike. So went the bike shop today and ordered this through the C2W Scheme along with some shoes and pedals.

Really looking forward now to picking the bike up and get going. Will use my current bike for the 12 mile commute to work in any weather.

Hopefully I can now start to shift that spare tyre or two by getting a lot more excerise and not being a couch potato. :smile:

Suffolk Cycling

Hello - yes, I began cycling at the start of the year after the doctor told me I had to lose weight and lower my blood pressure. My fitness levels were non existant six months ago, but I am now well and truly hooked on cycling, have lost around a stone, and have relatively good fitness and stamina.

So I'm a little late joining the forum, but have been lurking for a bit!

BAtoo

Über Member
I joined just a year ago to train for the charity ride in my signature - and to improve my fitness as I'm very late 50's and was fairly heavy (97kg at 5'11"). I can't run a lot due to knackered knees and hate the idea of a gym.

Well I did the ride in early June (14 consecutive, days ave 77.5miles a day, 37,500ft climbed), I'm now 88/89kg and have more stamina. I've not ridden so much recently as I'm trying to do my other hobby of sailing but still did 22miles at 16mph going to the pub the other day and didn't feel whacked after it.

I started with a very basic road bike as I hadn't found the forum then to see what's what in modern bikes and then got a second-hand carbon jobbie from E-bay for the charity ride.

Dibs

Veteran
I joined a couple of years ago, with the intention of finally losing the weight I had gained in the last many years.

I didn't do too well until I started cycling again this year. Since the start of May, I've lost just over 2 stone and have since signed up for thw MacMillan London to Paris Cycle.

I still aim to lost another 1.5-2st before the trip next July.

Cycling has finally helped me get fitter again...

Go me! ^_^

:bicycle:

BigBurd

Every year we get a little surge in new members after the Christmas and New Year festivities are completed; people who are contemplating their pledge to get fit and lose weight and who look to cycling as a low impact way of doing it.

If that's you then please post here to say hello, tell us what brought you to CycleChat and let us know what your goals are.

There's plenty of people here willing to give you bike and clothing advice, help you get started and get those important first few miles under your belt, and keep you going with lots of health, training and fitness advice and encouragement into February, March and beyond (the spring and summer months are well worth the hard work of winter if you can keep plugging away!).

And don't worry about whether your questions have been asked before or whether you think it might be a stupid thing to ask - go ahead, ask - you've got nothing to lose and you might just learn a thing or two to make your new cycling bug that bit more fun and interesting.

Good luck and we hope you like it here enough to stick around and join our growing little community of cyclists, and keep coming back to update us with your progress. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Hi As you can see in the picture I could lose a few pounds hee hee

Steven

mark_gilmour

I always thought I wouldn't be one of 'those people' who suddenly in the middle of winter think its the best time to get out and try and get fit. This year though it just seems like the right time to stop making excuses and actually try!

My son has turned 3 and if i dont do something soon he will be running rings around me so its time to get fit

Top Bottom