Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I passed my Cycling Proficiency test in 1978 or 1979. All I remember of it was riding along a painted line giving arm signals.

Also have my driving licence, motorbike licence, passed the bikesafe thing with flying colours, and did some advanced riding, but didn't take the test.

My motorbike test was a funny one. I'd applied for the test and forgotten all about it, then noticed the card on the fridge one Friday, and realised the test was the next Friday. I'd never sat on a motorbike in my life. I rang one of the local bike instructors, and though he seemed to think it was a lost cause, organised some lessons - 2hrs in morning, 2 in afternoon for Wednesday and Thursday - and bike hire for the test next week. Wednesday morning was hilarious. Learning to use a hand clutch seemed very difficult at the time. Wednesday afternoon was even worse, trying to learn how to do a feet-up u-turn. Thursday got a bit better, and on Friday morning I took the test and passed (I stalled once, but it was out of sight of the examiner as I rode around the block for the emergency stop). The guy who'd been giving me lessons was bewildered. I didn't buy a motorbike for another 10 years.

MattDB

Über Member
I recently did an 'Advanced Commuter Training' run by go smarter to work. Pretty good, I didn't know that much about road position. I don't follow this to the letter, I've compromised on riding defensively up a particularly long hill in order to let drivers past but I feel I take control more in some areas (narrow bridge lanes) where I used to let cars squeeze past. I think sometimes car drivers like to not have to make the decision whether or not to overtake. Taxi drivers on the other hand.....

@MattDB you get good and bad, I had a really close truck (artic) pass yesterday, this on a three lane road those with a dual lane to overtake slow move vehicles, I think this was lack of observation on his part as when he passed me other cars were passing him, so he badly timed it, fortunately there is a fairly wide shoulder to the carriage way that I could move on to, thats how close he was, however I still see more bad cycling per 100 than I do cars, trucks buses ect....

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I passed in the late '70s and I still have the badge to prove it!

If the Highway Code was law, and bad drivers could be prosecuted for contravening the rules therein, it might be worth promoting CP a bit more. As ever, society throws the ball into the cyclists' court.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Passed mine. Our instructor spent two days telling us that a glass delivery truck had just cut off my arm, every time I failed to look before indicating.

We had a glass delivery business in the local high street. I still avoid going that way on a bike.

Attachments

• 16420_10152379734741607_1068426097106370431_n.jpg
    16420_10152379734741607_1068426097106370431_n.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 37

rovers1875

Veteran
Passed mine in the early 1970's Mum & dad bought me a Dawes single speed for my birthday, but wouldn't let me ride it until I'd passed my proficiency. It was the longest 3/4 weeks of my life.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My original signature on here was

'I have a terrible confession to make; I failed my Cycle Proficiency Test at School'

Despite remembering all that was taught (and having ridden on the roads for a few years beforehand), I was deemed too timid and lacking in confidence, not because I didn't know what to do, but because of the actual test itself - I failed the first time due to some minor thing (not looking back properly I think), so I had a second chance and well, I just got nervous about it and blew it (yes, an 11 year old MDB got nervous once in 1994!! :laugh:).

So, I became one of only two in my year to fail. The irony is that it was probably the best lesson I ever had regarding cycling, and I still use a lot of what I learned out on the roads (although I also have learned a lot since then, including on here) when the others who passed have probably forgotten it all! :cycle:
If I had passed as a mere formality then it wouldn't have meant anything to me, but because I failed, I learned from it instead.

So no, The Great Mad Doug Biker isn't even passed for the roads, and I like it that way!! :giggle:

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think with me, the other reason I failed was that, as others have said, it didn't really bear much resemblance to actually cycling on the roads.
It was in the School Playground (which admittedly had road marking printed on it purely for the test, but still, one needed a bit of imagination to do it properly).
I guess, having had experience on the roads and cycletracks*, trying to do it all so technically and accurately with invisible cars, cones, slow speeds and so on, just messed with me, and certainly, the reason why I failed the first time, i.e. Because I didn't look over my shoulder properly, was more because..... Well, I knew I could do it, but why would I? There were no cars or anything so it was all rather pointless and remember telling the instructor that! :laugh:

The second time, it all just cooked my head as I was so nervous and as I have said it was just so removed from anything I had known before.

For many years after that I made a point of always looking over my shoulder properly!! :crazy:

* - We lived round the corner from the fantastic cycletrack to Glasgow and beyond, several miles of perfectly smooth, car free, tarmac, so I did a lot of my early cycling on it and on the quiet roads round about as well as going places in town, etc. I probably had more experience than a lot of the people taking the test.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This was in Primary 7 when we did it and it was done by the Police, but, I also remember getting into trouble from my teacher (who was left handed) for starting off my bike using my left foot when I was right handed.
I have ALWAYS started off left footed and told him so!! :rolleyes: (To be fair, he was a bit of an idiot about certain things and I got into trouble and even slagged off for doing some very legitimate things which he had no right to tell me off for. He was the only male teacher we had during Primary School, so I think people in my class were sort of in awe of him, but my Mum, who is a retired teacher, always says that a lot of male Primary School teachers are a lot lazier, although I couldn't possibly comment).

Also, (and getting back to the CP) we had a picture taken in the local paper about how we were getting cycle training, and I was the only one without a helmet, even in 1994!!

Last edited:

Tojo

Über Member
This was in Primary 7 when we did it, and I also remember getting into trouble from my teacher (who was left handed) for starting off my bike using my left foot when I was right handed.
I have ALWAYS started off left footed and told him so!! :rolleyes: (To be fair, he was a bit of an idiot about certain things and I got into trouble and even slagged off for doing some very legitimate things which he had no right to tell me off for. He was the only male teacher we had during Primary School and my Mum, who is a retired teacher, always says that a lot of male Primary School teachers are a lot lazier, although I couldn't possibly comment).

Also, we had a picture taken in the local paper about how we were getting cycle training, and I was the only one without a helmet, even in 1994!!

I just thought male primary school teachers were either, bullies or hadn't yet came out of the closest.........:whistle:

Top Bottom