Have you (or anyone you know) been a contestant on a TV game show?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
We usually watch a quiz show whilst eating our tea - The Chase, Tipping Point, Pointless, etc. - and I got to wondering if any of you have been a contestant on a TV game show (or anyone you know)? If so, what show was it and what was the experience like?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
About 12 years ago a bloke I knew appeared on The Weakest Link. He won about 6 grand. After his win the program had an ending bit when the winner talked about what he/she was going to spend their winnings on. He said he was going to spend it on a BMW car he had his eyes on. He bought the car, drove it and was then stopped by the police. They'd seen the program and realised the winner was serving a driving ban for drink driving. :rolleyes:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was on the weakest link in about 2003.

I was going great guns, Ann Robinson had lurgy and coughed mid question when there were 3 of us left. The filming was cut for 20 minutes and she was wheeled off.

Once recovered we resumed. I’d been awake since 4am, the studio lights frazzled me and I was dead on my feet!

I got 2 questions wrong. The person I’d voted as weak maybe 2/3 times was now the strongest, I was given the boot!

I’ve looked for the episode on YouTube, there is a clip, but not of me talking .

That’s me on the left.

A88F8C9C-8301-4AC6-AB8B-2E7015CC18DF.jpeg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I was on the weakest link in about 2003.

I was going great guns, Ann Robinson had lurgy and coughed mid question when there were 3 of us left. The filming was cut for 20 minutes and she was wheeled off.

Once recovered we resumed. I’d been awake since 4am, the studio lights frazzled me and I was dead on my feet!

I got 2 questions wrong. The person I’d voted as weak maybe 2/3 times was now the strongest, I was given the boot!

I’ve looked for the episode on YouTube, there is a clip, but not of me talking .

That’s me on the left.

View attachment 674430

Nice 😎 Was the experience cool / eye opening / nerve racking / exciting or ?

gbb

Legendary Member
Error, the worst kind.
A member of our family got involved a young woman who has had a 'troubled upbringing. I like her, there's a fire about her i like and accept but she is hard work, edgy etc etc. When you meet her family, you understand why, infighting, sometimes literally.
Some of them got into a ruck about some money and appeared on the Jeremy Kyle show to air their dirty laundry all over the country.
It didn't end well and I think even made the mainstream media it was just that daft.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My quiz mates and I once successfully got through an audition for Eggheads, but most of the production staff got the push soon after and our records and contact details went with them. Never made it to the show, but the audition was a riot.

We hadn't appreciated that we needed a sixth team member to act as a reserve, so at the very last minute I called in a favour from my mate Simon. Simon had never watched Eggheads, and had no idea what he was letting himself in for. When they started the screen test by asking us to introduce ourselves, things went fine. Then they went round us in turn asking us questions about the Eggheads, such as which one you would like to go to dinner with, which ones you reckon you could beat etc. Simon was nervous. His last words prior to entering the filming room were "Who the f*** is this CJ anyway?" and they asked him about CJ De Mooiy!! He had also been unwell quite recently, and it was very hot in there. I was seated in the front row, as were two of my team mates. Simon was one of three having to stand up behind us. Half way through answering that question, the back of my chair started shuddering, Simon went quiet and we heard a thud behind us. When I turned around, there was no sign of him. Until we looked on the floor. My mates now refer to him as "Simon the Incredible Fainting Man". We got the film crew to let us watch it back in slow motion. Epic way of avoiding a question!

I also went to an audition for Pointless with my mate Andy. We did quite well, but it was quite obvious who the successful pairs were going to be, as 8/10 contestants were, like us, your typical balding, middle-aged, white men. They went for the characterful father and son combo and the sugar daddy and bubbly blonde thicko who scored 100 on every question she answered. They do have to have a diverse bunch of contestants for each show I suppose.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
About 2 years ago I had a telephone interview for a thing that Bradley Walsh hosted, I forget what, and I must’ve passed because they called back to invite me to an audition in Manchester ( or was it Birmingham? ). I asked how much for expenses to go, and they said they didn’t pay expenses. I told the bloke to feck off, and hung up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
About 2 years ago I had a telephone interview for a thing that Bradley Walsh hosted, I forget what, and I must’ve passed because they called back to invite me to an audition in Manchester ( or was it Birmingham? ). I asked how much for expenses to go, and they said they didn’t pay expenses. I told the bloke to feck off, and hung up.

I can do 'The Chase' questions from home quite well and I'm rubbish at quizzes.

Been on the telly, on my bike, in the "amazing show" that is Chuckle Vision ! Season 2, Episode 'Cycle Crazy' - I was the lad with a white and green cap on (no potty lids then). The show got a bit of a 'cult status' in later series, we were like 'WTAF' as we got 'conned' into it by our club secretary. TBH glad I did it all these years later.

stephec

Legendary Member
I can do 'The Chase' questions from home quite well and I'm rubbish at quizzes.

Been on the telly, on my bike, in the "amazing show" that is Chuckle Vision ! Season 2, Episode 'Cycle Crazy' - I was the lad with a white and green cap on (no potty lids then). The show got a bit of a 'cult status' in later series, we were like 'WTAF' as we got 'conned' into it by our club secretary. TBH glad I did it all these years later.

Close the thread, no one's going to beat this, fossy you've now been officially elevated to legend status in my mind. 😂

Top Bottom